Plus Ca change

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
Before mobiles, people still walk around with their heads down and brains engaged elsewhere.

Plus Ca Change by Kell, on Flickr

I was trying out a 'shoot from the hip' technique using zonal focusing. After watching a YT video.

Didn't get much success from about 30 shots, but this one had something about it.

View: https://youtu.be/80o90Q2FaUo?si=j4I95WYRY6a9x7Ia

It can be very hit-and-miss if your focal range is too narrow. For street, it's probably better to go somewhere in the f/8 to f/16 range and up your ISO if necessary. For a moving subject like this, spray-and-pray can at least allow you to keep the sharpest shot. This one is acceptably sharp, IMO, and the 'Dutch tilt' effect is in the direction in which the guy is walking. It looks like it won't take you long to get more effective with these techniques.

Quite like the high contrast look to this and it works well imo

I found it pretty difficult to find someone who wasn't on their phone!

It can be very hit-and-miss if your focal range is too narrow. For street, it's probably better to go somewhere in the f/8 to f/16 range and up your ISO if necessary. For a moving subject like this, spray-and-pray can at least allow you to keep the sharpest shot. This one is acceptably sharp, IMO, and the 'Dutch tilt' effect is in the direction in which the guy is walking. It looks like it won't take you long to get more effective with these techniques.

I think I was using f8 at this point and just left ISO on auto. The MKI A7 doesn't have a hugely quick FPS rate, so I think I took three of this guy, this one being the most acceptable focus-wise. The paper looks pretty sharp, while his face is a little soft. Suggesting he was just coming into focus range (or that the range is still too narrow).

Off hand, I think this was with the 45mm f2. It's much harder to keep track of what you've done, when you don't get all the lens info back from LR.

Quite like the high contrast look to this and it works well imo

I found it pretty difficult to find someone who wasn't on their phone!

Thanks.

I think maybe that's why I liked it- kind of unusual.

Last edited:
Back