The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

New toys are nice, but I don't really need any more lenses right now.

Bet something comes along now that really appeals. :rolleyes:

I was abroad recently, took my 70-350mm which worked really well but crop mode only gives 14mp. Just wish Sony would release a updated APS-C body :(

Going again in December but not sure what I'll be shooting which makes it really hard to plan.

Buying and selling lenses is the way of life now :LOL:
I sit there for ages planning what i'm going to shoot on holiday then find once i'm there I don't bother, whether it's carrying a bag in the heat that puts me off I don't know but the camera spends more time in the safe than anywhere else.

I sit there for ages planning what i'm going to shoot on holiday then find once i'm there I don't bother, whether it's carrying a bag in the heat that puts me off I don't know but the camera spends more time in the safe than anywhere else.
That sounds like me with my older bigger cameras. Since going small I always have it with me on holiday, along with a bottle of water and sun cream. With the A7R that all fitted in a 5l bag. Now with the A7C I think it will all fit in a 3l bag.

I've got the Sony 20mm f1.8 as well, is the Tamron is good enough could see me selling the Sony.

I've been thinking the same. I bought my 20mm because to had one years ago and liked it and I'd really like to go on a cruise to see the northern lights one day but other than that it'll only get used a few times a year. All this zoom is really missing is the wide aperture a prime gives you and I think f2.8 will be enough for what I want with todays better high ISO performance. I'll have to think as it looks good and with a 35mm f1.8 and the tiny 35mm f2.8 which I don't think I can ever sell will cover most of my wants and needs. I usually prefer primes though as I know where to stand and with the zoom there's that extra bit of fiddling... :D

Same kinda happens to me if I travel with just primes.
I don't like changing lenses too often, so I just try to make do with whatever lens in on the camera.
This is why I like zooms like 24-105 or 28-200mm.
I also like the look of 50-400mm but I keep wondering if I'll ever take out while out and about in cities etc.

I'm also considering just keep my FF for primes and buying a RX10iv for its zoom.

Last edited:
Same kinda happens to me if I travel with just primes.
I don't like changing lenses too often, so I just try to make do with whatever lens in on the camera.
This is why I like zooms like 24-105 or 28-200mm.
I also like the look of 50-400mm but I keep wondering if I'll ever take out while out and about in cities etc.

I'm also considering just keep my FF for primes and buying a RX10iv for its zoom.
Leica Q2 keeps calling me but I can't really justify one and and my other kit and it would restrict me on paid jobs.

Leica Q2 keeps calling me but I can't really justify one and and my other kit and it would restrict me on paid jobs.
It really sucks at zooming ;)
Also for price of one of those I can probably hire someone locally to carry my gear for me. Like a golf caddie but for me camera gear instead.

not sure its purely RF style because it could just be A7 style body without the EVF hump because it has no viewfinder.

But I still believe RF style bodies can have forefinger dial and Sony are being annoying by not adding one.

Just bought a Fuji x100 and they have front and back dials and it's fine

I can't imagine going somewhere and planning my shots, unless it's a well-mapped photographic trip. I'd pretty much always want a bag with 24-105, a fast prime, an ultra-wide zoom and maybe a compact 'stadnard' lens like a 35 f2.8.

I can't imagine going somewhere and planning my shots, unless it's a well-mapped photographic trip. I'd pretty much always want a bag with 24-105, a fast prime, an ultra-wide zoom and maybe a compact 'stadnard' lens like a 35 f2.8.
Planning was probably too strong a description. ie. I knew i'd be going to Rhodes Old Town, took the camera with the intention of taking shots of the stunning architecture and doing some street and just didn't feel inspired, took about a dozen shots all day and nothing worth keeping.

I can hop on a train to London and shoot all day long, hard to explain really.

I can’t be bothered to carry that much gear most of the time. If I’m going out on a walk, or on travels visiting a city etc then I usually just take one lens.

I can’t be bothered to carry that much gear most of the time. If I’m going out on a walk, or on travels visiting a city etc then I usually just take one lens.
I’m so gutted I visited Murcia without my camera. Damn Ryanair and their greedy baggage policy. Gutted

If I go for a local walk then usually it's somewhere I've been many times and I'll take a single lens to make me work the kit. But when we travel somewhere new - Morocco, Israel, Canada etc - then the bag just goes over my shoulder because there's little likelihood we'll ever be in the same place again.

I’m so gutted I visited Murcia without my camera. Damn Ryanair and their greedy baggage policy. Gutted

Couldn't you take a small bag onboard? Last couple of times I've been abroad I took my Billingham Hadley Pro Small. Failing that I'd risk a small camera in hold baggage.

Couldn't you take a small bag onboard? Last couple of times I've been abroad I took my Billingham Hadley Pro Small. Failing that I'd risk a small camera in hold baggage.
I think Ryanair you have to pay for everything including carry on.
Camera in the pocket would be the only free way.
They're charge for using the toilet if they could.

I think Ryanair you have to pay for everything including carry on.
Camera in the pocket would be the only free way.
They're charge for using the toilet if they could.

Oh dear. I've never used them or anyone like them. If I had too then I'd wear a coat (assuming they don't charge for that) and put one of my Panasonic RF style cameras in a pocket.

Oh dear. I've never used them or anyone like them. If I had too then I'd wear a coat (assuming they don't charge for that) and put one of my Panasonic RF style cameras in a pocket.
That's what I'd do, fold up bag in one pocket, camera in another a lens. Then when you can take it all out and put it in the bag.
Though I wouldn't go with Ryanair so a moot point.

That's what I'd do, fold up bag in one pocket, camera in another a lens. Then when you can take it all out and put it in the bag.
Though I wouldn't go with Ryanair so a moot point.
I normally wouldn’t fly Ryanair either but it was the only easy way to get to Murcia airport instead of Alicante. Maybe next time I would get away with squeezing my camera into the now tiny carry on allowance

I flew to Portugal a few weeks ago with Ryanair. I paid for priority boarding which allowed me to take a small case which went in the overhead locker and my retrospective 7 camera bag which fitted under the seat in front.

I flew to Portugal a few weeks ago with Ryanair. I paid for priority boarding which allowed me to take a small case which went in the overhead locker and my retrospective 7 camera bag which fitted under the seat in front.
I should maybe have done that actually. I ended up paying for 10kg hold luggage and was afraid taking my laptop and camera in my under seat bag would be too much

Hi guys. On my Sigma 18-50 f2.8 DC DN Contemporary
lens hood, a tiny piece of plastic has broken on the inside but it prevents the hood from locking. The only replacement I can find is this one.

Was just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere to buy cheaper aftermarket lens hoods and if they're usually any good, or if I should just go ahead and get this original one?

Without wishing to derail a 'photography' thread. I did read about some of the Welsh reservoirs, which are the same size (volume) as built even though they are now supplying a much greater demand because of the population/town growth further down in the Valleys. So yes, whilst some reasoning can be down to drier summers etc they are also 'draining' quicker & faster for that reason too.
Elan valley was mega low a few weeks ago, and they were draining/letting water out at spectacular rate like it was a rainy season

If I go for a local walk then usually it's somewhere I've been many times and I'll take a single lens to make me work the kit. But when we travel somewhere new - Morocco, Israel, Canada etc - then the bag just goes over my shoulder because there's little likelihood we'll ever be in the same place again.
Yeah I sometimes take 2 or 3 lenses on holiday but only tend to take one out at a time. I don't want to miss an opportunity either but I don't want to be carrying a bulky heavy-ish bag around a city etc with me so I try to choose a lens that will suit all potential shots. It's tended to be a 24-70mm type lens, but of course there are the times I wish I'd had wider.

Last edited:
I've just bought something :D

It's not a car. It's not a piece of HiFi. It's not a watch. It's certainly not a smartphone :D

Last edited:
I've just bought something :D

It's not a car. It's not a piece of HiFi. It's not a watch. It's certainly not a smartphone :D
Camera related?

I had a Margarita pizza yesterday and a cheesy garlic bread pizza type thing today and I'm stuffed :D

Yes, it's photography related and I'll reveal all and post some pictures soon :D
Another bag :LOL:

All good picture Dan. In these worrying times its nice to see people enjoying themselves so the smiles in 4, 5 and 6 are nice to see :D

In these worrying times

it's probably the guys not playing golf who are most concerned, we took on a lodger six months ago to buffer ourselves - the income is now paying for new high BTU radiators downstairs so that we can be warm this winter, the underfloor heating is NOT going on.

Back