Pic(s) you took today - an open thread

Interesting what they say about good composition, my eye was drawn straight to the centre and the girl crossing towards you. I don't know if she was your intentional subject but it feels that way.

Thanks Keith, I have to be honest no one was my particular target I was just hanging about until the crossing looked fairly evenly populated and then snapped.

I took a family who'd never been to the seaside to Saltburn today. The weather was poor but they enjoyed it and one of the kids said it was "the best day ever." We'll have to arrange another trip in better conditions.

There was a film crew and the theme was "Surfers against sewage"

1-P1380843.jpg

Surf boards for hire.

1-P1380854.jpg

Limited visibility.

P1380853.jpg

Keeping the flag flying.

1-P1380872.jpg

Lovely flowers.

1-P1380867.jpg

Actually these pictures make the conditions look better than they were :D It really was miserable weather.

Last edited:

Andrew, I didn't realise that you wanted Critique until I saw your comment on another thread, as it's not usual on here anymore - the way to improve flower images is to ensure the light is good, a flash with a diffuser really helps, use a tripod, manual focus with a dedicated "macro" lens and IF you want a sharp image along the depth of field eventually start to stack images - use a high fstop, say f16 as that you will get more in focus than with the wider fstops - but at this fstop you will be struggling for light, hence the flash and diffuser - a high shutter speed also helps - maybe work up to the full rig gradually

MF macro lens are not expensive - I use a 55mm f3.5 old Nikkor which must be 50 years old with a home made flash diffuser and you can buy a big cheap tripod as the heavier the better for such shots

Flower and insect photography is addictive and time consuming

Good luck

I've taken a lot in the past and here are a couple - plus there are a lot of experts around with marvellous images which take time to achieve

TP_yellow_flower.jpg

TP_yellow_flower_3.jpg

Last edited:
I took a family who'd never been to the seaside to Saltburn today. The weather was poor but they enjoyed it and one of the kids said it was "the best day ever." We'll have to arrange another trip in better conditions.

There was a film crew and the theme was "Surfers against sewage"

View attachment 423276

Surf boards for hire.

View attachment 423278

Limited visibility.

View attachment 423277

Keeping the flag flying.

View attachment 423280

Lovely flowers.

View attachment 423281

Actually these pictures make the conditions look better than they were :D It really was miserable weather.

nice shots, particularly like "Limited Visability"

They have been refurbishing the local recreation park for several months now, The footpath is getting it's final rubberized coat, and to ensure a proper job, it's being done by hand.` He's only about another mile to go.

PXL_20240520_123138619.jpg

And one from my walk along the canal, both images taken on my phone.

PXL_20240520_122734302~2.jpg

First try at stacking, using a free online program. first image is the first of the 10 images I took, the second image is the 10 shots stacked, hope you can tell the difference lol. It is a small Cactus, the only thing I could find around the house, need to buy the wife some more flowers lol, gets me some brownie points and gives me something to shoot ;).
Thanks Andy

P1060199.jpg
focusstackingonline.com.jpg

Hi, shopping in the morning.

DM's :

P5233687.jpg

ALDI's :

P5233690.jpg

Home again with Basima :

P5233704-c.jpg

In the neighbourhood :

P5233691.jpg

Beautiful, but bringing rain :

P5233709-c.jpg

Just delivered: reading for rainy days (recommended on BBC 4 "A good read". I liked the novels by Hilary Mantel, too ... ) :

P5233716-c.jpg

A few critters from this morning's safari in the garden....

Bee 2.jpg

Bee 1.jpg

Bees & Butterfly.jpg

Scarce Swallowtail 1.jpg

And yesterday's speculative 80 yard, heavily cropped attempt with an APS-C 200mm lens....

Golden Orioles 3.jpg

Back