Pedal Power Thread

Back on bike now got mine stolen about 6 weeks ago then had this mad idea to sell my car so I can ride to work and then be able to buy a bike as the insurance was not worth claiming on

Anyway got myself a Scott aspect 50 hard tail now but I don't feel comfy on it yet need to change it to my riding style

I'm now doing around 10 mile round trip to work and doing this at 5 in the morning is killing me

Can't believe the amount of idiots on the road both cycle , pedestrians. And vehicles

Think I'm going to buy a head cam soon

View attachment 17535

Hi all, my commuting bike is due this week. Looking for pannier bags and a rack for commuting and general use. The gear whore in me has been scouring for the best stuff and decided on Ortlieb Waterproof Office Bag QL3 and a Tubus rack.

Then the more sensible head decided it was silly to spend £200 for a rack and commuting bag.

What would you suggest for an alternative rack and bag?

I can laugh at this now, but in another 3-4 months, it's going to be all too much like reality for me...

Have to say, I loved the "Killer Headwind" simulation, and the rider getting "Togged". I'm far more likely to be calling for the Pizza tbh.

Argh! I'm in such a conundrum. I want to change from my MTB to a road bike (I don't do any MTBing anymore) and I of course am thinking of something at the 1k mark (such as a focus cayo or a ribble evo - something with a half-decent groupset and ideally carbon).

But of course my bike is a 1999 model and so 14 1/2 years old (well, the frame and forks are). How much do you think I could get for a specialized rockhopper FS '1999 with upgraded brakes (neon magura racelines), Mavic 521 DH wheels and a groupset of LX/XT mix?
I'd need to sell to fund...

'Tis a whyte Dorset. One of the new 2015 models.

I've just started a new job only 4 miles from home and the employer has a cycle to work scheme so have treated myself!

The helmet was just the one that fitted me best in the shop. Early rise tomorrow!

Broke a rib at rugby training last night. Ride home on my rockhopper was not enjoyable, and I'm out for weeks.

Balls.

I love my toys - got a new shock, DB inline

p4pb11319883.jpg

Jensie having a go for the Hour Record 5:30pm today on Eurosport (sky 410).

should be worth watching, even if he is riding around in circles.

Last edited:
I'm on a 32t 11-34 but with no expander. for the most part I've got no issues on climbs. lewis is on a 30 11-36 and I need to get him a 40t. probably go for the one up with the cage to.

Did 28 miles yesterday, double what I normally do. I think I may be using the lift today at work lol
Nice one...I only managed 20km last night doing the Watership Down trail out of Kingsclere <route map> as we messed up somewhere navigating so cut it short and headed for a pub instead :)

Two of the chaps I ride with have also just moved to 1x10 setup, it will be interesting to see how they get on for our W2 ride next month<route map>

Nice one...I only managed 20km last night doing the Watership Down trail out of Kingsclere <route map> as we messed up somewhere navigating so cut it short and headed for a pub instead :)

Two of the chaps I ride with have also just moved to 1x10 setup, it will be interesting to see how they get on for our W2 ride next month<route map>
cheers :) its normally the elevation that kills me.. did 1,991ft yesterday

this is what i did - http://www.strava.com/activities/198997375

i looked at that watership down route a while ago, whats it like?

Last edited:
i looked at that watership down route a while ago, whats it like?

The bit I did was great :) There is quite the climb at the start and a fair bit on road but well worth it. I cannot comment on the views as it was dark by the time we got onto the ridge

For my sins.

Black ones the commuter, the white carbon ones the weekend bike (not had much use this year unfortunately)

Have a piccie of my Condor in its current guise...

New wheels, Mmm. by menthel, on Flickr

I like those Hoops... I was actually thinking of getting a pair of the H-Plus Son's and lacing up to some Hope disk hubs for the 'crosser as a pair of "sunday best" wheels, seeing as the stock wheel on the CaadX weighs more than the back wheel (complete with cassette) on the Dolan...

I like those Hoops... I was actually thinking of getting a pair of the H-Plus Son's and lacing up to some Hope disk hubs for the 'crosser as a pair of "sunday best" wheels, seeing as the stock wheel on the CaadX weighs more than the back wheel (complete with cassette) on the Dolan...

They are very nice. I have another set of archetypes laced onto miche primato hubs on the commuter that are great too. The hope hubs are an acquired taste with the racket they make mind you! Both are 24/28 and seem to be standing up to my use.

I was thinking of going either 28/32 or 32/32 bearing in mind they have a) me to put up with bouncing around off-road on 'em and b) they've disk brakes to contend with...

The Hope freehub is a pain, I admit, but it might encourage me to pedal a little more. Plus, the freehub in my old Fulcrums wasn't exactly the quietest...

Back