Simon's 52 in 2024

Week 39 - Exit

Just back from a glorious 5 nights playing golf in Portugal to dull, overcast and much colder (!) conditions, in time to get some shots in for this week's theme. These were all taken this morning on a breezy stroll on the Penarth side of Cardiff Bay

This is the exit from the outer basin, as you come out of the sea locks on Cardiff Bay Barrage into the Bristol Channel. The island of Steepholm is visible in the distance, and Penarth Head just making an appearance on the right.

Exit from outer barrage into Bristol Channel by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

These are the three large sea locks that enable traffic to exit from Cardiff Bay and Penarth Marina into the Bristol Channel, and is taken looking roughly 180 degrees from the first shot.

Exit from sea locks at Cardiff Bay Barrage by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

This is the exit from the two Penarth Marina basins into Cardiff Bay on the inland side of the barrage

Exit from Penarth Marina into Cardiff Bay by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

This shows the exit of the river Ely, one of two rivers emptying into Cardiff Bay - the river Taff being the other one)

Exit of River Ely into Cardiff Bay by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice set of pix :)

Very nice.
I used to live in the flats on top of that cliff on the right. I worked in Cardiff bay at the time, so I cycled over the barage every day and made sure to do battle with the hill on the way home.
Cycling in the snow was fine, but one time coming back it was so windy I had to stop as I risked being blown on the rocks. But once I stopped it was too windy to get off the bike. Eventually when there was a brief lull I got off, pushed the bike to this point in the picture and then got back on. The hill was the easy part after that.

Very nice.

I used to live in the flats on top of that cliff on the right. I worked in Cardiff bay at the time, so I cycled over the barage every day and made sure to do battle with the hill on the way home.
Cycling in the snow was fine, but one time coming back it was so windy I had to stop as I risked being blown on the rocks. But once I stopped it was too windy to get off the bike. Eventually when there was a brief lull I got off, pushed the bike to this point in the picture and then got back on. The hill was the easy part after that.
Thanks for looking,
It can get very windy there can’t it? :LOL:
It’s very bracing in the winter as you'll know well and that hill up into Penarth certainly isn’t for the faint hearted!

Week 40 - Candid and Tech - Panning

This was my first attempt at panning, so I hope I've got something presentable.
I also found it slightly awkward pointing a camera at someone (even though they didn't see me doing so) for the candid theme, I guess just in case they saw me and stopped to ask me why I was taking a photo of them (I'd have old them obviously).

Anyway, here goes.

Both were taken in Pontcanna Fields, Cardiff. I like the first one because I think the shot is more balanced, but it's further away, and so I've chosen the second shot because it's closer whilst still being candid (I hope), and I think the panning is more obvious, even though I find the bright flat sky a little distracting

Panned cyclist 2 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Panned cyclist by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Good stuff. Having a daughter who did both Cambridge & Oxford for Uni - I've done of lot of this :)

Back