Rant, rant, rant.. it really gets my goat...

We're not talking about writing. We're talking about photography.

Good publishers employ picture editors who select pictures.

"The Guardian’s picture editors bring you a selection of photo highlights from around the world..." https://www.theguardian.com/news/ga...hotos-of-the-day-ballooons-and-open-air-films They didn't do any of the processing. ;)
Picture editors might only select, but that does not preclude a pictorial copy editor improving the standard.

If I edit my pictures before printing them (which I do), I am performing the same role as a copy editor does with writing - I am improving them and not selecting them.

Other photographers asking for advice or location details then not bothering to say thanks when help given. It winds me up further seeing their images online and they make out they found the location themselves!

The CEO of Talk Talk used to be Dido Harding, when emailing her to complain about the service, I must admit to reading through a few times, "just in case" :D

I checked to MAKE SURE the `l` was there! :D

Not read through all 17 pages of comments, but I believe people make such comments just to try engage hoping you'll reciprocate.

When someone looks at your picture and says "wow! you must have a really good camera". Thats like saying to Rembrandt "wow! you must have a really good paintbrush"

When the majority of people on a forum spell "focusing" and "sharp" incorrectly! ( I always see "focussing" and "sharpe")
The one that gets my goat is color for colour!

Certain members blowing smoke up other members butts just to be in "the gang" you know who they are[emoji12]

There's a lot of that on Twitter too. Mostly from less-recognised photographers trying to get well-known photographers to follow them, makes for some cringeworthy reading

Not photography related at all but.....

People without kids parking in parent and toddler spaces. Ya selfish ********

When some asks what camera you use. Mine being either my phone purely for convenience or my mid range bridge camera you always get the "You could get a better picture with camera XYZ". I know I'd get a better picture with a better camera, I'd probably also get a better picture if I fully understood all the manual settings since I've seen some amazing photos with the camera I use. It says amateur photographer on my profile for a reason... I'm learning and don't have thousands to spend on a set up. Rant over :) where's this goat of whom you speak?

The one that gets my goat is color for colour!

I wondered about the earliest dictionary's spelling - Samuel Johnson's original dictionary has it listed as Colour but gives its derivation as from the Latin Color. Exactly when it gained the U will probably remain a mystery!

My favourite is "Come on England" rather than "Come on, England" but that often falls on stony ground (à la Onan...)

I wondered about the earliest dictionary's spelling - Samuel Johnson's original dictionary has it listed as Colour but gives its derivation as from the Latin Color. Exactly when it gained the U will probably remain a mystery!

My favourite is "Come on England" rather than "Come on, England" but that often falls on stony ground (à la Onan...)
The U was gained from french.

Other drivers, other pedestrians, people who lack spatial awareness - more generally, just people. It's called misanthropy.

Last edited:
Izn't that a long word you are uzing their?
Its from the Bible "Hate your neighbour" :D

When people mention goats in a post and there's no goats :(
You've seen the picture now read the joke (y)

A visiting professor at Harvard University is giving a seminar on the supernatural. To get a feel for his audience, he asks: "How many people here believe in ghosts?" About 90 students raise their hands.

"Well that’s a good start. Out of those of you who believe in ghosts, do any of you think you’ve ever seen a ghost?" About 40 students raise their hands.

"That’s really good. I’m really glad you take this seriously. Has anyone here ever talked to a ghost? 15 students raise their hands. "That’s a great response. Has anyone here ever touched a ghost?"

Three students raise their hands. "That’s fantastic. But let me ask you one question further.....Have any of you ever made love to a ghost?" One Arab / red neck / Welsh * student in the back raises his hand. The professor is astonished. He takes off his glasses, takes a step back, and says, "Son, all the years I've been giving this lecture, no one has ever claimed to have slept with a ghost. you've got to come up here and tell us about your experience."
The student replies with a nod and a grin, and begins to make his way up to the podium.
The professor says, "Well, tell us what it’s like to have sex with a ghost." The student replies,
"Ghost? Damn..... From back there I thought you said ’goats’!"

* insert as required

Last edited:
...when someone comments on one of my pics with a comment along the lines of 'stunning capture'.

It's not a capture, it's a photograph. I put a lot of effort into creating it.

Yes, I know I should take a chill pill and just accept the praise in the way it was intended.
What tugs your (virtual) beard?
I see this as more of a compliment that photograph. mainly because it suggests that you have, as you say, put a lot of effort in capturing the mood, time, place, composition and potential thought about what post you are going to apply pre shutter release.

I think it would go

snap (prob the most offending description for a decent photographer)
shot
photograph
capture

What tugs your (virtual) beard?

When someone posts a photo on social media and photo sites then friends associates and others coo over it with twee comments like "amazing" and "stunning" ego massaging when in reality its a lucky snap.

Last edited:
I see this as more of a compliment that photograph. mainly because it suggests that you have, as you say, put a lot of effort in capturing the mood, time, place, composition
With a portrait it's always satisfying to be told that you've 'captured' the true essence/character of the subject.

When someone posts a photo on social media and photo sites then friends associates and others coo over it with twee comments like "amazing" and "stunning" ego massaging when in reality its a lucky snap.

It's better to be lucky than good. :D

Back