weekly Nortdog's TP52 For 2014 - Week 27 Rich

hi, as above nice idea you have composed it really well, the white BG still a little grey on the right, its very hard to get a good white BG

I like this idea and whilst I like the shallow dof, I think I would prefer the shavings, at least, to all be in focus if possible. Nice colours though. I agree with the comments regarding the background.

Hi Adam :)

Twisted - Now that certainly seems worth the effort, Lovely bright twisty shaving, DoF is good as is the composition, trying to think whether it needed to be a tad deeper, but think it is just fine as is, well lit too, bringing out the shine on the green sections - Nice On :clap:

Hi Adam, good work on twisted, bang on theme (y)
The bright vivid colours of the pencil are particularly appealing, as is the low pov taken. Simple yet very effective.

I think that's a great idea for the theme. Like the plain background. I do agree with DK in thinking could do with a greater depth of field though, i think the shavings and some of the pencil in focus would improve it personally.

Great idea, nice colour, nice composition but .... I'd prefer a little more DOF.

Thank you everybody for the kind comments once again, I do agree after looking again I could have done with a little more depth of field. I need to work on my white backgrounds too!

lovely, super sharp, great colours and well lit, with some nice soft shadows under the shavings.

Worth using up a whole pencil for! The shavings on the left almost look like a flower :)

Still playing a bit of catch up this week but nearly there now! I know what im doing for shape, just waiting for it to go dark! I've gone with some fruit for this theme (not very original at all I know:facepalm:) ive gone in close and back lit it for something a bit different and held off on the clarity and sharpening to take it a bit more abstract. cheers for looking guys.

IMG_7928 by Nortdog, on Flickr

I really like that, really vibrant and great deal nice take on the theme

Hi, really like that, for me you could have gone with the sharpening and clarity the image is abstract enough,
nice image and good colour (y)

Fantastic colours and a good crop - all round great image :clap: Only one minor crit - and I know I'm being OCD here - is that I noticed one of the seeds is pointing in the "wrong" direction and now it keeps drawing my attention to itself!

You and me both playing catch up !!!!

Fresh - Like thaT Adam, it could be a bit sharper, but you have covered that, I really like it, nice idea backlighting it, and as an abstract it works great in my opinion, great colour and a very effective crop (y)
Hi, really like that, for me you could have gone with the sharpening and clarity the image is abstract enough,
nice image and good colour (y)
Cheers guys, I might go back and have a play with the clarity and sharpening to see if it improves it

Fantastic colours and a good crop - all round great image :clap: Only one minor crit - and I know I'm being OCD here - is that I noticed one of the seeds is pointing in the "wrong" direction and now it keeps drawing my attention to itself!
Your completely right, that's all I can see now too! :banghead:

Excellent .. is it kiwi fruit ?

You're an inspiration Nortdog.

Last edited:
Fresh back lighting has worked well and do like the crop

Craig
Thanks Craig
Originality is over rated :)

I like it. Very vivid colours and the clarity is good.

Cheers.
cheers Andy.
Excellent .. is it kiwi fruit ?

You're an inspiration Nortdog.
Thanks David, that's very kind. Ye it's a kiwi.
Hi Adam,
Most things have already been covered, vibrant colours and a great idea :)
Thanks very much Judi

great shot this week adam, wish Elaine hadnt mentioned that seed, as it really jumps out at me now.

love the colours and the backlighting here.

A double post catch up for me now means im finally up to date! For shape I decided to break out the light painting gear (I don't need much of an excuse!) I tried to get something similar last winter but didn't get the orb as round as id have liked to attempted the same shot for this theme.

Orb Light Painting by Nortdog, on Flickr

I know this wouldn't qualify for 'bang on theme' but I went to the Steel City Downhill Race in my local grenoside woods this weekend and enjoyed shooting the riders and the event. It was challenging at times with the woods being quite dark compared to the light shining through the trees, plus needing a fast enough shutter to keep up!

IMG_7953 by Nortdog, on Flickr

I'm liking that a lot. Still enough, but also showing some movement. The subject well lit.
Shame about all the tape and the people in the background. Maybe you can go back and take a shot there when no one is around and combine the two? :)

Great work on the downhill rider... perfect sense of spped and motion but still retaining sharpness.

Only thing is the background, can't help but feel there must have been somewhere with less distractions, the tape isn't a problem, but the people and tents especially do detract.

Shapes good (y) haven't done any orbs miself for awhile getting them to look perfectly round isn't easy, like the light painting too (y)

I don't mind the background too much on the pushbike image, think it adds to the scene (y) the only thing I though was unfortunate placing was the flag top sticking out his back and the orange tent behind him. Focus and motion blur on front wheel looks good, well executed (y)

I'm liking that a lot. Still enough, but also showing some movement. The subject well lit.
Shame about all the tape and the people in the background. Maybe you can go back and take a shot there when no one is around and combine the two? :)
Thanks Chris, Ye there were a few distractions but hard to get away from them!
I am liking the orb shot lovely colours superb work.
thanks Mandy
Like the orb, etc. The light painting really works.
Thanks very much Andrew
Great work on the downhill rider... perfect sense of spped and motion but still retaining sharpness.

Only thing is the background, can't help but feel there must have been somewhere with less distractions, the tape isn't a problem, but the people and tents especially do detract.
Ye agree about distractions, it was quite a busy day so places near the action were pretty slim!
Shapes good (y) haven't done any orbs miself for awhile getting them to look perfectly round isn't easy, like the light painting too (y)

I don't mind the background too much on the pushbike image, think it adds to the scene (y) the only thing I though was unfortunate placing was the flag top sticking out his back and the orange tent behind him. Focus and motion blur on front wheel looks good, well executed (y)
Cheers phil

Back