The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

as per above quote lens rental guys "The most common ‘dusters’ among current lenses all happen to be primes that don’t zoom at all"
The recent tamron lenses are sealed at least ones for mirrorless. I don't think zooming will be cause it to be a dust pump.
been using lenses like 100-400mm and 24-105mm for a while now. No issues with dust.

That hasn't been my experience at all.

TBH I've never had an issue with other extending zooms, but with the 150-600mm you could actually hear and feel the suction it created :eek:I was going to send it back to Tamron for a free clean (I think it was almost an admission of the problem) but I got a decent trade in price so never bothered. It was especially odd as I thought that lens was supposed to be weather sealed, but if you saw how much dust it pulled in it didn't fill you with confidence. For what it's worth though it never affected image quality.

Funny enough Tamron offered me the same option with both of the gen 1 and gen 2 70-200 lenses. I ended up just selling them on as well.

I didn't have their 24-70 f/2.8 but I know a few people that did and they similar issues with it sucking in large clumps of dust and hairs. All of those were supposed to be weather sealed as well.

Every lens has dust inside but for some reason the Tamrons would suck in large clumps, have never had that with any of the other lenses I have had, other than a Samyang 45mm that arrived new and straight out of the box had large clumps.

I can sort of see how primes might attract more dust purely because prime users will change lenses more and the rear element will be exposed more often but I cant really think of any I have had that had issues other than the Samyang I mentioned above which was obviously a factory issue.

Last edited:
He says current lenses. So I take it he isn't talking primes from long back :)
I'm not sure about Canon EF and RF but I don't think many (if any) Nikon f-mount are weather sealed, I doubt Sony APS-C e-mount are, and numerous m4/3 primes aren't either ;)

Good reviews, on Amazon, for the genuine Sony charger as well, btw only £72 [emoji15]

To be fair the genuine charger does charge at a quicker rate than any of the third party options and I have tried a few. If you are charging a lot of batteries regularly like I do they are the best option.

Although I have now got 4 of the Sony chargers have often considered getting one of these but it's difficult to justify the cost for just a charger.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NPA-MQZ1K-Multi-Battery-Adaptor/dp/B072BWD87P7134Isu4EtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I can't see myself buying a V 35mm f1.2. Never say never but at the moment I can't see it.

I have the 40mm f1.2 which I've barely used since I got the 35mm f1.4 and the 50mm f2 apo. The 35mm f1.4 it's tiny and although it doesn't seem to have many fans I love it and I've used it a lot, it's mostly displaced my film area lenses. I'd possibly be interested in a similar 50mm. The 50mm f2 apo is an amazing lens and if they made a 35mm apo I would take a look at it.

So I might be interested in a 50mm similar to the 35mm f1.4 or a 35mm apo but this 35mm f1.2? I doubt it very much.

Is his Mrs the pretty lady in the vid with the rear the size of China?

That hasn't been my experience at all.

Funny enough Tamron offered me the same option with both of the gen 1 and gen 2 70-200 lenses. I ended up just selling them on as well.

I didn't have their 24-70 f/2.8 but I know a few people that did and they similar issues with it sucking in large clumps of dust and hairs. All of those were supposed to be weather sealed as well.

Every lens has dust inside but for some reason the Tamrons would suck in large clumps, have never had that with any of the other lenses I have had, other than a Samyang 45mm that arrived new and straight out of the box had large clumps.

I can sort of see how primes might attract more dust purely because prime users will change lenses more and the rear element will be exposed more often but I cant really think of any I have had that had issues other than the Samyang I mentioned above which was obviously a factory issue.

I don't think ive had a lens that didnt have dust over time, my Nikon 85 1.4G had a fair bit including one large piece as did my 70-200vr2(which was used a handful of times) but neither showed in images that I could see.
I think my 24-70 actually had the least and it was my most used lens and was extending.
I did hear that the 28-75 and 17-28 were both showing signs of sucking in dust, though I haven't checked mine.

I have seen a bunch of picture from him and I do like good majority of them. But good photographers don't always make great reviewers and vice versa ;)
Very true, he's also tried out and reviewed some Fuji bodies too :D :p

I don't think ive had a lens that didnt have dust over time, my Nikon 85 1.4G had a fair bit including one large piece as did my 70-200vr2(which was used a handful of times) but neither showed in images that I could see.
I think my 24-70 actually had the least and it was my most used lens and was extending.
I did hear that the 28-75 and 17-28 were both showing signs of sucking in dust, though I haven't checked mine.
I had the opposite with the Nikon’s, my 70-200mm had no dust inside and was used a lot, and one of my 24-70mm’s had some ‘normal’ dust in and then one large piece.

I don't worry too much about dust, not that any lens I have has a lot of it but many and maybe even most lenses will get a few specks in their lifetime.

Talking about lenses.

While looking for ND's the other day I had my whole Sony set out to clear the drawer, 20mm f1.8, 35mm f2.8, 35mm f1.8, 55mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 and it struck me that I've never had such technically good lenses before. Even the 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 is IMO a good example of the type. When I had Canon DSLR's I used to think I'd never need or want better lenses but today I have lenses that are technically better. The old Sigma 12-24mm and 50 and 85mm f1.4's were very nice though. We are spoilt these days :D

While I'm here... Just a few Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 pictures I was playing with this morning.

f1.4, Lamps and my shadow.
ZNQEapZ.jpg

f1.4, Surfs up mini golf.
B95BGRj.jpg

f11, Step away from the sliders!
WKZFecP.jpg

Maybe that’s just bad luck.

I had my Nikon 85 f1.4G for about 5 years and used it pretty much every couple of days during that time in a wide range of different locations with no issues at all. It was as clean as a whistle when I sold it.

My Nikon 24-70 had some dust inside but not big clumps like the Tamron.

I have those two Tamrons as well I haven’t noticed any issues yet. Although the 28-75 has hardly been used and the 17-28 we pretty much just use for the dancing at weddings.

Last edited:
Hong Kong Airport (a little quiet)
DSC00891 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Hong Kong Airport Smoking/Vaping area
DSC00887 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

West Kowloon Cultural District
DSC00816 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Tsim Sha Tsui Art Square
DSC00747-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Sunset from Ocean Terminal Deck
DSC00686 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Masked Laughingthrush (fluffed up)
DSC00623 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Causeway Bay
DSC00317 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

A misty HK Island from West Kowloon Cultural District
DSC00845 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Last edited:
Tonight we should have been in Lesvos for the Greek Easter celebrations. Your pictures are making me grumpy. :p

Tonight we should have been in Lesvos for the Greek Easter celebrations. Your pictures are making me grumpy. :p

So many people gutted about their holidays getting canceled, sorry mate(y)

They're making me grumpy now as since coming back to this nightmare in the UK all I wanna do is go back to Hong Kong.

So many people gutted about their holidays getting canceled, sorry mate(y)

They're making me grumpy now as since coming back to this nightmare in the UK all I wanna do is go back to Hong Kong.
I should have gone to Mexico at the end of March, I was gutted but now I think the refund will be far more useful,..... when it finally gets paid into my bank.

I should have gone to Mexico at the end of March, I was gutted but now I think the refund will be far more useful,..... when it finally gets paid into my bank.

Yeah we were lucky that China was the first place to be on the advisory so we got a refund weeks before it kicked of here.

Woman my wife works with had a villa in France I think it was for the whole family including some coming from Canada and they have refused to refund for it [emoji15] seem to be happening with a lot of them though.

Yeah we were lucky that China was the first place to be on the advisory so we got a refund weeks before it kicked of here.

Woman my wife works with had a villa in France I think it was for the whole family including some coming from Canada and they have refused to refund for it [emoji15] seem to be happening with a lot of them though.
Wow that really sucks, don’t they have a similar travel protection over there then?

To be fair the genuine charger does charge at a quicker rate than any of the third party options and I have tried a few. If you are charging a lot of batteries regularly like I do they are the best option.

Although I have now got 4 of the Sony chargers have often considered getting one of these but it's difficult to justify the cost for just a charger.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NPA-MQZ1K-Multi-Battery-Adaptor/dp/B072BWD87PView attachment 275465

Yeah I would get a genuine one if they were not so expensive!

Back