weekly Shiny's 2021 52 Attempt

I think you did a pretty good job of sorting out the verticals TBH.
Nice recurring patterns and textures.
I also agree it does look rather depressing :(

Definitely on theme. I reckon it would fit irregular too with the broken windows.

What a dismal place to live if you were a family. Perhaps bearable for students and short term stays.

I like the backstory to your doors picture. Fascinating. Are any bees okay about their honey being stolen? Presumably this is why they smoke them to make them sleepy. This is so much more interesting than just a picture of a door like most of us have done.

Goodness that looks a grim place! suits the theme though.
Perspective always tricky with lines, and there are lots here! :LOL:

Close inspection makes me think that no one lives there. I suspect that building is on someone's list to come down, it is certainly an eyesore.------------------
Definitely on theme. I reckon it would fit irregular too with the broken windows.

What a dismal place to live if you were a family. Perhaps bearable for students and short term stays.

I like the backstory to your doors picture. Fascinating. Are any bees okay about their honey being stolen? Presumably this is why they smoke them to make them sleepy. This is so much more interesting than just a picture of a door like most of us have done.

My bees are never ok with anything; they are a feisty bunch. There are ways and means of getting them out of the way though so it's not too much trouble. You have to leave them some honey for the winter and if you think they haven't enough then they have to be fed fondant. This is much cheaper than honey and the bees don't care, it's just energy to them.

Close inspection makes me think that no one lives there. I suspect that building is on someone's list to come down, it is certainly an eyesore.------------------

My bees are never ok with anything; they are a feisty bunch. There are ways and means of getting them out of the way though so it's not too much trouble. You have to leave them some honey for the winter and if you think they haven't enough then they have to be fed fondant. This is much cheaper than honey and the bees don't care, it's just energy to them.
Grumpy bees, mind you I don’t blame them. I’ve been fascinated to watch both bumble bees and wasps nest in my garden. Both had guards at the entrance. Sadly the bees got dug out by the badgers over the course of two evenings. The wasps seem to have gone now too. perhaps they just move on, or maybe the badgers disturbed them too?

I hope it's not occupied - it would be a very miserable place to live. Reminds me of my days living in Coventry which has some equally monstrous concrete blocks! The oddities make the image.

Grumpy bees, mind you I don’t blame them. I’ve been fascinated to watch both bumble bees and wasps nest in my garden. Both had guards at the entrance. Sadly the bees got dug out by the badgers over the course of two evenings. The wasps seem to have gone now too. perhaps they just move on, or maybe the badgers disturbed them too?

Shame they got dug out, can't imagine what the badgers were after as bumble bees don't store honey as they don't over-winter, only the new queens go on to next year but hopefully they have left the nest already so are available for next year's nests. I suppose badgers will eat anything, they certainly eat hedgehogs.

Red

Chillies, home-grown, we have hundreds of them. They are fiendishly difficult to photograph as they are so shiny (like me :) ). Yes, they are quite hot.

Red by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
You've managed the shine really well and lovely composition of such curvy beasts. They look both mouth watering and mouth burning!

Great composition and execution given the challenges you mention. They do look rather spicy! :eek:

Wow lovely chilies! I used one of our home grown ones in a soup last night and it is almost inedible it is so spicy :(

I love the way these are so long and curly, and definitely red and shiny :) Do you dry them and flake them?

Back on the subject of bees and badgers, yes I wasn't sure, but they definitely did dig them out. They had a go on the first night, but there were a few bees still about the next day. I thought about trying to put wire across it. The following night it was decimated. I didn't realise they would have no honey. They were buff tailed bees. I have never seen a hedgehog where I live (which is quite rural), although I used to see them in suburban Liverpool all the time years ago.

Wow lovely chilies! I used one of our home grown ones in a soup last night and it is almost inedible it is so spicy :(

I love the way these are so long and curly, and definitely red and shiny :) Do you dry them and flake them?

Back on the subject of bees and badgers, yes I wasn't sure, but they definitely did dig them out. They had a go on the first night, but there were a few bees still about the next day. I thought about trying to put wire across it. The following night it was decimated. I didn't realise they would have no honey. They were buff tailed bees. I have never seen a hedgehog where I live (which is quite rural), although I used to see them in suburban Liverpool all the time years ago.
Chillies:
We take them off the plant, put them in a food bag and pop them straight into the freezer, take them out as needed.

Hedgehogs:
My logic may be flawed but I am of the opinion that if you see one squashed on the road in a rural environment then it implies that the population is healthy based on the fact that with many fields to be in, the odds of getting hit by a car for an individual are quite low. The more you see dead, the larger the population in general perhaps. In an urban environment the opposite is true as there are few fields and if they are being killed on the roads in numbers then that is very bad for the local population. As I say, this may be twisted logic but at face value it seems to be true.

I put headings there in case I got the two species the wrong way round :):):)!

Architecture, It made my eyes go skew wiff.

When are they knocking it down, could the navy use it for gunnery practise.

Pete

When are they knocking it down, could the navy use it for gunnery practise.

Can't be long, it's in the middle of an artistic development so unless it's listed...

I really like your take on the architecture picture. It’s quite different to see a picture of something ugly when you’d expect a beautiful building.

Your chillies fit the theme too I used to spend some time years ago growing some. I didn’t have much luck this year though.

Red hot chilly peppers? sounds like a potential name for a band :D

Fits the theme :)

Bit of a shoehorn but hey ho. IRREGULAR use of a fish tank to keep carnivorous plants.

A bit of background info. This is a selection of two types of pitcher plant and of course the famous Venus Fly-trap. All these plants stay outside right thorough the winter with a piece of Perspex put over the top if there is a hard frost or snow. They are kept in an old 120 litre fish tank the bottom of which was drilled to make drainage holes. They are never artificially fed and catch all their own food.

Irregular by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thats an excellent shot Martin, love the colours.

Pete
They were very good models, I hardly had to tell them to do anything :)
I really like your take on the architecture picture. It’s quite different to see a picture of something ugly when you’d expect a beautiful building.

Your chillies fit the theme too I used to spend some time years ago growing some. I didn’t have much luck this year though.
It is pretty grim, isn't it.

We found out from a chilli grower we met at a food market that chillies are not annuals and if you protect them from frost they are good for three or four years. That saves us chucking them away and planting seeds every year.
Red hot chilly peppers? sounds like a potential name for a band :D

Fits the theme :)

These chillies can't play a note though, oh well. :(

Halloween. I'm afraid I have cheated here a bit as the other day I was wandering past the same place as my post for Spring was taken and lo, they had decorated the figures. In the absence of anything else halloweeny around here, I have doubled up on these.

Halloween by ShinySU, on Flickr

Spring-2 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
A different scene from the spring version so not really a cheat for me. Made me smile too

Funny and spooky - job done :)

Really nice bright colourful image. Agree with the others that taking a photo of the same scene in changing times is not cheating, it's documentary!

Really nice bright colourful image. Agree with the others that taking a photo of the same scene in changing times is not cheating, it's documentary!
That's it, documentary. I'll use that again :)

Underneath

This is a picture from underneath some fungus on a log in the garden. The tops of the fungi are a pleasant shade of brown but underneath they are white. For an interesting image, have a look at this on Flickr and blow it up as much as you can and look at the fascinating patterns in the glob of water about a third of the way in from the left. EDIT: In fact I've done it for you (see bottom picture).

I'm not sure if it's part of the water or whether it's just refracted from the pattern of the fungus underneath. I'm going to see if I can get my Micro lens on my Nikon on it tomorrow but there isn't much room (mushroom, geddit?) underneath to get my big camera in, plus the droplet, whatever it is, probably won't be there then.

Underneath by ShinySU, on Flickr

Underneath 2 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
lol
You are a fungi ( Fun guy ) Martin.
:D

There seems to be a problem with your link ...

Thanks Chris, link fixed.

Excellent shot and take on the theme.
Theres so much detail here once you start peeking!

Nice 'shroom :)

Did you bracket the exposure? :D

Back