Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Hello all. Quick question regarding the high resolution shooting mode on the E-M1 Mk3.
I'm thinking this is great for landscapes where there is minimal movement within the frame, but can it be used for long exposure seascape photography also, or, can it be used in conjunction with the live ND feature?

Thanks.

Hey!
Before I go and waste an evening shooting images that won't work, does anyone have any knowledge over the limitations of using the super high resolution modes please. I'm more wondering if I was going long exposures of water, say 1 second and longer. Has anyone tried this? Thanks.

If it is the same as the Lumix system the images are created by the camera moving the sensor slightly and then stacking the images in camera. My understanding of this is that images with things moving in them can come out a little funny. I was watching a video on YT earlier actually where the tog was using the high res mode on his Oly and deliberately stayed away from images with water. I will caveat this with the fact I haven't used it on moving subjects on my Lumix gear, only more static landscape, architecture and macro type shots

Hey!
Before I go and waste an evening shooting images that won't work, does anyone have any knowledge over the limitations of using the super high resolution modes please. I'm more wondering if I was going long exposures of water, say 1 second and longer. Has anyone tried this? Thanks.
You'll get artifacts of the sensor movement.

That's not to say don't try it. Just don't expect miracles.

Hi-Res should be used on static subjects, even leaves in wind create artifacts and ghosts.

Trouble is with a lot of these diffusers is they seem to be lens and flash specific. I still do macro on my Lumix stuff also you see, with the 105 sigma art, 100mm 2:1 laowa and the 25mm 2.5-5x laowa, so I'm a searching for a flash diffuser that I can switch h between systems...not having much luck

Last edited:
Trouble is with a lot of these diffusers is they seem to be lens and flash specific. I still do macro on my Lumix stuff also you see, with the 105 sigma art, 100mm 2:1 laowa and the 25mm 2.5-5x laowa, so I'm a searching for a flash that I can switch h between systems...not having much luck

While they are camera, lens and flash specific
I use my OM1 M.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Godoc V350 diffuser with
E-M1ii Laowa 50mm f2.8 and Nissin i40 or the same camera and flash now with the 90mm f2.8 but the 90mm doesn't fit as well but works great

With the 90mm
Large red damselfly 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Earwig by Alf Branch, on Flickr

With the 50mm Laowa

Mite eating collembola by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Wodlouse 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hey!

Here are some but I would not shoot for motion

Buttermere morning reflection by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Buttermere big clouds by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This is a single shot

Parton cloudy mono by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
So, if shooting seascapes on a tripod, use the handheld 50mp option and not the 80mp.

BTW, those images are fab!

I corrected my error above I would not shoot motion images in Hi Res i only have an E-M1ii so I don't have HHHR
Hi Res does work for those shots where you are smoothing out minor ripples but I switch to low res occasionally to cover off the bases

Thanks

So I popped to the beach to try the high resolution hand held option out. Nothing special, just wanted to see how it performed with static images and also the sea.

I'll retry again with a tripod and a big stopped and see what results I get

Attachments

• 1000039754.jpg
    1000039754.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 1000039752.jpg
    1000039752.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 15
  • 1000039750.jpg
    1000039750.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 15
  • 1000039748.jpg
    1000039748.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 15
So I popped to the beach to try the high resolution hand held option out. Nothing special, just wanted to see how it performed with static images and also the sea.

I'll retry again with a tripod and a big stopped and see what results I get

You need to test these things IMO in order to be happy they work for you on the E-M1ii the Hi res mode mode is limited to 8 seconds I recall

Technical support please from the boffins!

1: Looking for some suggestions.. I just tried to attach my Viltrox EFM2 adapter to my OM5 and then attached the Canon 100-400 L also the 70-300 L.. and it's just totally black on the display. Tried wiggling around and cleaning the contacts etc, but nothing... any suggestions from the experts?

2: The FN lever on the back (same as on the EM5 ii and EM5 iii etc) I recall, you could make FN1 be for single AF and FN2 to be continuous AF. But despite trying every option in the relevant settings bit I can't figure it out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Technical support please from the boffins!

1: Looking for some suggestions.. I just tried to attach my Viltrox EFM2 adapter to my OM5 and then attached the Canon 100-400 L also the 70-300 L.. and it's just totally black on the display. Tried wiggling around and cleaning the contacts etc, but nothing... any suggestions from the experts?

2: The FN lever on the back (same as on the EM5 ii and EM5 iii etc) I recall, you could make FN1 be for single AF and FN2 to be continuous AF. But despite trying every option in the relevant settings bit I can't figure it out. Does anyone have any suggestions?
No real idea but did see look it up and the user reviews here https://www.viltroxstore.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=136
do talk about Firmware updating........not clear is they mean on their Oly bodies or the Vitrox :thinking:

I have one of these diffusers, they are pretty good and cheaper than most alternatives out there. there is also a review of them HERE with a 10% off (if it's still in date).
Yes, I think I will go for one of those but there are also some on eBay I'm looking to get also, to test.

I've seen that site (it's where I found the diffuser initially) and will order one of those I think.

While they are camera, lens and flash specific
I use my OM1 M.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Godoc V350 diffuser with
E-M1ii Laowa 50mm f2.8 and Nissin i40 or the same camera and flash now with the 90mm f2.8 but the 90mm doesn't fit as well but works great

With the 90mm
Large red damselfly 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Earwig by Alf Branch, on Flickr

With the 50mm Laowa

Mite eating collembola by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Wodlouse 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr
Great work what do you think of the 90mm is it a big upgrade from the 60mm?

I must say I am very impressed with the OM1 Mki and the 90mm, so much so that I'm considering selling off my FF macro gear and funding a second body with the 60mm.

I'm heading to the botanical gardens tomorrow (can't use flash) so will take the S5ii and sigma 105 F2.8 Macro and the Olympus stuff and use both and see how the images look. The Olympus focuses faster that's for sure. But it will be interesting to see how they both cope in the butterfly house when there is only the ambient light and no flash to fall back on.

Last edited:
So, I am going to sell off some lumix FF gear now as it will just not get used. It is looking at a trade in via mpb / wex at circa £2,300. I could now use this to fund a second OM body in the sale, the 60mm macro and the 2x teleconverter. Question for you more clued up on the OM cameras if I may. If I got an OM 5 to go with the 60mm it would obvioulsy make it an even smaller set up / back up body and lens. Am I missing out on much in terms of the OM 1 mki vs OM 5 purely for macro? The difference is around £500 between the OM 1 and the OM 5 with the same 60mm and 2x.

So, I am going to sell off some lumix FF gear now as it will just not get used. It is looking at a trade in via mpb / wex at circa £2,300. I could now use this to fund a second OM body in the sale, the 60mm macro and the 2x teleconverter. Question for you more clued up on the OM cameras if I may. If I got an OM 5 to go with the 60mm it would obvioulsy make it an even smaller set up / back up body and lens. Am I missing out on much in terms of the OM 1 mki vs OM 5 purely for macro? The difference is around £500 between the OM 1 and the OM 5 with the same 60mm and 2x.

You know MC-20 will not fit the 60mm I presume.
The EVF will look physically smaller on the OM5 that and different batteries are why I parted with my EM5iii.
I would like an OM5 for some situations but not enough myself.

I have the OM5 and very much like it. However, it is by all accounts not as good as the OM1 series. For me, I’m very happy with it but it’s definitely mid range..

The 2X converter will work with your 60mm, as long as you put extension tubes on the body. But the 90mm macro is a different animal, admittedly it's twice the price, but you are getting a lens that is incredible, but don't take my word for it, have a look at the umpteen reviews on Youtube about it.

So I've made the move over to Olympus/OM systems today with a nice used EM1.3 and 12-40 f2.8.

Definitely feels a step up from my previous MFT camera which was a Panasonic Lumix G80 with the 12-60 kit lens.

Was looking at all sorts and spent a good hour and half deliberating what to go for but the E-M1.3 felt best in the hands.

Kept hold of my 60mm macro lens.

After some good guides to set the camera up, has anyone got a link to anything online?

And also looking for a second battery. Is there anything else that'll work fine besides the original batteries?

Hopefully get out with it tomorrow and have some photos to post up.

The 2X converter will work with your 60mm, as long as you put extension tubes on the body. But the 90mm macro is a different animal, admittedly it's twice the price, but you are getting a lens that is incredible, but don't take my word for it, have a look at the umpteen reviews on Youtube about it.
I have the 90 mm and it's fantastic (imo). Hence I've just parted with all my FF macro kit

Back