Stuck between Sony and Nikon (I have both)

Name
Lawrie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone.

Currently I have a Sony A7 MK2 with 24-70mm f4 and 70-200mm f4. I had a Nikon ZFC since launch and on Friday bought a 24-70mm f4 S for that camera. Now im back in love with my photography, I have always loved Nikon having previously owned a Nikon D800.. Now I dont really want to keep paying twice aka two camera systems. So whats your opinion here? go all out Nikon ie a Z6 or 7 and sell the Sony or what ? Thanks in advance.

Use the kit that pleases you and does what you need. If you don't enjoy the sony system then move it on.

I think it... depends......

Which do you prefer to use?
Which brand has the lenses you want to use?
Which body has the best features for you?
Which brand gives you more for your money?

I have a few systems, but all different usage :)

My main, invested system is Sony FF. I have Yashica 35mm film. And an X100f.

Sell the Sony, as Nikon has reignited your interest. I wouldn't muddy the waters introducing another manufacturer.

Both systems and others have cameras that will do pretty much anything. Comes down to budget, whether you will buy new and if you actually have a preference for a brand and/or like the feel of a brand. I've shot Canon, Nikon, Sony and had a flirt with Fuji and Olympus. They all had plus points and they are had things that other brands did better. My reason for changing was nearly always a body from another brand was a good bit ahead and I could afford to change. Canon to Nikon was because the D810 was miles better for landscapes that the forthcoming 5D IV and then when I was looking to move to mirrorless the Z6 had terrible AF so that made me move to Sony and an A9/A7R iv. I think the cameras I have are so good now that I may be seduced by another Sony but it would be far too much hassle to change brands. If you are going mirrorless then Sony has the advantage of a wide selection of lenses, good second hand market and lots of third party options that as long as you are happy with slower frame rates work brilliantly

I'm not really a zoom person. I like primes and especially compact ones so here's my answer to the Sony / Nikon question...

Sell the Nikon because (I assume) it's worth more and because Sony do some tiny primes and buy either a teeny tiny Sony 35mm f2.8 or teeny tiny Sony 40mm f2.5 and add a teeny tiny very cheap Sony mount Pergear 35mm f1.4 or teeny tiny very cheap Sony mount TTArtisan 50mm f2 for very cheap manual focus fun :D

Hi, I would keep both systems. I currently use Leica M9, Nikon (D500, D850) and SONY (A7, A7ii, A7Rii), so, why not. I would buy a SONY 2,8/35, as suggested by woof woof to have a nice compact A7ii combo.

If you are happy with the NIKON ZFc, keep it. But I would buy no more DX lenses, because the ZF is an attractive camera you might wish to upgrade to in the future ...

(I would never have to sell NIKON gear, because my wife uses NIKON, too. She gladly took my D800 when I bought the D850 ...)

Last edited:
Hi, I would keep both systems. I currently use Leica M9, Nikon (D500, D850) and SONY (A7, A7ii, A7Rii), so, why not. I would buy a SONY 2,8/35, as suggested by woof woof to have a nice compact A7ii combo.

If you are happy with the NIKON ZFc, keep it. But I would buy no more DX lenses, because the ZF is an attractive camera you might wish to upgrade to in the future ...

(I would never have to sell NIKON gear, because my wife uses NIKON, too. She gladly took my D800 when I bought the D850 ...)
Not a helpful reply when I am trying to decide on a Z8 (have Nikon D500 and D850, plus the Pentax K-1 which I love using, and lots of film kit)..... :LOL:

Not a helpful reply when I am trying to decide on a Z8 (have Nikon D500 and D850, plus the Pentax K-1 which I love using, and lots of film kit)..... :LOL:
Unless you want a smaller body, I wouldn't suggest a Sony if your happy with the dslrs you already have. Plus fps is definitely something to consider.
Hi everyone.

Currently I have a Sony A7 MK2 with 24-70mm f4 and 70-200mm f4. I had a Nikon ZFC since launch and on Friday bought a 24-70mm f4 S for that camera. Now im back in love with my photography, I have always loved Nikon having previously owned a Nikon D800.. Now I dont really want to keep paying twice aka two camera systems. So whats your opinion here? go all out Nikon ie a Z6 or 7 and sell the Sony or what ? Thanks in advance.
For fast focusing I wouldn't suggest anything older that a z6iii z8 or z9.

Last edited:
Sell the Sony, as Nikon has reignited your interest. I wouldn't muddy the waters introducing another manufacturer.
i agree,, tho not in any rush so might keep both, have also got a pentax q 7 but thats in its box whilst i decide what to do with it.

Both systems and others have cameras that will do pretty much anything. Comes down to budget, whether you will buy new and if you actually have a preference for a brand and/or like the feel of a brand. I've shot Canon, Nikon, Sony and had a flirt with Fuji and Olympus. They all had plus points and they are had things that other brands did better. My reason for changing was nearly always a body from another brand was a good bit ahead and I could afford to change. Canon to Nikon was because the D810 was miles better for landscapes that the forthcoming 5D IV and then when I was looking to move to mirrorless the Z6 had terrible AF so that made me move to Sony and an A9/A7R iv. I think the cameras I have are so good now that I may be seduced by another Sony but it would be far too much hassle to change brands. If you are going mirrorless then Sony has the advantage of a wide selection of lenses, good second hand market and lots of third party options that as long as you are happy with slower frame rates work brilliantly
like the hidden affiliate link there, smart thinking.

I have no dx lenses only z

I suppose another camera system thats sparked some interest from me would be medium format.

I suppose another camera system thats sparked some interest from me would be medium format.

Hi, in my film days I used a ROLLEI 6x6 and a FUJI 645. But I found 24x36mm cameras more convenient, which keeps me now from buying digital "medium format" ...

FWIW I find my A7III pretty much equivalent in terms of resolving power to film 645 medium format or possibly a bit better.

Mhmm just been to my first carnival, last time I went to one I took the Sony A72 with Zeiss / Sony 24-70mm F4, but tonight I took the Nikon ZFC with newly bought Nikon Z 24-70mm f4 and I have to say I am dissappointed with some of the photos I thought would had come out better. I think its because I used the Nikon ZFC manually in a fast paced environment and perhaps its not really a camera for such an environment, however I did find the more complex af modes helpful so am leaning towards selling all my sony gear and getting a nikon fx camera.

The images I thought would had come out fine were blurred, perhaps user error, idk.

The images I thought would had come out fine were blurred, perhaps user error, idk.

I'd advise not using manual mode unless making a reasoned conscious decision to do so. I think the more you let the camera do the more you can concentrate on the framing and deciding when to press the shutter button.

I use aperture priority because that seems to suit me best. I use it until the shutter speed falls too low and then I switch to manual and dial in appropriate aperture and shutter settings and let the camera sort out the auto ISO.

I also have a couple of custom modes, one with aperture mode, wide area focus, eye/face detect and auto ISO and the other with manual mode with shutter speed settings appropriate for people shots, wide area focus, eye/face detect and auto ISO.

Not sure if the lens VR works on the Zfc as the body doesn't have it. What focus mode/settings were you using

Last edited:
I agree, my mental health has been really poor this past year, i think it might had been more user error, but still I made the effort to go and I had a great time. I remember using aperture mode before, also the menu system with different af modes confused me. Maybe I will stick to what ive got and persevere.,

Wide focuses goes to the nearest person I think. Not sure what the options on the Zfc but auto (people bird etc) and 3d would have been better for tracking or simply spot focus. What iso, shutter speed, f stop?

Last edited:
was around iso 100-200 and f4 and also 5.6, shutter was 250

yeah good idea. Im not usually one for going such a high iso during the daylight.

Back