The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Has anybody got the Tamron 70-300 FE?

Seems a great price and a lighter option vs my Sigma 100-400. Considering the switch so interested to hear thoughts?

I was watching this the other day -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucyHXRT3Vz8

as you say seems like a great light cheap option for Sony. if you don't need the 400mm, probably worth giving it a try.
Want to give it a try myself but there aren't many or any available in the used market.

Last edited:

as you say seems like a great light cheap option for Sony. if you don't need the 400mm, probably worth giving it a try.
Want to give it a try myself but there aren't many or any available in the used market.

Yeah, looks not too bad in the reviews.

Might be worth just buying it new, only £500 this weekend:

Just had my vaccine and I feel like crap. No photo op for me until I get better
I’ll have a guess that you had the Oxford/Astrazeneca, seems 50/50 whether you get bad side effects or not?

I’ve got my second one (Pfizer) this Sunday, apparently symptoms are worse second time around for this one but I hardly had any with the first one so am hoping it still won’t be too bad.

Has anybody got the Tamron 70-300 FE?

Seems a great price and a lighter option vs my Sigma 100-400. Considering the switch so interested to hear thoughts?
If weight and price are more important than quality, focusing speed and focal length, go for it. If not, I'd stick with the Sigma.

I’ll have a guess that you had the Oxford/Astrazeneca, seems 50/50 whether you get bad side effects or not?

I’ve got my second one (Pfizer) this Sunday, apparently symptoms are worse second time around for this one but I hardly had any with the first one so am hoping it still won’t be too bad.
I had the Pfizer, MrsL the Astra. Neither of us hardy northerners had any side-effects whatsoever. Awaiting our seconds. :D

If weight and price are more important than quality, focusing speed and focal length, go for it. If not, I'd stick with the Sigma.

When you put it like that, probably stick with the Sigma for now!

I had the Pfizer, MrsL the Astra. Neither of us hardy northerners had any side-effects whatsoever. Awaiting our seconds. :D

second dose is apparently worst than first.
My mum certainly had some tiredness from the second one.

but of course every person is different, so everyone will react differently. Its better for to you take it with a positive attitude (y)

Last edited:
second dose is apparently worst than first.
My mum certainly had some tiredness from the second one.

but of course every person is different, so everyone will react differently. Its better for to you take it with a positive attitude (y)
Yes, I’m not counting my chickens yet. Though a lot of our friends and neighbours have already had their seconds, of both, and none have reported side effects. Fingers crossed!

PS you’re right about positive attitude. I approached my Prostate cancer last year with an attitude of fascination, not dread, and I’m completely clear now. :banana:

Last edited:
I had my camera with me yesterday and was driving back from a cemetery when I noticed some people going into a public space with big gates which I thought was a park. It was actually an estate called Forty Hall. Got some nice photos.

'Forty Hall Estate, a grand Jacobean Hall including the site of the Tudor Palace of Elsyng.'

Forty Hall 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Forty Hall 1
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Cedar of Lebanon. Recognised as one of the Great Trees of London, it's believed the celebrated Enfield botanist Dr. Robert Uvedale (1642-1722) planted this Cedar of Lebanon, 'Cedrus libani'. At around 350 years old, this special tree is reputed to be one of the oldest surviving examples of its kind in Britain.

Forty Hall Cedar of Lebanon
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

By the lake.

Forty Hall duck
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Forty Hall across the lake later in the afternoon.

Forty Hall 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

I wish they'd gone for something like 100-300 f5 or f5.6 fixed aperture, but I suppose they had to pair this with their 28-70 rather than the Sony 24-105.

I wish they'd gone for something like 100-300 f5 or f5.6 fixed aperture, but I suppose they had to pair this with their 28-70 rather than the Sony 24-105.

I do wonder why no one bothers making a small 100-300mm anymore. The Minolta 100-300APO was nice. I am sure with all the improvement in optics something like that is possible.

I do wonder why no one bothers making a small 100-300mm anymore. The Minolta 100-300APO was nice. I am sure with all the improvement in optics something like that is possible.

I've been keeping my eyes open for one at a sensible (say <£100) price - perhaps I should look again on usedlens. *edit* just found one, but with a ding on the front of the extending turret..

Last edited:
I've been keeping my eyes open for one at a sensible (say <£100) price - perhaps I should look again on usedlens. *edit* just found one, but with a ding on the front of the extending turret..
Last one I bought I paid £95 for it. It was in really good condition too.
I'll ping you if I find another

I often take pictures of things I stop to look at and sometimes when I look at the pictures on the PC I wonder why I took them but I often hold off on deleting to see if after a few days I see again that something that prompted me to take it.

So, I nearly deleted this one but after looking at it a few times it's now becoming a picture I quite like. This wont be to everyones taste but hey-ho. A7 and the usual Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and No.4 close up filter. Again DoF is an issue when the camera is so close to the thing.

b8s6b6i.jpg

Last edited:
Accuweather was 4% cloud cover this morning. I think they were about 96% wrong....... :rolleyes: :facepalm:
We are cloudless - and swarming with people making the most of it. Don’t blame them, but the litter they leave behind ...

Can't quite make up mind tbh, there isn't a lot between them if you are just looking at image quality.
20G is a tad smaller plus wider. Since I have the 35GM made more sense to me to try a 20mm prime but I won't be using it much I think hence the sale.

Overall they are all excellent lenses and can't go wrong with any of them. Just use whatever floats you boat.
Just ignore him :LOL:
Everyone else thinks the 20mm is a fantastic lens....

So impressed with the 35GM after using it extensively at yesterdays wedding.

I knew it was good after using for a couple of things, but you never know just how good until you have used it for work. Ridiculous lens.

I got out today in the lovely sun to a country estate and I'm also very happy with this lens. Such a light setup and the images look great, I'm hoping they turn out good on the big screen. I was shooting at 1/8000 and even 1/10000+ so I'm glad I've got the electronic shutter to allow me to keep going at 1.4

I had my camera with me yesterday and was driving back from a cemetery when I noticed some people going into a public space with big gates which I thought was a park. It was actually an estate called Forty Hall. Got some nice photos.

'Forty Hall Estate, a grand Jacobean Hall including the site of the Tudor Palace of Elsyng.'

Forty Hall 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Forty Hall 1
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Cedar of Lebanon. Recognised as one of the Great Trees of London, it's believed the celebrated Enfield botanist Dr. Robert Uvedale (1642-1722) planted this Cedar of Lebanon, 'Cedrus libani'. At around 350 years old, this special tree is reputed to be one of the oldest surviving examples of its kind in Britain.

Forty Hall Cedar of Lebanon
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

By the lake.

Forty Hall duck
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Forty Hall across the lake later in the afternoon.

Forty Hall 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr
That tree's cool (y)

Last edited:
I got out today in the lovely sun to a country estate and I'm also very happy with this lens. Such a light setup and the images look great, I'm hoping they turn out good on the big screen. I was shooting at 1/8000 and even 1/10000+ so I'm glad I've got the electronic shutter to allow me to keep going at 1.4

At points yesterday I had to use faster shutter speeds than that, amazing isn’t it?

You will be blown away once you get to look at the full res.

Back