Nikon Df Battery Drain

Edit My Images
No
Finally gave in to my years long itch to try a Df picking up a used body with 9K on it for a decent price but I'm noticing what seems to be an issue with battery drain. I don't think its present(or at least not as notable) when the camera is off and the actual use itself doesn't seem to excessively drain it but when its switched on I'd guess I'm loosing about 1/3(one bar) every 90 mins or so, granted I'm used to larger D800/D850 batteries but that seems excessive for me. At first I put it down to the Nikon branded ENEl14a's the camera came with thinking they'd probably been in use for years on end but having picked up a brand new battery its doing pretty much the same thing, maybe lasting slightly longer. Hard to tell for sure since I'm guessing the smaller camera is always going to be slightly warmer than a D8** body but maybe some slight heat coming off of it although much less than say recording prolonged video with a D850.

Is there some potentially setting I'm missing which is causing this? I'v made sure the wifi is off(doesn't have a dongle on anyway), given it a reset with the display/flash double button press but can't think of much else. It does still seem to be running on the original firm wear but I'm a little loathed to update that as if I'm dealing with a fault with the camera itself as I do have the potential to return it so would want to be able to do so as it was sold.

I spose its not TOO big a problem right now in terms of my typical use but I don't really want to be happing on top a camera were there might some some kind of short/capacitor problem potentially getting worse with time and maybe being a fire risk?

Last edited:
4 1/2 hours total in my book is good for constant use .

Turn it off between shots! It's not quite as easy as on most Nikon bodies but hardly a major issue. I've always found that by the time the camera's up to my eye, it's fully awake and ready to shoot.

Maybe one of the timer settings like Auto meter-off set to never?

Maybe one of the timer settings like Auto meter-off set to never?
I do believe you've got it in one, never been so happy to make such a simple mistake, I blame years of shooting a D850 set to 30 secs and the small DF top plate LCD. ;)

Back