On-Camera Speedlight modifiers for use at Puzzlewood

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,

It's been an age since I was last here but there's always a wealth of knowledge and so I thought I'd request some advice!

I'm off to Puzzlewood in a few days for a family holiday (for those that don't know, it's a temperate rainforest that is located in the Forest of Dean).
Obviously taking the camera (D7000) and my flashes etc but they have a zero tripod policy due to the delicate nature of the place (probably unless you are a paying film producing company or the BBC or something as a lot of things have been filmed there - Merlin, Planet Earth, Harry Potter, to name a few).

Anyway, this means I probably can't take my lighting stands and brollies for my two Yn-568ex speedlights. So I'll need to put them either on their feet, or just mounted on the top of the camera.

So I'm looking for decent modifiers that will fit a speedlight when it's mounted on the camera. Trying to keep the diffusion as even as possible over a wide area.

Any advice would be welcome!

I've just seen the Rogue FlashBender XL Pro Lighting System stuff, like this: https://www.rogueflash.com/products...22888&pr_ref_pid=4619391336584&pr_seq=uniform

But anything else better? Budget concious of ideally no more than £100 as I want to stay married. :)

Just taken a quick look at the FAQ on fro Photography on the Puzzlewood site -

Q. What Is your policy on photography and filming?

Snap away with your camera only, drones and tripods are NOT permitted. Please do not block the pathways, be respectful to others and always stay on the pathways – this is for your own safety and to protect the environment. Visitors may be asked to stop taking photographs if they are causing concern to staff or a nuisance to other visitors.
It depends on how busy it is, but I suspect that they may not be particularly keen on you having flash + brollies, even if handheld by other members of the group, as you will take up a fair bit of space like that.

Frankly, nearly all of the modifiers designed for flashguns are far too small to be actually useful at any kind of distance, and especially outdoors. They're designed to be sold, not used:(

The only real exception is umbrellas, although bounce cards are also sometimes useful. But don't bother with shoot-through umbrellas, they lose so much light that what's left is useless, so use a reflective umbrella instead.

It may be that the rules don't allow you to use a flash, let alone an umbrella, and what you do about that is up to you . . .

My take on it is that rules are for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools, and my approach has always been never to ask for permission, just do it unless and until someone tells you to stop:)

Just taken a quick look at the FAQ on fro Photography on the Puzzlewood site -

It depends on how busy it is, but I suspect that they may not be particularly keen on you having flash + brollies, even if handheld by other members of the group, as you will take up a fair bit of space like that.

The beauty of it is that we are staying in one of their cottages, so get access to the area after it's closed to public :)

I'll re-read the rules. Edit: ruiles don't mention flash. They do mention photo shoots, but I'm not doing this professionally so should be fine.

@chrism8 yes I was considering that too. Good call. Edit: Monopod with the brolly adapter should work for this, although my kids 10 & 7 seem to have zero upper body strength, so they'll probably complain! :LOL:

@Garry Edwards thanks for the guidance here... My brolly is one of those that is shoot-through, but has a cover that turns it into a reflective type, so hopefully ok there.

Last edited:
What exactly are you wanting to use lighting for? I can't really think of anything that would particularly benefit from wide flat (soft) lighting in a forest... macro, portraits?

What exactly are you wanting to use lighting for? I can't really think of anything that would particularly benefit from wide flat (soft) lighting in a forest... macro, portraits?
Exactly that. Some fun family photos with the kids dressed up in fairy/elvish bits, and if I can, a bit of macro.

If you get access to the site when its closed to the public I would take the lot if you have space, sods law you will be OK when its closed and you will kick yourself for not having it and find you can use it

Exactly that. Some fun family photos with the kids dressed up in fairy/elvish bits, and if I can, a bit of macro.
Macro doesn't require large, it requires close.
For those types of portraits/images I think "environmental" lighting/atmosphere would be better and more on theme. I.e. I would be looking more at using hard light to create rays through the trees, or counter overly deep shadows... no real need for modifiers.

Last edited:
I sometimes use a small video light (hand held) the beauty is it's small and light, and you can just move it around seeing the effect on the flower, once you get the angle you like Bobs your uncle.

Handheld lighting pole, and as suggested, get one of your assistants to hold it. Mines Lastolite and was less than £20, but you could get a spigot to mount on a monopod.

Back