Replacement for iPhone 5

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
i fancy a change and dont really want to pay an upfront charge for an iphone 6.
Been thinking about a move away from the iPhone and have been looking around.
My son has the Htc M8 which he loves, and I've also had a look at the sony Z3.
Any thoughts?
I don't use iTunes if I can help it. I do take a lot of photos with my phone, which is why I was considering the Z3.
I like the idea of being able to upgrade the memory without buying a more expensive phone, which I can do with the Z3 and the M8.

I like my Nokia/Windows Lumia and IIRC there's one with a very good (for a mobile phone) camera. However, compared to Android and the frootyfones, the number of available apps is rather low (but rising), although most serious needs are catered for. It's for this reason that I'm considering moving to an Android phone so I can use it as a remote control/viewer for a couple of my cameras.

I've just moved from an iPhone, like you after quite a few years of being an apple user I fancied a change. I chose a Samsung Galaxy S5 and it seems fine. It has water resistance to IP67, a separate user replaceable battery and a very good amoled display, all of which are important features to me. I won't recommend it over any others because so much is down to personal needs, but it may be worth having a look at one as you narrow your choices down.

Z3 = best phone I've ever used.

Massive though.

Depends what you want really.

I am very pleased with my Sony Z2, excellent camera.
After getting one, I sold my compact camera within a few weeks.

I second the nexus 5 suggestion, its just been discontinued so I've seen it for around £230-240 sim free now.

I second the nexus 5 suggestion, its just been discontinued so I've seen it for around £230-240 sim free now.

Are you sure it has? Google play still lists it is current, but obviously price reduction makes sense due to age and competition...

Daughter has the HTC one and loves it.

Another option is the new LG phone - one of her Uni friends has one and loves it ...

Are you sure it has? Google play still lists it is current, but obviously price reduction makes sense due to age and competition...
Yes, Google just announced a couple of days ago it's been discontinued but will be continued to be sold until the stocks have run out.

A Google spokesperson has revealed that the company has discontinued production of the 2013 Nexus 5.

Speaking to Tech Radar, the company's representative said, "Once they are gone, they're gone, so we'd suggest people get them while they can". The comment from the Google spokesperson indicates the Nexus 5 might soon not be available to buy.
http://m.gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/n...-discontinued-limited-stocks-available-633674

I quite like that latest Microsoft Nokia offering. It is incredible value for money. Super responsive and actually supports standards like carddav and caldav. In English that means you can connect you your existing iCloud or other open source servers for contacts and calendaring if you so wish.

A colleague of mine has got one and I was mighty impressed by it.

What do you like about it?
Have you had an iPhone in the past?
Just curious as to how they compare.
Is the camera as good as they say?

I've used an iPhone before (maybe a mark 2 or mark 3 - can't really remember) then I switched to a Galaxy S3 now to a Sony Z3.

Basically it looks to me like Sony have looked at what people really want rather than just making it bigger/smaller/easier to sell adverts on.

Things I like:
1. Battery life. Sounds stupid but when I'm working in London the S3 battery dies by about 3 pm - which is tough if you're satnaving to a client and want to call them and say you're 5 mins behind. Even on a long tough day in the smoke the Z3 has never gone below 50% and that's without enabling any power saving features.
2. Waterproof. I sometimes take my phone running. It rains, I sweat, S3 has to go in a plastic bag.
3. Very very very fast.
4. Great build quality
5. Lovely screen

Things I don't like:
1. Size. It is quite huge - maybe the Z3 compact is better
2. No hard buttons at the bottom only soft ones
3. No Lollipop yet. TBH I don't know why I want it....

Not sure about the camera yet. Taken a few snaps but I've been too busy to explore it too much (and usually have a camera nearby). Seems quite capable though. Insane number of pixels.

ETA: BTW like most Android phones it plays really nicely with OS X. Logged into my Google account during setup and all my contacts and diaries were there straight away.

Last edited:
I've used an iPhone before (maybe a mark 2 or mark 3 - can't really remember) then I switched to a Galaxy S3 now to a Sony Z3.

Basically it looks to me like Sony have looked at what people really want rather than just making it bigger/smaller/easier to sell adverts on.

Things I like:
1. Battery life. Sounds stupid but when I'm working in London the S3 battery dies by about 3 pm - which is tough if you're satnaving to a client and want to call them and say you're 5 mins behind. Even on a long tough day in the smoke the Z3 has never gone below 50% and that's without enabling any power saving features.
2. Waterproof. I sometimes take my phone running. It rains, I sweat, S3 has to go in a plastic bag.
3. Very very very fast.
4. Great build quality
5. Lovely screen

Things I don't like:
1. Size. It is quite huge - maybe the Z3 compact is better
3. No Lollipop yet. TBH I don't know why I want it....

Not sure about the camera yet. Taken a few snaps but I've been too busy to explore it too much (and usually have a camera nearby). Seems quite capable though. Insane number of pixels.

ETA: BTW like most Android phones it plays really nicely with OS X. Logged into my Google account during setup and all my contacts and diaries were there straight away.
Thanks for that. Sounds promising. Definitely need to see if I can have a play with one.

I quite like that latest Microsoft Nokia offering. It is incredible value for money. Super responsive and actually supports standards like carddav and caldav. In English that means you can connect you your existing iCloud or other open source servers for contacts and calendaring if you so wish.

A colleague of mine has got one and I was mighty impressed by it.

It's just a pity that Microsoft/Nokia haven't been all that bothered in persuading the app developers to launch WP apps. Want a banking app? Probably not on WP. SkyGo? that would be another no, Sky+ app, no, again, YouTube? No, just a browser shortcut.

Computerworld|Aug 22, 2014 1:03 PM PT

Last month, WP Central did an analysis of apps available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone, and the results weren't good for Windows Phone. It used information from App Annie. It found that none of the 13 most popular free games available for iOS were available for Windows Phone.

And of the 12 most popular free apps on iOS, it found, a mere six were available for Windows Phone. Overall, among the apps it found missing were WatchESPN, FIFA Official App, YouTube, Snapchat, and Google Maps.

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...-the-app-gap-still-killing-windows-phone.html

I would have one of the big screen WP phones from Nokia, well built, decent screen, nice browser, good satnav, unfortunately the lack of apps is a big let down.

Nokia has come along a bit since august, but not that much.

Sky Sports and Sky News are current apps, with more on the way from Sky
banking apps - i just use the browser, not as convenient but HSBC scale for mobile very nicely and it is very quick.

that said i really like my nokia 930, big screen, quick, does what i need.

This is what the Android is like these days in it is a good thing. Hardware buttons can start to fail / clog up with dirt after a while.

banking apps - i just use the browser, not as convenient but HSBC scale for mobile very nicely and it is very quick.

None of the mentioned apps in that article are yet available for WP, unfortunately.

With regard to Sky, there are no plans for a SkyGo app whatsoever, that's direct from the executive office and the app developers at Sky. Why they don't rate WP to develop an app? Who knows? But it was one of the main reasons I have avoided WP8.1 (I have had a couple of old WP7 handsets, and still have a Nokia 520 in the house.

It's just not mature enough, apps wise to be a serious contender.

Can't you run Sky Go via the browser? That is what I do on my laptop. Saves paying the extra for extra :)

Can't you run Sky Go via the browser? That is what I do on my laptop. Saves paying the extra for extra :)
Windows mobile wont support silverlight.

Sky said they wouldnt do any apps for windows but have done 2 so far, I expect to see more as the platform is picked up.

Ah of course I forgot that pain of getting their platform to work on my MacBook. Cheers. Make sense.

Back