Nikon film camera

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking at a number of possible package deals on ebay and elsewhere that include a film camera and lenses. I was originally looking at one of these deals only for the lenses but I now quite like the idea of using film too.

Thinking Nikon which cameras will fit my current lenses (see sig) is it any of them as I suspect, I do appreciate that some of my current lenses are the wrong format!

Also which cameras should I really be looking at? I am particularly interested in having a play with B&W and possibly IR film but I would like to use some colour too.

The FM2 series are nice cameras but manual only with that all your lens will fit BUT only the 50mm and 85mm will be compatable (the 'G' series lens have no aperature ring and the 'DX' lens is digital so you will get vignetting on a film camera).

Now machine that will work with the 50, 85 and 105 could be anything AF so
F4
F90x
F100
F5
F6

With the F4, F90x and F100 you have to use the 105mm G lens in Shutter Priority or Program modes. Pick the shutter speed and the camera looks after the aperture.

Out of that lot I think most people will advise to go for the F100, not as heavy as the F4/F5 machines, but way more advanced than the F90x

I am fairley sure the 18-200 DX lens will give you vignetting as it is designed to work with the smaller sized sensor of the digital camera.

SB600 and SB800 should work on all the AF cameras but unsure about what functionality you could/will loose.

Manual cameras?
FM (original machine 1/1000 top speed + 1/125 flash sync)
FM2 (like above but 1/4000 top speed + 1/200 flash sync)
FM2n (like above but flash sync now 1/250 and shutter curtain changed from titanimum to aluminium)
F3 last of the Nikons before AF machine were used by pros, has aperature priorty and manual, Oh and your flash units will not connect to it unless you gat and adaptor.

But as mentioned in the opening bit I think only the 50, 85 lens will be fully compatable with these.

Thats really helpful thanks.

Have you found any aliens yet ?

I've got an FM2n, which I like very much with the 50mm f/1.8 D.
To use your 105mm G lens the requirement is a camera which offers Programme or Shutter Priority modes.

Which body you get depends on your budget.
The F100 is excellent (around £200), much loved by all.
The FM2n is also excellent and is cheaper (£140ish) and small, but won't work with your G lenses.
The F90 is very cheap (£50-100, depending on condition and if it's an F90x) and should work with everything as well, but not perfectly. You have to use Programme or Shutter Priority modes with the G lenses, or shoot wide open. The F90 expects the aperture to be set by the lens, not the body in Aperture Priority or Manual.

The F100 will also work with VR where the F90 won't.

It all depends on what the body is for and what your budget is. Personally I went for the FM2n, because I wanted a portable body and didn't want autofocus, and I knew it would work with my current 35mm, 50mm and 105mm lenses so I wouldn't be too upset if I bought a new lens that didn't work with it. I'd never put a huge VR, G zoom on it anyway, I have it for portability.

Personally, if I ever did want to take film out with new zoom lenses, I'd probably get an F100 or F5. By the time I want to do it they'll both be even cheaper than they are now.

Thanks but it was in relation to kits that people are selling so that I get the lenses, other bits and the camera too and overall the price works out cheaper. I am in no hurry so just keep looking at all the kits that come up. There was a kit I could have picked up for about £220 with a nifty fifty a 30-200, a flash, a camera and filters for example. Well after reselling the 50 the rest would have cost around £150. the 30-200 would have been a handy spare lens for my 2nd body and worth the £150 anyway so the camera would have cost me nothing (in a roundabout way!).

I am just biding my time.

I am trying to buy a barely used (20 rolls of film maximum) FM2 with 50mm f1.8 Nikkor and two other Sigma lenses from my work - They have been unused for many years, and i don't like to see them sitting in the cupboard. I've test fired the shutter and checked the aperture operation of the lenses and they seem fine (they are stored in a Peli case). I was only buying them to give them an outing to be honest, so i'd rather they go somewhere where they will get some decent usage.

If you are interested then drop me a message and i can provide more details - i'm not looking for a fortune for them, dealers ask silly prices in my opinion; but then i'm no Nikon expert so I have no real feel for how good or bad the FM2 is.

ITs detailed in this thread..

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1311910#post1311910

I would go for an F80 or F100 to give as much compatability with your current lenses as possible. Either body should work fine and allow AF, metering and VR to work. The only problems you will have are with Dx lenses (as you know). Check your SB-X00 manuals to see how compatible they are with assorted bodies.

All seems like good advice. I think the 105 VR macro (nice lens by the way! - one I'd like to get hold of) should work supremely on an F100. I don't think the F100 or F5 supports CLS, but I'm sure the SB800 will work with TTL flash on the F100. For CLS you'll need the F6 probably.

I am totally new to film SLRs :)

Which bodies will auto focus, meter and just generally work with modern lenses? Do any of them work with the G lenses?

How do I choose which film to buy for portraits, landscapes etc

Are some films better for some cameras? If so what would be good for an OM10 in the garden/outside and what would be good for the same with the Nikon.

F5 will work with the G series
F4s won't, as there is no dial on the body to adjust the aperture. Actually, that's not strictly true. On the F4 series, you could use Program mode and Shutter priority, as the camera would calculate the correct aperture and set it accordingly.
It's just if you wanted to use aperture priority, there would be no method for you to select the aperture manually, (of course, the same problem with full manual use)
There would be some of the lower cameras (non F line) such as the F80 or F100 which would be fine with G type mounts. You need to check there is the dial for the aperture selection at the front grip. (Or some button combination with the rear dial, such as you have currently with the D40 et al)

I think the F65, which is cheap as chips, is ok too, but verify before purchase

I have seen some cameras F401,501 etc for sale extremely cheaply. If all the lenses don't work it is not the end of the world but unfortunately a lot of my lenses are G lenses. I use aperture mode 80% of the time so would prefer something that would use that.

You need to look here for a compatible list of cameras against lens mounts.
Yes, I know, It's Ken R*ckwell, but never mind!
According to the list, 401 and 801 are ok. the 401 was ultra basic, and likely to frustrate you. Look for an F65 which is fully compatible, and about £35 to £45 with a standard sort of kit lend thing (spits!)

I've seen a few F65s and even a few with useful lenses too. I doubt that I will go big style film but it would be nice to give it a try.

Anybody got any idea how I choose what film to buy there seems to be a lot of choice and I don't know what I am looking at. I used to just pick ASA400 or 100 dependant on what I was shooting and either pick what was cheap or if I was flush I might pick a brand I had heard of.

Do you know, I would put you off the autofocus film bodies altogether! You have that with your digital system.

If you want to get the full film experience, I would send you down the route that came up earlier - FM2 or FE2. They have a clockwork shutter, built from etched titanium in a honeycomb pattern - an absolute work of art. The later ones had plain blades, same as the later F3 and F4. They work fine, but the craftsmanship in those early shutter blades and the rest of the mechanism was like a SWiss watch - really beautiful and smooth to use.

The FE2 uses button batteries to power the light meter and shutter, with a clcokwork 1/250th setting as a fall back if your batteries die in the field, at least you can do something, but only have 1/250th until you can replace the batteries (a 20p piece is handy for this! Use it as a screw driver to undo the cover. My thumb nail was never enough!)

The FM2 is all mechanical workings with a battery only to power the light meter. Both of these use the matched needle system, a swinging needle in the left of the finder shows where the shutter needs to be to match the aperture chosen. Your shutter set was marked by a green indicator strip - superimposed on the shutte speed list. It was simply a translucent green strip, so again, nothing to go wrong. All you had to do was alter the aperture shutter to match the green strip with the swinging needle. It was actually pretty accurate (centre weighted with 80% bias) and you could judge a bit either side according to your background by just having the swinging needle a bit over or under the green strip.

Don't forget, film is more forgiving than digital, so you don't need 1/10th EV accuracy! 1/2 EV is close enough and after a while you will be able to judge it more accurately than that.

The FE2 and FMs are built superbly, the manual wind on can be completed in a series of short strokes, or one long one, up to you. You don't have to select which, you just do it. The wind on lever can be wound with your thumb with the viewfinder to your eye and finger on the shutter button. I could shoot and wind nearly as fast as a motordrive when I was suing these full time - excellent ergonomics, lightweight bodies but really well built. A motordrive was available that used 8 AAs (I have ogt one somehwre in a box...haven't seen it for a bit!) - Oh, and they have 1/250th flash synch, also first camera to have 1/4000th. Speed from 30 seconds - 1/4000 plus bulb.

Another option, quite a bit less common, but a step forward in that it had shutter priority too, was the FA. Again, a pro spec body, it couldn't use the MFD12 motordrive, but had its own dedicated motordrive, the MD15. I had one of these too. Same 1/250th synch speed and 1/4000 top end. 30 secs, bulb and also T (time) - this turned the battery off for long exposures to save power.
P,S,A and M available. The shutter priority system n this camera was superb. You set your shutter speed and it worked its way down the matching aperture, until it reached wide open (f2.8? f1.4? whatever) then if there was insuficient light it started to knock off the shutter speed until it was balanced to the aperture....so you got "correct" exposure, you might get camera shake, but you might not - at least you didn't just run out of options. You could see this in the viewfinder....plenty of info in the viewfinders of all 3 so far.

F4 (probably better to get the S version) these are built like brick outhouses. Absolutely solid build, but more relaince again on electronics. First of the matrix metered bodies. AF, using a screw drive for AFD lenses and also works AF1 or AFS lenses with their own motors. Single point AF, in the middle of the frame and a small aiming point too - good for accuracy, but not as good as modern, so you would probably be disappointed with it, or even frustrated after your modern body - hence my suggestion you might as well go for manual focus. AFS, AFD and AIS lenses or before will all work on ANY film body. It is only the G lenses that start to come unstuck. Nikon compatability works the other way - old lenses will work on modern bodies.......they haven't really thought about photographers buying new lenses and bodies and then looking to go backwards!

The modern series of F100, F401, F801s (a good camera in its day) F90X etc...all VERY plastic in comparison to the older ones I have suggested. PLUS, the FM2 or FE2 will, if in good condition, always be of interest to collectors - because of the firsts they set: 1/250 flash synch and 1/4000 fastest shutter speed.

Your modern photography will benefit greatly from the experience you will gain by manual exposure, or matched meter A, and manual focus and film winding....it will slow you down and make you think a bit more. You will also gain a fundamental understanding of whais happenign....useful when it comes to understanding the decisions your modern camera makes fo ryou....most times it hasn't a clue what you want and just goes for the safe middle ground.......

:agree:
Although I think Lensflare ignored the F5 due to pricing, as it compares extremely well to modern DSLRs. The FA was very under-rated when first launched, but gathered world wide acclaim as critics began to understand it's potential.
I still have mine. A superb camera.

If you go down the manual focus route, take a look at the Tamron Adaptall2 series of lenses. Great lenses and a great range of options, and they'll fit anything of that era and most of today's too!

Thanks for all the information everyone (lensflare, that was a serious long post) just need to find the right example now. Most of my lenses are g lenses though so no aperture rings and didn't want to pay out more than necessary whilst saving fir my D700

The FM2 is all mechanical workings with a battery only to power the light meter. Both of these use the matched needle system, a swinging needle in the left of the finder shows where the shutter needs to be to match the aperture chosen. Your shutter set was marked by a green indicator strip - superimposed on the shutte speed list. It was simply a translucent green strip, so again, nothing to go wrong. All you had to do was alter the aperture shutter to match the green strip with the swinging needle. It was actually pretty accurate (centre weighted with 80% bias) and you could judge a bit either side according to your background by just having the swinging needle a bit over or under the green strip.

the fm's used the + o - lights ,the fm3a used the matched needle system and the centre weighted metre was 60 /40 . i think the f3 was 80/20

oh thats rright - the traffic lights! I had got muxed up (again.) It was a long time ago now.

I think I have some original sales brochures for the FA, FE2 and the F4S. Gave my FE2 to the local school photo department.

come on simon ,,,,but some film ,,,,,you know you want to :D

Back