Votes: 43 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 52 39.4%
  • In some situations I guess it'd be ok

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I already am

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters
im 50/50 on this about 7 years back when i worked the door 2 officers stoped a group of 4 lads , now these coppers were not small lads and certainly knew what they where doing im not sure why the stopped them but i watched and they started grappling with these lads i could see they might be ina bit of diffuclty so i walked towards them and they had 3 lads 2 in cuffs and between them grabbed the 3rd but the one that was left they really started to struggle so i jumped in and detained him to help them now this was a dark night what if while they were trying to deal with one of these lads the unclipped the side arm which both had and shot the copper or coppers while they were too busy trying to deal with the other muppet
i belive they should carry them but in the back of the car in a locked box and as they do now have permission to fire them

And that is what you get when you patiently try to explain the realities of the situation - from people who have no concept of what is involved and usually aren't in the least gun aware.

These two young women being slaughtered while routinely going about their job is a disgrace and there's quite rightly an outpouring of sympathy from most right- minded people. It's already yesterdays news though and a few weeks from now no-one will remember their names ... they'll just be another statistic, while every police shooting will be on peoples lips for months and years afterwards, analysed and dissected by internet 'experts' to the point of nausea.

So if I'm carrying a long pointy thing that might be a firearm and someone behinds me shouts something and they happen to to be armed police and I turn round it is ok to shoot me?

Last edited:
So if I'm carrying a long pointy thing that might be a firearm and someone behinds me shouts something and they happen to to be armed police and I turn round it is ok to shoot me?

That depends on whether it looks like a snooker cue or a shotgun and whether you are pointing it at the officer or have it slung over your shoulder etc.....

Of course not. If on the other hand you point long pointy thing at the cops expect them to fire if in the circumstances it looks like it could be a firearm

Last edited:
Dave1 said:
That thought gives me nightmares, and it possibly one of the worst I have ever heard.

I do think though that members of the public, with a permit (background check, no criminal record etc) should be entitled to self defence weapons. The civilian version of the Tazer would be an example, after that person had passed a training test (and only with the microdot cartridges, so every activation can be traced back to its permit holder to avoid unlawful use).
Which part gives you nightmares?

The training for police would dictate that this was the case.

There has been uproar before now when someone carrying a replica and pointing it towards police has been shot...... What goes through these peoples minds? What are the police going to do? Wait until at least one officer is shot at each incident just to check that the gun is real?

If someone points something at someone and it LOOKS like a gun then they will get shot, that is the training and the armed officer's duty.

THIS is the reason most officers do not want to be armed.

Taser, however, is another thing! But at least one of the officers killed in Manchester was carrying taser and unfortunately on that occasion she did not have time to use it.
I've seen replicas that look so real that they need a fairly detailed examination by someone who has a good knowledge of guns to establish whether they are real or not - there is absolutely no way, in an emergency situation, that anyone could possibly tell whether they were real or not and (FWIW) any police officer who used lethal force in that situation would have my full support.

And the same goes for airguns, blank firers and anything else that genuinely looks like a real gun.

It seems to me that tasers, or something similar, may be the way forward. I know that they are classified as firearms, but personally I don't view them as such. To me, they are an acceptable half way house between shouting "Stop doing that or I'll shout louder" and lethal force.
i belive they should carry them but in the back of the car in a locked box and as they do now have permission to fire them
Genuine question here, because I don't have a clue myself... Are there ANY emergency situations where having a handgun locked in a box in the back of a police car actually do any good?

On the subject of the public being allowed to carry guns it's definitely not on.

Following the first major shooting in this country - Hungerford- hasty legislation was introduced which introduced the safe -keeping requirements for shotguns in a knee jerk reaction to the incident although none of the weapons used by Ryan was a shotgun. It was no bad thing of course but it did nothing to address the basic problem. Shotgun Certificates are still pretty easy to get and few people would argue that they shouldn't be stored securely when not with the user.

Part One Firearms are a different matter - these were the weapons used by Ryan and since Hungerford there have been several similar incidents of mass shootings -some of them carried out by legitimate holders who have been subject to all the police scrutiny as to their suitability at the time of application. You can't legislate against people having mental breakdowns or otherwise going cuckoo. Restrictions on these weapons are now severe and while they're no doubt a PITA for responsible legitimate users - relaxing them would a foolish mistake.

Last edited:
It seems to me that tasers, or something similar, may be the way forward. I know that they are classified as firearms, but personally I don't view them as such. To me, they are an acceptable half way house between shouting "Stop doing that or I'll shout louder" and lethal force.
Genuine question here, because I don't have a clue myself... Are there ANY emergency situations where having a handgun locked in a box in the back of a police car actually do any good?

There are shot gun tasers that fit it between too.

article-1262215-08EE01B9000005DC-744_468x258.jpg

article-1262215-08EDFF44000005DC-165_233x193.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262215/Super-Taser-shotgun-bullet-assessed-Home-Office.html

THAT is a useful weapon!

CT said:
On the subject of the public being allowed to carry guns it's definitely not on.

Following the first major shooting in this country - Hungerford- hasty legislation was introduced which introduced the safe -keeping requirements for shotguns in a knee jerk reaction to the incident although none of the weapons used by Ryan was a shotgun. It was no bad thing of course but it did nothing to address the basic problem. Shotgun Certificates are still pretty easy to get and few people would argue that they shouldn't be stored securely when not with the user.

Part One Firearms are a different matter - these were the weapons used by Ryan and since Hungerford there have been several similar incidents of mass shootings -some of them carried out by legitimate holders who have been subject to all the police scrutiny as to their suitability at the time of application. You can't legislate against people having mental breakdowns or otherwise going cuckoo. Restrictions an these weapons are now severe and while they're no doubt a PITA for responsible legitimate users - relaxing them would a foolish mistake.

While I have every sympathy for all the victims and families of the shootings, if the police had gone by the home office guidelines these terrible incidents wouldn't have happened. Every case has had police failings on the side of the certificates being issued or not being revoked with the evidence the police had.

There are shot gun tasers that fit it between too.

article-1262215-08EE01B9000005DC-744_468x258.jpg

article-1262215-08EDFF44000005DC-165_233x193.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262215/Super-Taser-shotgun-bullet-assessed-Home-Office.html

THAT is a useful weapon!
I know, which is why I specifically mentioned it earlier in this thread. This is the weapon used by police in the Raol Moat incident, supplied by a man who was trying to help the police at the time. He was 'rewarded' by having his supplier status cancelled, and promptly killed himself, so I don't know whether anyone is currently trying to improve on this model and carrying out further development to make it small enough to carry routinely.
Part One Firearms are a different matter - these were the weapons used by Ryan and since Hungerford there have been several similar incidents of mass shootings -some of them carried out by legitimate holders who have been subject to all the police scrutiny as to their suitability at the time of application. You can't legislate against people having mental breakdowns or otherwise going cuckoo. Restrictions on these weapons are now severe and while they're no doubt a PITA for responsible legitimate users - relaxing them would a foolish mistake.
I completely agree - but let's not forget that in the cases of Ryan, Hamilton & Bird, it was police inefficiencies, poor decisions, ignored intelligence and a basic lack of understanding of Licensing regulations that put the firearms into the hands of the killers in the first place, and left them there.

I know, which is why I specifically mentioned it earlier in this thread. This is the weapon used by police in the Raol Moat incident, supplied by a man who was trying to help the police at the time. He was 'rewarded' by having his supplier status cancelled, and promptly killed himself, so I don't know whether anyone is currently trying to improve on this model and carrying out further development to make it small enough to carry routinely.

The smaller of the two weapons is the standard issue police taser.

taser-x26-ecd_4.png

There is a newer version which uses half width cartridges and allows two cartridges to be loaded at the same time. That one is not standard issue yet.

taser-x2_1.png

The smaller of the two weapons is the standard issue police taser.

taser-x26-ecd_4.png

There is a newer version which uses half width cartridges and allows two cartridges to be loaded at the same time. That one is not standard issue yet.

taser-x2_1.png
I know. a 2-shot version should be an enormous benefit.

I know. a 2-shot version should be an enormous benefit.

They've bought thousands of the old ones so switching is an issue as spares are bought via police purchasing agreements etc for years in advance! Just because it's better doesn't mean there will be a change but yes I very much agree that two would be better and I think all officers on front line duty should have one and there should be a couple of taser shot gun officers on each shift/area but training is not cheap. With officer numbers cut there is far less space for sending officers away for 3 days for a taser course or 1-2 days a year for refreshers whilst doing everything else as well.

What you're saying here is that the police are not adequately funded due to political decisions, which as a mod you shouldn't be doing:)

But of course you're right. There's an old saying that the public get the press they deserve, and they also get the police they deserve. IMO politicians (of all parties) should NOT make budget cuts to essential services such as fire, police, health.

What you're saying here is that the police are not adequately funded due to political decisions, which as a mod you shouldn't be doing:)

Not quite. I'm simply saying that the police have a specific budget and they have to spend it as the powers that be dictate is best. There are a lot of things to pay for and numerous parts of that cannot be accurately budgeted for at the beginning of a financial year. With that in mind they can only budget for certain amounts to do certain things. Just because I think that all front line officers should have taser does not mean that because they don't it's because they cannot afford it. It could simply be that they chose to spend the money in a different way. Having enough vehicles is just as important as is having the resilience to keep budgets back for major enquiries that might unexpectedly crop up.

Not quite. I'm simply saying that the police have a specific budget and they have to spend it as the powers that be dictate is best. There are a lot of things to pay for and numerous parts of that cannot be accurately budgeted for at the beginning of a financial year. With that in mind they can only budget for certain amounts to do certain things. Just because I think that all front line officers should have taser does not mean that because they don't it's because they cannot afford it. It could simply be that they chose to spend the money in a different way. Having enough vehicles is just as important as is having the resilience to keep budgets back for major enquiries that might unexpectedly crop up.
Good answer and fair point. Maybe it's (partly) about allocation of resources.

Of course, if I wasn't PC I might wonder whether time and money spent on training in use of tasers and other self defence might achieve more than money spent on diversity training...

Flash
Still trying then. If you can't dispute the facts of a matter, attack the person.

A shame you always resort to that tactic, as like Garry, you can be sensible, like your comment in reply to the idea everyone should have access to firearms. I agree with you, what a daft thought!

Garry

It's my impression that you constantly defend junior police officers and constantly make very critical statements about senior officers, ACPO, IPCC and the like, so your statement above means pretty much nothing -

Unless they have changed things in the last 10 minutes, ACPOO ranks are members of the Police Force.
So, as part of the Police, being critical does not disqualify me from holding an opinion on them, thats an opinion based on a great deal of experience, not none.
In general, I don't make critical comments about 'junior' officers', whatever that means in your mind. I am supportive of them, again, because I am qualified to be, and I don't base my comments on what the papers say. I make comments about 'Senior' ones because they are on the whole useless incompetent and should not hold the rank they do. There are exceptions of course, just as there are in the PC/PS/Insp ranks. I have said that many times before, I'm not going to repeat it everytime you feel like attacking Police Officers, or peoples opinions when they don't see it your way.

I don't see the relevance of the witness statement by their informant who couldn't tell the difference between an Irishman and a Scot,

The difference really isn't relevant, and the facts are in the Investigation report, which got there in the end. I'd suggest you read that, not rely upon the crap that is spouted on here or in the press. What matters is what is in the officers minds, and what caused their minds to believe he was armed was a direct consequence of what that informant said. It is therefore very relevant.

In the case of Mark Duggan, here was a known criminal shot dead by police, the police say that they honestly thought that he was an immediate danger to themselves so they shot him dead - self defence, as far as the law is concerned. But it seems to me that there may be very good reasons to investigate the police actions, for example there is the mystery of the disappearing gun, apparently the officer who didn't fire the shots saw him pull a self loading pistol from his waistband, even though the gun couldn't be found afterwards, the gun that was found, that had apparently been thrown out of the car just before the police opened the car door, wasn't a self loading pistol, it was a blank firer that had been converted. And the police officer who found the thrown away gun didn't know whether it was ready to fire or not, and didn't make a statement for 3 months, apparently because he was told not to by a senior officer whose name he can't remember...

It took a while to compose a reply to that, it took me a time to stop laughing at it. Again, I'd suggest you ignore the Guardians reporting.

As I said to you before, I'd suggest you have a look at the Barristers comments opening the related trial, and keep your eye on the evidence that will follow.
What I'd suggest you don't do, is take note of the Guardian's reporting of it, they have already had to withdraw a great deal of the report you based the above quoted paragraph on.

Moving now to your earlier comments about Police use of firearms, before you threw teddy in the corner and went away. Certainly when I was in the Job, our firearms were looked after by qualified technicians, mostly ex army. I have to say that all of your coments reminded me of most people in gun clubs attitude, and in the main wrong. Personally, I find most people in gun clubs are not people I feel easy around, most worry me, the fact they are allowed near firearms worries me more.

malo50

Simply because in the case of Duggan, they Guardian has already had to withdraw a great deal of what they reported originally. In the case of Stanley, I'd suggest you do as Flash suggested, and Google it. Then look at the report on the IPCC's web site. They didn't exist when that incident happened, but I would guess for reasons of public interest it is there.
You'll note a great deal of difference, one example being the press very much underplaying the fact the chair leg was in a bag, and that it was dark. 2 very important points, and one which many, not knowing seem to base their opinions on.
Now, the press base their reports on what, rumour? innuendo? what they were told in the pub in return for a few drinks by someone who wasn't there?? The Investigation base theirs on something else, mostly things that can be proven. No, you can't prove what was in the officers mind, but it's a fair bet they didn't sit and think, oh look, there's a bloke with a chair leg, lets shoot him.

Last edited:
Bernie,

I'm sure that I'm just wasting photons replying to you, but I'll do it anyway...

I agree that none of us can rely on what we read in the press. This report in The Independant, covering the trial of the gentleman accused of supplying Mr. Duggan with the gun, seems to support your own view. And so does this one from the BBC, but it has been updated (changed) since yesterday, where a police officer was quoted as admitting that the gun that he is sure Duggan was about to fire disappeared and that, following advice from the police federation and his solicitor, his own statement left out all mention of the gun, and that he doesn't know whether he left out this information deliberately or not...

This one, by the BBC, appears to raise doubts about the integrity of police officers. Again, it has been updated/changed, yesterday it included the information that the police officer didn't know the name of the supervisor who told him not to make a statement...
But I have now managed to find the original BBC version, which is interesting

My views? I don't have any because I wasn't there and don't know. Do you know any more about it than the rest of us? I'll wait for the inquest verdict.

And as for your comments about Guardian readers, that's fine. You have your opinions, Guardian readers may or may not have the same opinions. Me? despite what you may think, I have never read the Guardian so have no idea what you're talking about.

It seems these two policewomen were armed with tazers, or at least one of them was, as it was recovered from the scene. It seems she had time to draw it but not to fire.

It seems cause of death has now been established as gunshot wounds- so not down to the grenade usage.

I'm a police officer on a response team. I do not wish to be armed now and never will be. I am a fan of taser and can happily say taser it is bein issued to more frontline officers throughout the next year or so.

Officers can potentially make several hard decisions in a day, and be put in stressful situations. To arm each officer could be dangerous, so my view is, leave it to the guys that are specifically trained for firearm incidents.

It's horrific what happened to the two officers, and its a massive loss. Nothing was personal against them, it was an attack to the thing the represent. Ultimately whether they were armed or not, I find it horrible to say, but I don't think they stood much of a chance.

It seems cause of death has now been established as gunshot wounds- so not down to the grenade usage.

Some of the eye witnesses have said that the younger officer tried to escape and was incapacitated with the grenade then shot. It is absolutely horrific whatever the details.

I personal feel that taser (with appropriate training) should be standard issue but lethal firearms should remain the domain or the specialist team / individual. By lethal I mean guns - I'm sure it is possible to kill with a taser but that is not their primary function as far as I know.

I do think there is something to be gained by the potential criminal knowing that your standard pc could 'drop them' for want of a better phrase with a taser. I don't think upgrading the perceived threat to being shot would have any beneficial effect though. I also don't think all police have the mentality needed as a firearms officer - that is not a judgement btw, just an observation. I see blanket issue of firearms causing more harm than good. Civilians legally carrying firearms is unthinkable to me.

Bernie - your posts seem to be very defensive, and despite your repeated assertions not everybody with a different opinion to yours is an avid Guardian reader. You can make your point without insulting people if you want to - it may be better received if you did.

Stating the bloody obvious... a tazer is only useful up close and personal. So only poses a threat if the officer is close by

Meanwhile the criminal with a gun just has to be 1 inch further than the range of a tazer or truncheon and he has the advantage

Bernie174 said:
Flash
Still trying then. If you can't dispute the facts of a matter, attack the person.

A shame you always resort to that tactic, as like Garry, you can be sensible, like your comment in reply to the idea everyone should have access to firearms. I agree with you, what a daft thought!

Garry

Unless they have changed things in the last 10 minutes, ACPOO ranks are members of the Police Force.
So, as part of the Police, being critical does not disqualify me from holding an opinion on them, thats an opinion based on a great deal of experience, not none.
In general, I don't make critical comments about 'junior' officers', whatever that means in your mind. I am supportive of them, again, because I am qualified to be, and I don't base my comments on what the papers say. I make comments about 'Senior' ones because they are on the whole useless incompetent and should not hold the rank they do. There are exceptions of course, just as there are in the PC/PS/Insp ranks. I have said that many times before, I'm not going to repeat it everytime you feel like attacking Police Officers, or peoples opinions when they don't see it your way.

The difference really isn't relevant, and the facts are in the Investigation report, which got there in the end. I'd suggest you read that, not rely upon the crap that is spouted on here or in the press. What matters is what is in the officers minds, and what caused their minds to believe he was armed was a direct consequence of what that informant said. It is therefore very relevant.

It took a while to compose a reply to that, it took me a time to stop laughing at it. Again, I'd suggest you ignore the Guardians reporting.

As I said to you before, I'd suggest you have a look at the Barristers comments opening the related trial, and keep your eye on the evidence that will follow.
What I'd suggest you don't do, is take note of the Guardian's reporting of it, they have already had to withdraw a great deal of the report you based the above quoted paragraph on.

Moving now to your earlier comments about Police use of firearms, before you threw teddy in the corner and went away. Certainly when I was in the Job, our firearms were looked after by qualified technicians, mostly ex army. I have to say that all of your coments reminded me of most people in gun clubs attitude, and in the main wrong. Personally, I find most people in gun clubs are not people I feel easy around, most worry me, the fact they are allowed near firearms worries me more.

malo50

Simply because in the case of Duggan, they Guardian has already had to withdraw a great deal of what they reported originally. In the case of Stanley, I'd suggest you do as Flash suggested, and Google it. Then look at the report on the IPCC's web site. They didn't exist when that incident happened, but I would guess for reasons of public interest it is there.
You'll note a great deal of difference, one example being the press very much underplaying the fact the chair leg was in a bag, and that it was dark. 2 very important points, and one which many, not knowing seem to base their opinions on.
Now, the press base their reports on what, rumour? innuendo? what they were told in the pub in return for a few drinks by someone who wasn't there?? The Investigation base theirs on something else, mostly things that can be proven. No, you can't prove what was in the officers mind, but it's a fair bet they didn't sit and think, oh look, there's a bloke with a chair leg, lets shoot him.

I really appreciate the in depth reply, Bernie, I'll look at the report you refer to. I just want to make it clear that I'm a huge supporter of the police and I wouldn't do their job for all the tulips in Amsterdam. Maybe I'm a bit naive about how certain things are reported, but i do know that the Guardian has at least one columnist who is vehemently anti police.

Stating the bloody obvious... a tazer is only useful up close and personal. So only poses a threat if the officer is close by

Meanwhile the criminal with a gun just has to be 1 inch further than the range of a tazer or truncheon and he has the advantage

Yes, that is a bit obvious. But the real risk isn't from guns, it's from knives and other weapons capable of causing close range injury, that's why 'unarmed' police officers need tasers instead of guns and why they are issued with stab vests instead of ospreys.

I don't know any figures concerning the number of times that a non-specialist firearms officer has to deal with a criminal who points a real gun at him (although of course I accept that it must be unbelievably traumatic when it does happen) but working with the figures that we do have, we do know that a maximum of 0.07% of all violent crime of any sort could involve a firearm. And that includes unsubstantiated reports of firearms, airguns, paintball guns, toy guns, and also included in that figure is other firearms offences such as possession, that are not involved in violent crime at all.

This situation in my opinion is similar to my thoughts on the death penalty , every now and then an innocent person may die which is an acceptable loss (unless your the person or relative of them) but is far out weighed by the removal of a scumbag who once dead can`t re-offend after they`ve convinced a do-gooder they have become a reformed charater or found god, i`m just your average guy in the street who is sick of the attitude when it comes to our police by those who manage to take video when they step out of line but never have the cameras on when crime is being commited:bang:

This situation in my opinion is similar to my thoughts on the death penalty , every now and then an innocent person may die which is an acceptable loss (unless your the person or relative of them) but is far out weighed by the removal of a scumbag who once dead can`t re-offend after they`ve convinced a do-gooder they have become a reformed charater or found god, i`m just your average guy in the street who is sick of the attitude when it comes to our police by those who manage to take video when they step out of line but never have the cameras on when crime is being commited:bang:

As always. Would you be so bold if the one that was innocent but killed was you or a member of your family?

I'm a police officer on a response team. I do not wish to be armed now and never will be. I am a fan of taser and can happily say taser it is bein issued to more frontline officers throughout the next year or so.

Officers can potentially make several hard decisions in a day, and be put in stressful situations. To arm each officer could be dangerous, so my view is, leave it to the guys that are specifically trained for firearm incidents.

It's horrific what happened to the two officers, and its a massive loss. Nothing was personal against them, it was an attack to the thing the represent. Ultimately whether they were armed or not, I find it horrible to say, but I don't think they stood much of a chance.

Hi,i think you will find most police forces around the world are armed,please dont think i am having a go,but why do you think most UK police are against it,when it doesnt seem to be a problem with the rest of the world.

I would like to add,i think ours is one of the best trained forces around,do you think if offices would be able to cope if it came to being armed.

:)

Last edited:

Bernie,
May I ask what attitude you think most gun club members have and what is wrong with them and also why you feel uneasy around them and the fact that they are allowed near firearms worries you?

simonblue said:
Hi,i think you will find most police forces around the world are armed,please dont think i am having a go,but why do you think most UK police are against it,when it doesnt seem to be a problem with the rest of the world.

I would like to add,i think ours is one of the best trained forces around,do you think if offices would be able to cope if it came to being armed.

:)

Hi,

To be honest with you, nobody really knows why. As stupid as it sounds, I think it's more the case of we haven't got a reason to.
The British police praise themselves on being one of the only un armed forces, well services nowadays, in the world.

I can only speak on behalf of the force I work for. When a call comes in, intel checks are done on the location and people, so we normally have a good idea of what we are walking into anyway. Yes, this does fail sometimes, but I don't think routinely arming us will help or stop.
A taser has a 30foot shooting distance iirc and can be used up close, so to an extent, a taser will help with a withdrawal.

If I dive into it properly and being honest, I think it's the lack of support from senior officers that puts people off having a firearm as well. If you cs someone or baton strike them, it's down to you to justify why you have done that. Each of those actions have the capabilities of serious injury, the reality of it is, a taser is actually a less lethal force , which senior management would support if used.
If you shoot someone dead, alot of officers don't have faith in the seniors that they will stand by your decision. You only have to look in the media to see when officers have been left out to dry due to their use of force.

When in training your taught that your force has to be justified and reasonable, yet when it's used it is criticised.
If an active firearms call comes out, Trojan units are automatically assigned to make their way to the call. If officers are routinely armed, I can see this changing to, response officers attend and assess, then depending on that, call Trojan. I don't think it's fair to put frontline officers in that situation, leave it to the guys with months and training and years of experience in firearms.

Sorry for the long reply. Hopefully it makes sense, I've just woken up an using the iPhone keyboard.

Potter - that makes perfect sense, thanks for the insight.

Adam,

I think that this is by far the best answer so far. Thank you.

Adam great answer and as garry said best by far.

Potter, thanks for a great explanation,as already said best explanation of the situation.

Sorry for the long reply. Hopefully it makes sense, I've just woken up an using the iPhone keyboard.

It's great to finally get an inside view of the whole situation.
You also raise some (speaking as a civilian) slightly worrying points,
ref the lack of support for officers, from their seniors.

I guess its like everything these days, its all about political arse covering .

Thank you for your informed input (y)

Back