The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

An actual Sony image rather than video footage form the drone which is what it's been from me lately!!

Shot on the A7 in a typical landscape style with the 35GM at f/1.4 ;)

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Nice, lovely light.

Someone is selling an A7II which is fair enough, but they're also selling a Sony mount Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 too. They don't crop up too often. As some may sort of remember I have one of those and I think I must have posted about a million pictures taken with it :D The rendering is wild at the wider apertures but it tames on stopping down and the extreme corners are never more than mushy but it has its charms and is still on of my favourite things.

On the rumor site...

I don't really agree that it looks like a Voigtlander. It's a lens and it's black and it has an aperture ring at the front end and if that's the criteria for looking like a Voigtlander then I suppose it does. But not to me :D
The more lenses for E mount the better. Got to be one of the best things about Sony with their open source mounts.

So this is an Announcement about the Announcement of an Announcement? :LOL:

Yes. It's all very exciting isn't it?

At some point my A7 will I suppose stop working and I do like reading about new stuff just in case I need to buy something or just for the interest. The plastic on my A7 is bubbling and loose around the card slot door but I have a half case on it so that helps. Generally though I'm just not having the time or opportunity to go out with a camera and the most I can usually manage now is to take a camera with me when I/we walk to the shops or get a walk on the beach when one of my cars is in the garage getting attention. I have thought about selling most of my stuff but I never get round to it and end up buying more :D

Yes. It's all very exciting isn't it?

At some point my A7 will I suppose stop working and I do like reading about new stuff just in case I need to buy something or just for the interest. The plastic on my A7 is bubbling and loose around the card slot door but I have a half case on it so that helps. Generally though I'm just not having the time or opportunity to go out with a camera and the most I can usually manage now is to take a camera with me when I/we walk to the shops or get a walk on the beach when one of my cars is in the garage getting attention. I have thought about selling most of my stuff but I never get round to it and end up buying more :D
Well the announcement is that it’s rumoured Sony will announce the A7RV on 26th October. Unless it has blackout free shooting and the drive dial from the A9/A1 I have no interest in it. I think those features are highly unlikely.

Well the announcement is that it’s rumoured Sony will announce the A7RV on 26th October. Unless it has blackout free shooting and the drive dial from the A9/A1 I have no interest in it. I think those features are highly unlikely.

As this will I suppose be a high mp count camera I wonder if they'll be able to do blackout free?

I wonder if it'll have a tilting or fully articulated screen? Either way some will be annoyed :D

It’s likely to be just under £4K and still won’t make the tea or wash my car so I’m not interested either

Definitely don't miss the drive dial.
Kinda miss the blackout free shooting but it's not end of the world.
I'd personally take A7IV over A9/ii. The latest AF, better sensor/IQ, extra customisable dial, camera not locking up with buffer clearing, faster write speeds etc are all worth it over the blackout free shooting IMO.

Last edited:
I'd personally take A7IV over A9/ii. The latest AF, better sensor/IQ, extra customisable dial, camera not locking up with buffer clearing, faster write speeds etc are all worth it over the blackout free shooting IMO.

I would be the absolute opposite A7IV a.f isn't as good as the A9 series cameras for me in real life situations, with fast moving subjects it isn't even close. I am quite disappointed in the A7IV a.f performance with faster moving subjects so much so we don't even use them for confetti runs etc. as it just isn't reliable as the A9 series cameras, which isn't great when the subjects aren't even really moving that fast, A9/A9II has a much higher hit rate in these situations.

I would also take the blackout free over the extra res all day long. The ability to use the e shutter for pretty much everything is a huge advantage over the A7IV for me.

Also hate the A7IV flippy screen with a passion as well.

I kind of regret getting the A7IV's a bit now, they aren't much of an upgrade over the A7III for our use. The only advantage really they have offered is getting rid of some cameras that had very high shutter counts and were a bit knackered for some new ones.

We still have one A7III that has quite a low shutter count, I probably won't even bother changing it now as I can't really see any advantage in doing so.

Last edited:
Yep each to their own. The drive dial/focus mode dial are a big deal for me, I use it a lot and it saves having to use menus to change. Blackout free shooting is also a big benefit for me, especially panning. The A9ii doesn't lock up whilst the buffer's clearing (y)

Yep each to their own. The drive dial/focus mode dial are a big deal for me, I use it a lot and it saves having to use menus to change. Blackout free shooting is also a big benefit for me, especially panning. The A9ii doesn't lock up whilst the buffer's clearing (y)
I have never had that either.

Stacked sensor was the main reason I went for another A9 when returning to Sony, even with the extra resolution of the IV the blackout shooting is a real bonus when shooting birds in flight.

My Canon R7 is coming next week and I'm in 2 minds whether to open it or just stick it on Ebay as the sensor readout speed is slow even by older mirrorless standards, I have seen some really bad examples of rolling shutter taken with them.

Stacked sensor was the main reason I went for another A9 when returning to Sony, even with the extra resolution of the IV the blackout shooting is a real bonus when shooting birds in flight.

My Canon R7 is coming next week and I'm in 2 minds whether to open it or just stick it on Ebay as the sensor readout speed is slow even by older mirrorless standards, I have seen some really bad examples of rolling shutter taken with them.
I shoot birds too and better AF and IQ beats blackout free shooting at least for me anyway.

Interesting views from people on the A7III v IV v A9x cameras.

As I may have droned on about at length 100 times before :D one thing that catches my eye in the review specs is that DR doesn't seem to have moved on much if at all and I do worry about the ocd in me noticing this if/when my A7 has to be replaced.

Plenty of people shooting all sorts of fast moving stuff on the A7IV without any issues.

Comparing my A9 images to A7 IV there’s a noticeable improvement in IQ and contrast with the A7 IV.

Plenty of people shooting all sorts of fast moving stuff on the A7IV without any issues.

Comparing my A9 images to A7 IV there’s a noticeable improvement in IQ and contrast with the A7 IV.
yep and also dynamic range

I switched from A1 to A7IV not expecting to be shooting action much. On the off change I found myself out with the 70-350mm and I must say I was impressed with A7IV. Not quite on level of A1 but I wasn't disappointed either with my swap.

52306020368_28f93a8555_b.jpg

52295514347_a524e776e6_b.jpg

52296502983_1d8878a11a_b.jpg

I don’t think there’s really anything to be gained from enhancing the eels arse any further with more resolution lol

As I can't get out and take pictures at the mo I've been looking at old pictures and reprocessing them, just for fun and something to do. One thing that has surprised me is the file sizes from older much lower resolution kit. I have to remind myself that the A3 prints I have were taken with these cameras and what matters is the final image size and viewing.

Pixel peeping is hard to resist though and I do understand why people need more resolution for cropping.

Interesting, is that mainly down to the newer processor do you think? (plus the A9's relatively low DR)

Interesting, is that mainly down to the newer processor do you think? (plus the A9's relatively low DR)
AF must be really something as I rarely miss anything with the a9, it still blows me away every time I use it.

Suppose that maybe something to do with me using Pentax for 12 years though ......
yep down to having the new processor and also new AF algorithms for animals/birds that's filtered down from A1.
Apart from A1, A7IV is the only Sony body with the latest animal/bird eyeAF that works across various species.

yep down to having the new processor and also new AF algorithms for animals/birds that's filtered down from A1.
Apart from A1, A7IV is the only Sony body with the latest animal/bird eyeAF that works across various species.
Pretty sure A7C has the latest as well, I know it's ahead of the A7m3.

Edit: apparently it's the same as used in the A9m2.

Last edited:
Back