Pedal Power Thread

I'd be happy with a 30! Never mind a 32 I've been finding places lately that a 28 is just not nice.

Today, my legs are glad of the 32's use yesterday!

Glad I went out yesterday as well as it is wet and miserable today :(

Yeah, it's grotty here too. I was lucky enough to ride Sat and Sun so can't complain. :)

Changing from a 28 to 30/32 might not seem much on paper @ 1.2:1 against 1.1:1 but it does make a big difference on the road when things ramp up.

I quite like my cassette with a 32 - cube refer to it as a comfort cassette ha ha.....would never guess why.

Changing from a 28 to 30/32 might not seem much on paper @ 1.2:1 against 1.1:1 but it does make a big difference on the road when things ramp up.

And that's why I've kept my 32 on - I don't think my legs can deal with the hills on a 28 at the moment!

I've got a 12-27 on and that was a shock coming from the MTB! Not sure whether to swap for a 30/32 or just "man up" a bit [emoji1]

I've got a 12-27 on and that was a shock coming from the MTB! Not sure whether to swap for a 30/32 or just "man up" a bit [emoji1]

I think I would persevere with the 12-27 unless you find some hills literally impossible.

I'm sure that 'when' I upgrade I will move to something like 11-28 but I need to get some more miles in my legs first.

On a more basic level, looking at the weather forecast for the rest of the week I think I am going to regret not getting mudguards fitted.

Sigh.... really missing my cycling after a motorcycle accident last year. Smashed my femur which is still healing but have a titanium plate in my leg now to match my new frame which ironically arrived the day of my accident.
20150903_105907_zpsieajgskc.jpg

[/URL][/IMG] It's a Sabbath silk road frame and I have a pair of hope/mavic wheels and 11 spd 105 groupset to fit to it.
A bit of an incentive to work towards!
I fancied a titanium frame after hiring one in Majorca a couple of times.

Sorry to hear about your accident hope you're healing well

Can I ask What's it like to ride a titanium frame, always wanted one after I saw a van Nichols one.

Thanks Gsrai. I'm getting there slowly.

The bike I hired was a Van Nicholas Euros. I headed up into the mountains and it climbed and descended well, and I thought the ride was comfy on the majorcan roads which can be a bit rough at times.
Obviously hit potholes and you'll still rattle your teeth!
In all honesty I couldn't say I noticed a huge difference in the ride quality from my bike at home which was aluminium with carbon seat stays and forks; maybe if I'd tried them side by side?
I decided on the Sabbath as I wanted a frame that would take mudguards and had a replaceable rear derailleur mount.

Thanks Gsrai. I'm getting there slowly.

The bike I hired was a Van Nicholas Euros. I headed up into the mountains and it climbed and descended well, and I thought the ride was comfy on the majorcan roads which can be a bit rough at times.
Obviously hit potholes and you'll still rattle your teeth!
In all honesty I couldn't say I noticed a huge difference in the ride quality from my bike at home which was aluminium with carbon seat stays and forks; maybe if I'd tried them side by side?
I decided on the Sabbath as I wanted a frame that would take mudguards and had a replaceable rear derailleur mount.
Thanks for the view, I've recently bought a Boardman hybrid pro and not had the chance to ride it but there's always the emperors new clothes syndrome LOL

Just joined the Strava group , hope you don't mind. Just a hybrid rider who does the occasional commute ( 11 miles each way ) and weekend ride if the winds not too bad.

Everyone's welcome. Good to have you on board (y)

Managed 55km today out to Box Hill and back, starting to feel physically a little better. I had forgotten how lovely it is to get out there for a couple of hours and how much it clears your head!

Good work Jim and it becomes a virtuous circle doesn't it?

I'm finding it a bit addictive TBH. I couldn't get out last weekend but made up for it on Friday and felt much better for it too (y)

Guys.......... I can only apologise to you all now for the coming weather. I recently bought a Castelli Gabba 2 jersey to keep the autumn chill out, so obviously the law of sod will kick in any time now and it'll be downpours of a biblical scale until such a time that it's too warm to wear a thermal top.

Better get your waterproofs out, you're sure to need them.

Is it just me that is cycling up north at 6am in a pair of Lycra shorts and a long sleeve top :p
In all seriousness I will be changing my attire soon - probably at the same time as putting the heating back on :LOL:

Git my first road bike this year and was really getting into it early spring.

Then I started getting pains in my arm and pins and needles throughout the day.

I'm in tomorrow for my pre op nerve test before having nerve decompression in a few weeks.

Can't wait for next spring to try all over again.

Is it just me that is cycling up north at 6am in a pair of Lycra shorts and a long sleeve top :p
In all seriousness I will be changing my attire soon - probably at the same time as putting the heating back on :LOL:

Hang on Stuart...you're in long sleeve already. I didn't realise there was already ice and snow up your way ;)

PS I bought some arm warmers and leg warmers ready for the chill setting in :(

Git my first road bike this year and was really getting into it early spring.

Then I started getting pains in my arm and pins and needles throughout the day.

I'm in tomorrow for my pre op nerve test before having nerve decompression in a few weeks.

Can't wait for next spring to try all over again.

Hope that's not serious/big a procedure Dan? Is it lumbar you're having. Regardless. Good luck for the pre op and beyond. (y)

Hope that's not serious/big a procedure Dan? Is it lumbar you're having. Regardless. Good luck for the pre op and beyond. (y)

Not as drastic as that thankfully.

It's ulnar nerve compression in my elbow (funny bone nerve) fairly simple procedure I'm led to believe, should be out the same day.

Just don't google the images like I did.

Since June I've not been able to ride the bike or play golf which is gutting.

Op will allow nerve to heal at around 1mm a day, so hopefully pain free by Xmas

Nope, I was out yesterday morning in shorts and a club jersey in thick fog! Luckily it lifted and it turned into a gorgeously warm 19 degree day. Ideal temps for 6000 ft of climbing.

Not as drastic as that thankfully.

It's ulnar nerve compression in my elbow (funny bone nerve) fairly simple procedure I'm led to believe, should be out the same day.

Just don't google the images like I did.

Since June I've not been able to ride the bike or play golf which is gutting.

Op will allow nerve to heal at around 1mm a day, so hopefully pain free by Xmas

Well, good luck and here's to a speedy recovery :)

This weekend I have officially embraced the metric system if only because it means I've cycled my first "50". I shall be going back to miles but it felt good to have achieved something of a milestone (kilometre-stone??) [emoji1]

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1443387360.513380.jpg

Yay! A metric half-century.

It's amazing when you look back at how your mileage / stamina / speed increases isn't it? I remember some parts of my ride where I used to feel as though I could quite easily get off and walk. Now I get to the top and give myself a virtual pat on the back. I hope you've done the same ?(y)

The running order now is:-

1) Imperial half century
2) metric century
3) imperial century

:D

Yay! A metric half-century.

It's amazing when you look back at how your mileage / stamina / speed increases isn't it? I remember some parts of my ride where I used to feel as though I could quite easily get off and walk. Now I get to the top and give myself a virtual pat on the back. I hope you've done the same ?(y)

The running order now is:-

1) Imperial half century
2) metric century
3) imperial century

:D

50k, 50 miles, 100km, 100 miles and 200km done so far. 300km, 200 miles, 400km, 600km and LEL (London Edinburgh London) on my to do list!

Last Friday before I went out I noticed my rear tyre was soft - damn!! Puncture I thought so I removed the wheel and the inner tube. I checked it - no puncture?! I put it back in and inflated it and after a bit of swearing, managed to get the Schwalbe tyre back on the rim. I cycled over 30 miles with no issues (I'd taken two spares and my emergency patches with me as usual so apart from any inconvenience I was confident if got it covered)

Wiped the bike down and hung it up. Checked the bike yesterday ahead of today's ride and again, loss of pressure. This time I swapped the inner tube out and I inflated the existing one and left it hanging in the garage. It's still inflated. Could it be the valve wasn't closed properly I wonder? It's got me scratching me head for sure.

Anyway, whilst the wheel was off, I decided to give the cassette a deep clean/degrease. Came up all sparkly! I then noticed it is a 12-30 not a 12-32 as I thought so perhaps even in the easiest gear I was doing (slightly) better than I thought :)

50k, 50 miles, 100km, 100 miles and 200km done so far. 300km, 200 miles, 400km, 600km and LEL (London Edinburgh London) on my to do list!

Easy Tiger!! You'll be making me look even worse. I've only done the first one so far!

Nice one Jim - what's the spec on it? Certainly looks the part (y)

Nice one Jim - what's the spec on it? Certainly looks the part (y)
105 with trp HyRd brakes, aksium disc wheels and challenge strada bianca tyres. The stem and handlebars are deda, the seat post is condor carbon (it's actually a relabelled tifosi) and the rack is a tubus vega. It's all sorts of awesome!

Back