Roche Abbey

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
A few shots I took at Roche Abbey. The main reason for the visit was to shoot large format, but those all turned out rubbish, so the little Olympus Trip 35 saved the, er, trip. :)

Olympus Trip 35
Fujifilm 200
Lab developed. Home scanned and converted with Negative Lab Pro.

Roche Abbey by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Taking in the ruins by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Remnant by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Entrance house by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Through the arched window by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Entrance to the abbey by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Ah. I had a Trip :D

Well taken Nige and it looks like you had a good day too. Win Win :D

I showed a lady a photo I did of an old homestead years ago and she replyed, "if only it could talk". Well our old building's here are pretty much all wood and in time go away. Your old buildings over there all seem to be make of rock and las several lifetimes. Used to love seeing old buildings while I was stationed in Germany. Any then there were the really old real cobble stone roads. Old thing's ust attract me! Beautiful Abby!

This thread brought back memories. I used to take my dog for a walk at Roche Abbey in the late 1990's. I got to know Les the custodian quite well. He had a lot of stories about ghosts at the Abbey. There was a reconstruction of a monk in the reception. It was a hooded habit draped over a frame made from wood and chicken wire. We took it into the old gatehouse and positioned it in a good place. Then I did a double exposure with an Olympus OM4ti, one with the monk in plsce and one without. The printed result showed a ghostly image. I've been trying to find it on my old files, but haven't been successfull. I did find these though.

Roche Abbey Gatehouse.jpg

The gatehouse

Roche Abbey Gargoyle.jpg

There Is just one gargoyle left. It is well hidden though.

Roche Abbey Grafitti.jpg

In the early 20th century ladies waiting for their men to return from shooting parties used to test the quality of the diamonds in their engagement rings by scratching writing in the glass in the windows.

Back