Beginner Recommend a 35mm camera/system...

I use Jacks Lab here in Bristol but there is a thread somewhere about film developing places.

I'm currently on Portra 400, but there's Ultramax(?) Gold, and the other Portra for colour I guess.

Whatever you do, take the first few shots as normal in bright daylight or whatever, and then tape around the back of the film compartment. At least if you have light leaks and need seals, you won't have wasted the whole film.

I use Jacks Lab here in Bristol but there is a thread somewhere about film developing places.
Yeah I've read the thread but can't bloody find it now!

Whatever you do, take the first few shots as normal in bright daylight or whatever, and then tape around the back of the film compartment. At least if you have light leaks and need seals, you won't have wasted the whole film.
I think it does need new seals; I'm going to buy a set off eBay and give it a go. Apparently its quite easy

I bought a Pentax MX last week. I fell in love with the viewfinder, it’s the biggest one I’ve ever seen, such a joy to use.
I bought these light seals: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254467737305
By the way I’m not promoting the seller or anything just thought the pack is really good and probably good enough to make a few light seal replacements.
Let me know if you need any help.

I bought a Pentax MX last week. I fell in love with the viewfinder, it’s the biggest one I’ve ever seen, such a joy to use.
I bought these light seals: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254467737305
By the way I’m not promoting the seller or anything just thought the pack is really good and probably good enough to make a few light seal replacements.
Let me know if you need any help.
I assume you replaced them yourself; was it easy enough?

I’ve replaced Nikon slrs in the past and it’s the same. I’ve also developed the negatives today so I’ll confirm if there’s any light leaks. I’ll send you a picture later of the seals

was it easy enough?
i wouldn’t say it’s easy or hard. It just takes patience…
If you haven’t done it before, take your time. And make sure you don’t get any of the old foam in the curtain. I put some tape behind the curtain to avoid getting anything in there. For the bumper mirror i find it hard to keep stuff out of the camera, but i make sure to get everything out of it before installing new light seals. The best tool is a blower toothpick and rubbing alcohol

Last edited:
I have (finally) purchased a Pentax MX with 50 and 28mm lenses. From eBay (don't judge me) but the price was good, the condition looks great and the feedback was good.

Who's good for film processing; and any reccs on colour/B&W film? Only processor close to me is Max Spielman which I'm going to assume is out right away...
Run a roll of Ilford FP4 or HP5 through it first - if there are any light leaks it will show up on that film that may not necessarily show up in something like Kodak ColorPlus. Film choice all depends on what you want to shoot and what conditions.

Velvia50 is my film of choice in 35mm for colour... because I love slides. Portra is usually considered the best colour film. FP4 my go to B&W.

Prefer to send Ilford film to Harman Labs. And send my slide film to Ag Photolab

If you're lucky enough to have a local processor then give them a try.... never tried Max Spielman.

I’ve hatched the areas in yellow.
hope it helps

Attachments

• IMG_4551.jpeg
    IMG_4551.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4548.jpeg
    IMG_4548.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4547.jpeg
    IMG_4547.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4546.jpeg
    IMG_4546.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4545.jpeg
    IMG_4545.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 11
I have (finally) purchased a Pentax MX with 50 and 28mm lenses. From eBay (don't judge me) but the price was good, the condition looks great and the feedback was good.

Who's good for film processing; and any reccs on colour/B&W film? Only processor close to me is Max Spielman which I'm going to assume is out right away...

I've been using FilmDev after a recommendation on this site.

Looked at others (just to see prices etc) but I've been perfectly happy with development and scans. Can't see a reason to switch - especially as they also seem to be the cheapest by a long way.

I was also recommended Ilford XP2 for B&W as it is cheaper to process as it can be processed as colour film. My only hesitation to totally recommend at the minute is that on very sunny days, I had to step down the aperture quite a lot as my camera's fastest shutter speed is 1000 and it was indicating that it would be massively over-exposed even at f/5.6. Think I ended up shooting at f/11-f/16 when I went out a while back.

Last edited:
I've been using FilmDev after a recommendation on this site.

Looked at others (just to see) but I've been perfectly happy with development and scans. Can't see a reason to switch - especially as they also seem to be the cheapest by a long way.

I was also recommended Ilford XP2 for B&W as it is cheaper to process as it can be processed as colour film. My only hesitation to totally recommend at the minute is that on very sunny days, I had to step down the aperture quite a lot as my camera's fastest shutter speed is 1000 and it was indicating that it would be massively over-exposed even at f/5.6. Think I ended up shooting at f/11-f/16 when I went out a while back.

You can shoot XP2 at a wide range of speeds and still develop normally. It has a very wide latitude:

Stated on the Ilford page:
XP2 SUPER is also special in that you can shoot at different speeds from ISO 50 to 800 on the same roll of film and process as standard C41.

You can shoot XP2 at a wide range of speeds and still develop normally. It has a very wide latitude:

Stated on the Ilford page:

I have since read that, but I'm fairly new to film thing after a long absence, so was (am) shooting at box speeds.

For example, I have read about pushing speeds, but didn't realise it was ever possible all on one roll. I figured that if you wanted to shoot it at, say, 100ASA, you'd have to commit the whole roll to that.

Last edited:
Yeah I've read the thread but can't bloody find it now!

I think it does need new seals; I'm going to buy a set off eBay and give it a go. Apparently its quite easy

I replaced the seals on the Ricoh FF-3 I inherited from my Father-in-law.

Followed a YouTube video. It was all easy enough, it just needs patience.

My only advice would be to take a pic of where they all are before you start. I think I might have ended up adding an extra one somewhere. :p

Incredibly helpful; thank you. As it looks like these pics are post-replacement I can use them to assess how worn the light seals are on mine. Expecting delivery this week.
Happy to help! I can also confirm no light leaks so definitely put the foam in the right place. Hope you enjoy yours!

It's arrived! What a thing. Absolutely lovely. They don't make stuff like this anymore! Its pretty heavy though haha.

The light seals are basically crumbling apart so I'm going to replace them straight off before I put a film in it. Also I need to buy film :D

Last edited:
Congratulations on testing a working camera.... so many things can be wrong.
Now and then I recall the anticipation of the arrival of my pictures, followed by some level of disappointment (never learned).
These days, there are enough good images to make it worthwhile, maybe the number of good images is increasing..YAY!

Back