Speedlite Umbrella trial

Name
Daniel Hodson
Edit My Images
Yes
Having recently upgraded to the Canon 7D and gaining remote firing of my 430 EXII I decided to get myself a speedlite umbrella so I could make better use of my flash.

I finally got around to trialling my umbrella with Danielle (my fiancée). I feel I need to get to grips with my upgrade before I go out and shoot strangers.

Here are some of the results. I posted both black&white as well as colour as I couldn't decide which I prefer.

colour by daniel.hodson., on Flickr

black&white by daniel.hodson., on Flickr

and the other image:

colour by daniel.hodson., on Flickr

black&white by daniel.hodson., on Flickr

Last edited:
I really like the first picture in b&w! In color her eyes look too shadowed to retain much detail. Great work!

I really like the first picture in b&w! In color her eyes look too shadowed to retain much detail. Great work!

I agree, that's the best of the 4

Hi Daniel, are you using the umbrella & flash as reflective or shoot through. The light looks a little harsh and may give a softer light with shoot through and try moving further away. Different distances would show you the effects.

Malcolm

Hi Daniel, are you using the umbrella & flash as reflective or shoot through. The light looks a little harsh and may give a softer light with shoot through and try moving further away. Different distances would show you the effects.

Malcolm

I used it as a reflective on these images, but will bare in mind shooting through. I had trialled shoot through in the day, but noticed little different, but as a main light source I see where it could make a difference. I'm in quite a confined space in the location I shot the images, rather than adjust the distance, if I stopped down the flash this would have the same effect?

Thank you people for the feedback, I've just returned back to TP after a not being on here a few years.

Suggest you read up on : light inverse square law
:)
I am sure someone has written a better explanation than I can muster up :)

I found a wiki article on the subject, confusing stuff. I've never been great with maths formulae. :puke:

Daniel, the first two have way too much loss of detail in her top and hair, mate.

Daniel, the first two have way too much loss of detail in her top and hair, mate.

I see what you're saying about the top, don't see where on the hair, it looks pretty detailed to me, there is slight clipping on the hair, but not enough to be a problem?

Heres the image showing clipping.

screenshot20110128at162.png

It was because I ran an action on it post process wise, hopefully its address now:

img26374.jpg

Last edited:
I see what you're saying about the top, don't see where on the hair, it looks pretty detailed to me, there is slight clipping on the hair, but not enough to be a problem?

Heres the image showing clipping.

screenshot20110128at162.png

That's where we'd differ, mate. I would consider that amount of clipping in the hair a problem, but it's made more obvious by the rest of the clipping.

The new version is great.

cheers boss, I've realised that the a program I use on my mac called 'flux' was enabled which changed my colour profile on my monitor.

I'll always remember to re evaluate the clipping when I've finished post processing.

Back