"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

If you are not cropping, the standard 20MP image would give you about 9 pixels per mm or about 225 DPI.
The high resolution image would give about double. (all approx, as it would depend a bit on whether you printed to the long side or short side)

Unless you looked very closely or with a magnifying glass, you probably wouldn't see much difference.

The difference may not even show depending on things like the lens, atmospherics, how rock solid the camera was mounted, printer etc.

With perfect conditions, the high res mode would allow you to print 1/4 of the area of the original to the same standard as the whole frame of a 20MP shot.

On the screen it would only be obvious if you enlarged a particular portion until you started to lose detail, then looked at the same portion at the same screen size on the hi res shot.
Alternatively choose a section of a 100% crop on the hi res version, then make the same section the same size on the screen from the 20MP shot, and theoretically you should see a difference.

Whether it will improve an A2 print, viewed from a distance where you can see the whole image is probably questionable, even if every stage and component of the operation is perfect.

And even if it did, it won't make a poor shot look good, the photographers skills and talent will have a far greater effect on the "look" of the print

Looking through my old files: a Buccaneer shipborn bomber at the Yorkshire Aircraft Museum (G9 / Leica 100~400mm)...

Buccaneer bomber at Yorkshire Air Museum G9 P1012258.jpeg

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9: contains a 20.3 Mpixel sensor. The High Resolution Mode takes a sequence of 8 shots in quick succession between which the sensor is shifted by 0.5 pixel for each image. These are subsequently merged into an 80 Mpixel image.

If you are not cropping, the standard 20MP image would give you about 9 pixels per mm or about 225 DPI.
The high resolution image would give about double. (all approx, as it would depend a bit on whether you printed to the long side or short side)

Unless you looked very closely or with a magnifying glass, you probably wouldn't see much difference.

The difference may not even show depending on things like the lens, atmospherics, how rock solid the camera was mounted, printer etc.

With perfect conditions, the high res mode would allow you to print 1/4 of the area of the original to the same standard as the whole frame of a 20MP shot.

On the screen it would only be obvious if you enlarged a particular portion until you started to lose detail, then looked at the same portion at the same screen size on the hi res shot.
Alternatively choose a section of a 100% crop on the hi res version, then make the same section the same size on the screen from the 20MP shot, and theoretically you should see a difference.

Whether it will improve an A2 print, viewed from a distance where you can see the whole image is probably questionable, even if every stage and component of the operation is perfect.

And even if it did, it won't make a poor shot look good, the photographers skills and talent will have a far greater effect on the "look" of the print
Yes I understand that a poor shot is a poor shot and I am not trying to make something bad look good by using the high resolution. There is a local private hospital that want images from people in the area to use in A2 size as part of their redecoration for the hallways and rooms.

I figured if I took some local scenic shots it would make more sense to use high resolution mode and then if I size them to the dimensions of A2 on my laptop, they will have enough detail to be enlarged to full A2 by whoever is going to do the printing and framing?

Some big prints look lovely when seen from a reasonable viewing distance but not when viewed up close so I think viewing distance and expectations are worth thinking about. A2 is pretty big, are people really going to stand so close that they'll be able to see a lack of detail?

This brings me back years to when I produced artwork for stage. At first I produced wonderfully detailed pictures but I quickly realised that the artwork had to look good not from just in front of the end of my nose distance but from audience distance. What would the audience expect to see? That was a wake up call to me and I think it's worth at least considering when talking about photography and photographs.

I think it'll possibly be worth thinking about what subjects and compositions will look good from where people will see them.

Some big prints look lovely when seen from a reasonable viewing distance but not when viewed up close so I think viewing distance and expectations are worth thinking about. A2 is pretty big, are people really going to stand so close that they'll be able to see a lack of detail?

This brings me back years to when I produced artwork for stage. At first I produced wonderfully detailed pictures but I quickly realised that the artwork had to look good not from just in front of the end of my nose distance but from audience distance. What would the audience expect to see? That was a wake up call to me and I think it's worth at least considering when talking about photography and photographs.

I think it'll possibly be worth thinking about what subjects and compositions will look good from where people will see them.
So the A2 prints will be on the wall of peoples rooms at the hospital, so viewing will be across the private rooms and on side walls, so not close. Probably no different to having an A2 print on a medium size second bedroom in an average home. Possibly a few for the hallways too.

I'm out of my depth here, well and truly. Next you'll be saying the 16MP Pana G80 would make the best job :runaway:

Last edited:
I'm out of my depth here, well and truly. Next you'll be saying the 16MP Pana G80 would make the best job :runaway:

No :D but I don't think I'd obsess too much over this as you have a good camera and the ability to produce 80mb files which may well look very nice. I think the main thing to think about could well be what subject, composition and framing will look good and be appreciated by the people in the hospital.

Oh and by the way, well done for doing this. Bringing a little joy to people in hospital is a lovely thing to be involved in. Well done :D

No :D but I don't think I'd obsess too much over this as you have a good camera and the ability to produce 80mb files which may well look very nice. I think the main thing to think about could well be what subject, composition and framing will look good and be appreciated by the people in the hospital.

Oh and by the way, well done for doing this. Bringing a little joy to people in hospital is a lovely thing to be involved in. Well done :D
Thank you
I'm looking at taking local country scenes and maybe some river shots, possibly some old churches and buildings.
One of the criteria is photos of Bedfordshire.

Not G series ( sorry), but after realising how awesome the Intelligent Auto is when travelling with the DC TZ90, I really have to try it more on my G80.

There, I've said it. :D

Just in case people haven't seen this...

My G1 was one of my favourite cameras. It fitted my hand just perfectly. The only issues I had with it were the EVF which I found very uncomfortable in low light and the relatively limited max ISO. I took a lot of pictures with that camera.

G1 and an old film era manual lens, possibly a 50mm. 1/60, ISO 200. Frosty Day. 13/12/2012.

1-_1110064.jpg

Last edited:

My G1 was one of my favourite cameras. It fitted my hand just perfectly. The only issues I had with it were the EVF which I found very uncomfortable in low light and the relatively limited max ISO. I took a lot of pictures with that camera.

G1 and an old film era manual lens, possibly a 50mm. 1/60, ISO 200. Frosty Day. 13/12/2012.

View attachment 433795
Very nice, looks a lot like the path by the river I often walk.

My first M43 camera was an Olympus, the E-P1 with a17mm. It was an interesting bit of kit but I didn't bond with it. The Panasonic G2 was a whole different kettle of fish and I used a pair for several years.

Olympus E-P1 camera Panasonic TZ40 1020034.jpeg

Very nice, looks a lot like the path by the river I often walk.

It's just yards from home and I was there today picking brambles and bramble leaves :D I think its official name is "The Black Path" but some of the original residents, like me, call it "The Lines" as it's actually the path of a long abandoned railway track. I remember when the trains still ran. The council have cut the trees and bushes back and paved it but despite their vandalism I still love it :D

It's just yards from home and I was there today picking brambles and bramble leaves :D I think its official name is "The Black Path" but some of the original residents, like me, call it "The Lines" as it's actually the path of a long abandoned railway track. I remember when the trains still ran. The council have cut the trees and bushes back and paved it but despite their vandalism I still love it :D
Is that the old line which ran alongside Smith's Dock Park, acoss the bridge over Ormesby Road, across Flatts Lane and on to Eston station and also the old brickworks? I remember trains running on it too. I lived on Normanby Road, Ormesby in those days.

Is that the old line which ran alongside Smith's Dock Park, acoss the bridge over Ormesby Road, across Flatts Lane and on to Eston station and also the old brickworks? I remember trains running on it too. I lived on Normanby Road, Ormesby in those days.

Yup.

I'm a bit young to remember the trains and it's possible I never saw them but I remember the sort of tooting sound they made. In those days the local farmer used to walk his cows down the road twice a day. That was nice but a bit frightening for a little one. Happy Days.

Yup.

I'm a bit young to remember the trains and it's possible I never saw them but I remember the sort of tooting sound they made. In those days the local farmer used to walk his cows down the road twice a day. That was nice but a bit frightening for a little one. Happy Days.
The trains I occasionally saw were going to the brickworks, This would be during the late 1950's. Early 60's. Eston station was closed by then but the goods depot was in use until 1966.

Not really G series but same family, so please excuse me.
My TZ90 has thrown a bit of a wobbly.
When using the rotary function on the rear selector wheel it goes a bit haywire and skips about. Clicking the options for functions like MF, drive options etc its fine.
I can use the touch screen for menus and the lens ring for Aperture etc so no biggy.

Any thoughts on price for repair, or do I live with it or treat myself to new?
Is it a common lumix thing?

Last edited:
Out for a walk this evening...

Handheld G9 in iA mode / 100-400mm Leica at full zoom,,,

Road lighting by the River Clyst Evening walk G9 P1014591.jpg

Back