Stuck between Sony and Nikon (I have both)

Walking around handheld, I think Av mode with auto ISO and a minimum shutter speed is the easiest way to shoot with control over the DOF.

If I'm not on a tripod shooting landscape, longer exposure or night skies, ALL my cameras are set up that way (except my film camera obv)

Hi everyone.

Currently I have a Sony A7 MK2 with 24-70mm f4 and 70-200mm f4. I had a Nikon ZFC since launch and on Friday bought a 24-70mm f4 S for that camera. Now im back in love with my photography, I have always loved Nikon having previously owned a Nikon D800.. Now I dont really want to keep paying twice aka two camera systems. So whats your opinion here? go all out Nikon ie a Z6 or 7 and sell the Sony or what ? Thanks in advance.
For me it would be a case of thinking where photography may take me in the future, which lenses I'd need for the journey and then which system has he better options.

I've always loved Nikon however when moving to mirrorless I went all in with Sony as, for the lenses I use the Sony system saved me a lot of weight (400g with the 70-200mm f2.8 and 312g with the 50mm f1.2) and Nikon still doesn't have a native 35mm f1.4.

I always veered away from Sony as I don't like their colour profiles (still don't) but found color fidelity profiles and now I'm really happy with the colours. If Nikon's lens lineup matched Sony's I'd have probably gone with Nikon though.

I did not understand how you are paying twice if you already own both. If so, an option would be to keep both. I had a Canon 5D4 but found increasing difficulties coping with the weight of the Canon kit so I bought a Sony A6600. The Sony has been much more practical for general photography outings. However, I have kept the 5D4 which I still use occasionally; particularly for studio work or very low light.

Dave

Look at what lens you intend to buy, compare prices and quality. Use both cameras on a same days shoot and see which one your happier using, or better for what you do. Then decide.
Remember you dont have to sell the other system, maybe just not invest more money in it.

They do as of this past week. ;)
So they do, very cheap too compared to the competition :eek: I wonder what the quality’s going to be like, surely some compromises must have been made to for it to be so cheap (relatively speaking)?

Or maybe this is Nikon’s new strategy, the Z8 was surprisingly cheap (again relatively speaking), maybe they’re trying to steal some of the market back by making their system better value for money :thinking: I hope so because that’s hopefully put a stop to Canon and Sony fleecing everyone ;)

It's possible that the new 35/1.4 is "just" the F mount lens with a new mount rather than a complete redesign. Of course, it's equally possible that (as with all too many things these days) it's been built down to a price rather than up to a quality (but I'd be surprised if that were the case, with any f/1.4 lens being a [vaguely!] premium product.)

So they do, very cheap too compared to the competition :eek: I wonder what the quality’s going to be like, surely some compromises must have been made to for it to be so cheap (relatively speaking)?

Or maybe this is Nikon’s new strategy, the Z8 was surprisingly cheap (again relatively speaking), maybe they’re trying to steal some of the market back by making their system better value for money :thinking: I hope so because that’s hopefully put a stop to Canon and Sony fleecing everyone ;)
Well, it’s not an S line lens, they have the 35 1.8 for that which I’ve read mixed reviews on. My understanding is it’s a ‘character’ lens rather than optically excellent. They’ll be keeping that label for the impending 35mm 1.2.

issues with current gallery.. how would i be best for selling photo prints ?? ie gallery etc with shopping cart ??

I went to LCE today and had a look at a used Nikon Z7 and I just couldnt justify paying all that change for one, especially with the new memory cards id need and then a better computer no doubt, i am considering a used sony a7r3

I went to LCE today and had a look at a used Nikon Z7 and I just couldnt justify paying all that change for one, especially with the new memory cards id need and then a better computer no doubt, i am considering a used sony a7r3
It will have a similar file size for your PC. I got an A7R3 in a very good package deal. I miss the A9 I swapped it for but have been very pleasantly impressed with the files. They are not as easy to set up as the A9 and A1s I am used to as they lack the extra dial on the left. For sport that is an issue but I use it as a remote so it works well for that

It will have a similar file size for your PC. I got an A7R3 in a very good package deal. I miss the A9 I swapped it for but have been very pleasantly impressed with the files. They are not as easy to set up as the A9 and A1s I am used to as they lack the extra dial on the left. For sport that is an issue but I use it as a remote so it works well for that
Thank you, thats very helpful, as I have some nice glass for my Sony A72.

OK issue last night, I went outside to try and take some astrophotography, talk about hard work, trying to use the ZFC at night lol. Im still undecided if I want to upgrade to anything too fancy, I will be keeping both current cameras regardless.

OK issue last night, I went outside to try and take some astrophotography, talk about hard work, trying to use the ZFC at night lol. Im still undecided if I want to upgrade to anything too fancy, I will be keeping both current cameras regardless.
The Sony cameras I have allow a function called Bright Star monitoring. It makes manually focussing on stars very easy

The Sony cameras I have allow a function called Bright Star monitoring. It makes manually focussing on stars very easy
I never knew that :headbang: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I never new that :headbang: :ROFLMAO:

Not all of them have it. The Riii has bright 'something' which allows you to see in the dark as such for composition, but as soon as you magnify in to manual focus it will switch off.

tbh, with magnify focusing isn't really as issue - unless using the 35GM, that is a pain to MF on stars. So sensitive.

Not all of them have it. The Riii has bright 'something' which allows you to see in the dark as such for composition, but as soon as you magnify in to manual focus it will switch off.

tbh, with magnify focusing isn't really as issue - unless using the 35GM, that is a pain to MF on stars. So sensitive.
Yep, not aware of what cameras have the feature so I said the cameras I have. It really makes it much easier to focus and compose in the dark

Back