Pedal Power Thread

resting heart rate (as in, whilst still lying in bed on a morning, after waking "normally" (i.e. not with an alarm clock or similar "start") is usually between 34 and 37... anything over 40, and I take a day off riding as I'm not fully recovered from the last ride, or I'm coming down with some lurgy or other...

Better than mine. My resting is 54-55.

I'm about 60-61 which isn't bad considering I smoked for a loooooong time. It's about 10 less than it was a year ago.

In better news I got a nice new pair of bontrager Race light weels for the bike along with an 11-32 cassette. Just a pity there's snow lying now :(

I'm considering a 32 myself :D

My bike came with Bonty Race Lites, decent wheels and they can be made tubeless too :D

Sorry, I'm a muppet, it was a 12-30 I put on. I got a good deal from the LBS on the wheels so stuck on a 26mm pair of these to go with them, get a good review and should improve the comfort

I'm considering a 32 myself :D

My bike came with Bonty Race Lites, decent wheels and they can be made tubeless too :D

If you are I've got an 11 speed ultegra 11-32 here, brand new never used. I thought my bike was 11 speed, not the 10 that it actually is (that's why I got the earlier post wrong :( ). I could have sworn the LBS said it was 11 when I bought it though, I just never thought to check :D

Last edited:
I put my ice tyres on last night, and just in time as this morning was very cold. :coldfeet:
24391768735_0fdd9299b9_z.jpg

Well - yesterday's ride on Zwift was "interesting"...

I'd been doing some work on the laptop, and had altered the system date from auto-update to manual, and had back-dated the machine a few days (trying to replicate a problem one of my customers had with a machine that had a bust RTM clock)...

Anyhooo... I logged onto Zwift, expecting to see the Richmond course, only to find I was in Watopia... all on my lonesome. Miles and Miles of course, whales, aquariums, gravel, marinas and mountains - and not so much as a Smurf on a Bike to share it with. Perfect for a structured training session where you don't want to be distracted by anyone passing you or half wheeling you and encouraging you to over-cook it on the recovery sessions...

So - i did a little experiment, to make sure that the Strava .FIT file still came out with the correct date/time. Nope - it's dates not taken from the server, it's from the Client PC Clock. Repeat login, get the "holding screen" (the Watopia bridge) bit - and at that point changed my system clock to automatic again. Short test ride - still in empty watopia... saved correctly on Strava. Result. So I backed out again, clocked the laptop back again, logged in, at holding screen went back to automatic time setting, and did my workout. Save for Zwift crashing half way through the workout because my Antivirus decided to update itself and hogged the WiFi, it worked pretty much seamlessly. And, I had the strange experience of actually getting the Green Sprint Jersey, the Orange Lap Jersey and the KoM... Probably because I was the only person on the map that was actually riding a full lap - there was one guy who appeared to be doing something like 3 minute hill repeats on the steep climb - but as he never crossed the finish line he never registered as a KoM...

felt weird to be in the Jerseys though...

Me... In Green... Doesn't seem right somehow...
2016-01-14_1202178.jpg

Green... AND the Lap record... Naaahhh, can't be...

2016-01-14_11540511.jpg

Triple Combined... Now, that's just silly...
2016-01-14_1120130.jpg

Did my first ride on Zwift this afternoon, thanks for the tips guys, setup was pretty painless [emoji106]

It's a really good bit of software, I was surprised how much of the boredom it relieved and how much it made me push myself.

Did my first ride on Zwift this afternoon, thanks for the tips guys, setup was pretty painless [emoji106]

It's a really good bit of software, I was surprised how much of the boredom it relieved and how much it made me push myself.

It's pretty good isn't it Gregg. Not quite bug free yet but certainly keeps away the boredom

I did a chain gang ride with a few guys off another forum last night and really enjoyed it and pushed myself harder than if I'd just been staring at a wall!!

I'm sitting here jealous as hell :D My TT is in the shed, with no internet connection. unless the wife's away and I can get the bike inside I can't even use zwift :grumpy:

I'm sitting here jealous as hell :D My TT is in the shed, with no internet connection. unless the wife's away and I can get the bike inside I can't even use zwift :grumpy:

Can't you get a Wifi booster on your network?

Mine is set up in the garage and today I have mostly been creating a plinth to mount my TV bracket on (the TV is currently on the window bottom and is too high). New plinth lowers it by about 30cm to eye level:). Bracket arriving Monday and will hopefully be a 10 minute job to fit on Monday (y)

I think looking at the forecast here for the weekend it might be Zwift rides again for me. Already sub zero here which is nice if we get the blue sky's but the roads around here that I cycle on never see a gritter:(

Yep. It's bloody clever isn't it. On Zwift the drafting works with it really well [emoji3]

Can't you get a Wifi booster on your network?

Mine is set up in the garage and today I have mostly been creating a plinth to mount my TV bracket on (the TV is currently on the window bottom and is too high). New plinth lowers it by about 30cm to eye level:). Bracket arriving Monday and will hopefully be a 10 minute job to fit on Monday (y)
We're looking at fairly long distances with a crap connection to begin with. I've set things up with the tacx maps on my ipad for the moment :)

If you've got power then you can use wifi over the power line?
right about now I begin to feel embarassed. I didn't even think about that, good shout, I'll look into it :oops: :$

right about now I begin to feel embarassed. I didn't even think about that, good shout, I'll look into it :oops: :$

George, how far are we talking?

You can buy external CAT5/6 cable (the difference is that the cable outer is more rubberised and will withstand lower temperatures.)

I have this from my master socket / router that then goes outside and up into the loft and then down into the study where my network is.

George, how far are we talking?

It's about 100m from the router. The best d/l we get at the moment is about 2 MB/s, but it's variable. I quite like the idea of the mains system, it might just work :)

yeah, but the bikes got around 10kg of excess metal and suspension on it, plus tractor tyres front and rear - you NEED something to winch it up hills...

32t oval front lol just suspension at the front now as I've changed frame. 10kg is a bit of an exageration given the bike only weighs 28lb

Last edited:
fair enough - call it 5kg - I was actually thinking of the weight of my old 456 which was built maybe 5 years ago, to cope with the 180kg or so I weighed back then ;) - though actually I don't know how much it actually weighs, my "hanging scale" only runs to 20kg iirc, and I know it definitely was more than that.

(I'm more used to the road bike now, which weighs in at just a touch under 7.5kg complete with pedals, bottle cages, power meter and all the Garmin bits... I can get a good workout just rolling the Inbred around in the bike-cave to get to one of the proper bikes)

Last edited:
this wasn't part of the plan today :( It's sheared right off, totally knackered.

IMG_0487.JPG

oh crap - has the frame got a replaceable hanger, or has it mullered the frame as well...

(they actually make the hangers out of "monkey metal" - as a sacrificial part - so that it DOESN'T screw up the frame... but it does mean that pretty much the slightest malfunction and you're waiting for a replacement...)

oh crap - has the frame got a replaceable hanger, or has it mullered the frame as well...

(they actually make the hangers out of "monkey metal" - as a sacrificial part - so that it DOESN'T screw up the frame... but it does mean that pretty much the slightest malfunction and you're waiting for a replacement...)
I think the frames okay, I'll take it in tomorrow and leave it with the LBS.

This all came about because when we were coasting to a standstill at the point where some of us went our seperate ways a woman decided not to bother braking and came right into the side of me. Gad knows what she was doing, she'd been okay till then. I hadn't unclipped and ended up falling on my right hand side. Shortly after we got going again the chain came off. It did it again and this time, when I went to change the whole thing just fell to bits. I'm guessing the fall did some damage and this is the result :(

So my wife got a Silhoutte Cameo cutting machine for Xmas and she has finally let me have shot of it.
Decided to grab myself some red vinyl and and personalise the Cube. Came up with the slogan "THE FLYING SCOTSMAN" which I think has come out really well and not something you will see much if at all on other bikes.2016_0124_17443700 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr
Looks good :)

ah, that's okay then - looking more closely, I think I can see the bolt heads where the hanger attaches in your first pic. Should be fine - hangers appear pretty widely available - get the LBS to order 2 or 3 if they have to send off for them, keep the others in stock, as they certainly appear to be delicate. That way, if it happens again, you can just get the allen keys out and fix it at the roadside (if you remember to leave a hanger in your saddlebag of course)

It's a lot better way of working than the old-school option on Steel frames - I broke 2 dropouts in the same way, and basically both of them ended up at a framebuilder, and had to have the entire dropout de-brazed, removed, a new one fitted, then the rear chain and seatstay re-stoved. Cost me a bloody fortune in both cases, as they were both 753 Bob Jacksons with "flamboyant red" (it was half way between metallic and candy apple) finish...

Looks nasty Dod, hopefully it can be fixed cheaper than it looks :)

We had a disastrous group ride today too, A bike from the group was nicked at a coffee stop :bang: and a m8 hit a pot hole hard with his rear wheel instantly blowing the tube and putting a couple of holes in the tyre.
The replacement tube lasted all of 50 yds and the valve exploded giving him the joy of another flat. :(

My first ride with a power meter too today, more numbers to stare blankly at :D

Looks nasty Dod, hopefully it can be fixed cheaper than it looks :)

We had a disastrous group ride today too, A bike from the group was nicked at a coffee stop :banghead: and a m8 hit a pot hole hard with his rear wheel instantly blowing the tube and putting a couple of holes in the tyre.
The replacement tube lasted all of 50 yds and the valve exploded giving him the joy of another flat. :(

Not good :(

It's the back wheel I'm most annoyed about, first time out and it's been knocked off true by the dozy mare :mad:

This all came about because when we were coasting to a standstill at the point where some of us went our seperate ways a woman decided not to bother braking and came right into the side of me. Gad knows what she was doing, she'd been okay till then. I hadn't unclipped and ended up falling on my right hand side. Shortly after we got going again the chain came off. It did it again and this time, when I went to change the whole thing just fell to bits. I'm guessing the fall did some damage and this is the result :(

I'm guessing the collision probably stressed the hanger and then the stress of the chain/gears once moving meant it couldn't take the strain. Hope you get it sorted quickly and cheaply (y)

We had a disastrous group ride today too, A bike from the group was nicked at a coffee stop :banghead:

That's horrible. Hope the police manage to find out something and trace the bike. The trouble with some cafes is that the scrotes get wind that they are used by cyclists and think they can have easy pickings and take something that's not theirs :mad::mad:

On a brighter note, that'll keep you quiet for a few weeks!

This morning was my first commute (8miles - but I'm not Eminem) on a road bike! The different riding position felt a bit odd to start with and I had to stop and jack my saddle up a couple of times. But all in all it was great!
It's a Planet X London Road with SRAM Rival 11 - seems well made, nice and light compared to my hybrid, and very smooth gear shifting.
24518992331_079abc1825.jpg

This morning was my first commute (8miles - but I'm not Eminem) on a road bike! The different riding position felt a bit odd to start with and I had to stop and jack my saddle up a couple of times. But all in all it was great!
It's a Planet X London Road with SRAM Rival 11 - seems well made, nice and light compared to my hybrid, and very smooth gear shifting.

The Planet X bikes do get a good write up and great value for money - nice bike and great for commuting.

Back