SLR FILM CAMERAH

Name
graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,I am in a quandry & also desperate I need to purchase a very, very cheap used slr film camera for a college course, I presently use a dslr which I am quite happy with but the course insists on the presentation being on a film camera. I dont feel I shall use it much after the course that`s why I am talking of only paying in the region of £30 to £40. am I expecting too much or can of you good people point in the right direction for this sort of bargain.
I appreciate any suggestions.:thinking::naughty::(:crying:

I have this one for sale if its any good to you?
Only problem is your lenses would not fit as its a Canon, but if you know a Canon user you can borrow from the current EF lenses will fit it.

Susie are you talking about the body only or do you have akit lens to throw in with it?

Hi Tommy,

I was in a similar situation to you with a mandatory couple of weeks using film on my C&G L2 course.

For that sort of budget you can certainly get yourself a half decent body. If you have a Digital SLR then may maybe you should look to get a film camera that might be compatible with your existing lens(es)...?

Alternatively check out local 'Cash Convertor' type shops or also maybe a local camera shop for a 2nd hand camera - although the camera shop probably may want a bit more than your budget - try haggling with them...

Don't be put off by film, I nearly was. However after a couple of weeks working with it I realise nothing compares to taking, developing and printing your own B&W film. Careful - you might get addicted!

Thanks Freestyle for the advise I am exploring all those avenues.;)

Why do these courses insist on using film? Surely by now it should be an option? I've nothing against film, 20+ years ago I used to process hundreds of rolls of E6 every day, had my own B+W darkroom, etc. but I am struggling to see any real benefit of learning about it now in terms of future employment?

I agree entirely & thats why I am not happy about having to purchase something I have no intention of using on completion of the course and not prepared to spend lots of cash on it, ie a budget of only £30:(

what about ebay?
I bought a canon EOS 1000FN with the 28-105mm with a Cobra flashgun for £35 including delivery last year. There are lots of bargains like that on ebay, you should give it a try!

What about this one?

Lots of good stuff on ebay.
My Daughter was in the same boat, nearly bought a nice Praktica off this forum but my Dad had a spare SLR she is using now.
I think the point of using film is to appreciate the process of creating an image and using photography as an art form. If she fancies a career in something like Graphic Design as I did, then learning all the aspects of photography and image processing will be a great help. She is also learning about photograms, something i had forgotten about many years ago.

Using film has given her a greater interest in photography too, when she has finished with my Dads camera, I have a nice shiny Nikon F6 waiting to see the light of day again.

Allan

See if you can find a Pentax K1000 somewhere, it should be cheap, it's a great manual film camera and is built like a brick.

Also why not see if some departing students have a film camera for sale?

Why do these courses insist on using film? Surely by now it should be an option? I've nothing against film, 20+ years ago I used to process hundreds of rolls of E6 every day, had my own B+W darkroom, etc. but I am struggling to see any real benefit of learning about it now in terms of future employment?

I hear what you are saying - when I realised my course had a film element I nearly didn't bother signing up for the course as I wasn't really interested.

However having done the 3 weeks of processing / darkroom I am glad I have. I think it makes you appreciate your digital photography more and understand the background and processes and where some of the digital techniques actually originate from.

OK so maybe not many employers in the photgraphy industry are looking for film experience but surely it shows a more rounded and complete training? Knowledge is king right?

Probably because the syllabus says so - Most of these courses were probably written about 20 years ago and have not really changed to fit in with modern technology.
A friend took a basic course last year and this was split roughly 50/50 film and digital so maybe things are changing.
She did say that using an MF film body made it easier to understand about ISO and aperture though...

Film cameras plus lenses are going for peanuts on ebay even early Canon autofocus like the 620,600 & 650 and once used you should be able to recoup the cost by reselling it.If you want MF then you can probably pick up an old screw mount plus lens for £10-£20,and remember some of those old screw mount lenses are pin sharp and can attach to your DSLR with a cheap adapter as I do.

Back