The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I’ve got this wedding coming up this weekend that I mentioned a while back, just informal shots. What would you folk in the know use a minimum shutter speed (thinking indoor in less than favourable light)?

1/125th indoors usually for me.
Oh, one other thing do you bother with facial recognition or do you find it more of a hinderance such as picking out the bride when you're actually wanting to focus on the groom or bridesmaids or something?

Oh, one other thing do you bother with facial recognition or do you find it more of a hinderance such as picking out the bride when you're actually wanting to focus on the groom or bridesmaids or something?

Yeah don’t use that deffo more of a hindrance than a help.

Had a borrow of a z9 with the pf 500 Last week to compare to the sony a7iv. Af seems a tad quicker than than the Sony the updated firmware seems to have improved the af . Took a lot of comparison Shots between the Sony 200-600 and the nikon and couldnt see any difference in Sharpness between the two . Which surprised me as i always thought the pf was sharper . I was thinking about swapping to a z8 and the pf 500 but not sure now

Had a borrow of a z9 with the pf 500 Last week to compare to the sony a7iv. Af seems a tad quicker than than the Sony the updated firmware seems to have improved the af . Took a lot of comparison Shots between the Sony 200-600 and the nikon and couldnt see any difference in Sharpness between the two . Which surprised me as i always thought the pf was sharper . I was thinking about swapping to a z8 and the pf 500 but not sure now
Mav, how did the tracking compare? Plus I'd check out the Nikon 400f4.5 (y)

Have you handled the Z8? I really didn't like it, felt very cumbersome in the hand. YMMV.

Is it possible to set a minimum shutter speed so it doesn't drop below this? I know there's min shutter speed standard > fast > faster etc but that sets the shutter speed based on focal length of the lens and not an actual value.

It's part of auto ISO
Thanks, just found it. I didn't realise you could scroll down the left hand side to select shutter speeds I just saw the big with slow, standard, fast etc :facepalm: That's great, now I know my shutter won't go below 1/125 so I can use A priority without worry (y)

Thanks, just found it. I didn't realise you could scroll down the left hand side to select shutter speeds I just saw the big with slow, standard, fast etc :facepalm: That's great, now I know my shutter won't go below 1/125 so I can use A priority without worry (y)

Auto ISO and minimum shutter speed is how I pretty much always shoot unless tripod mounted! (y)

Lovely sunny and warm weather here. I've been tied to home today but I could go out this evening. I'll think about it.

Not for me. Had Tuesday & Wednesday off this week. Went to see the Foo Fighters on Tuesday in Cardiff. Wednesday afternoon felt a bit off & sore throat, same Thursday back in work. Been to a concert, I expect 75,000 people had sore throats so didn't take much notice. High temperature this morning and that old friend Covid has found me.....

I was tired of being indoors so I went for an evening trip. Anyone know where I went? :D

A7 and Sony 40mm f2.5.

Boats.

DSC06523.JPG

DSC06524.JPG

Got it yet? A give away...

DSC06526.JPG

The grass at the side of the steps up to the vantage point is a bit overgrown and I imagine it'd be a bit treacherous if it's wet.

DSC06532.JPG

The view out to sea.

DSC06553.JPG

Helpful information.

DSC06567.JPG

I thought I'd stop at Saltburn on the way home but I missed the sunset by just a couple of minutes,

DSC06568.JPG

I seemed popular today, everyone I passed seemed to want to chat.

Last edited:
I was tired of being indoors so I went for an evening trip. Anyone know where I went? :D

A7 and Sony 40mm f2.5.

Boats.

View attachment 427224

View attachment 427225

View attachment 427226

The grass at the side of the steps up to the vantage point is a bit overgrown and I imagine it'd be a bit treacherous if it's wet.

View attachment 427227

The view out to sea.

View attachment 427228

Helpful information.

View attachment 427229

I thought I'd stop at Saltburn on the way home but I missed the sunset by just a couple of minutes,

View attachment 427230

Lovely Alan :)

Sorry but this made me lol.

You only found this now :ROFLMAO:

A7 and Sony 40mm f2.5.

Boats.

View attachment 427224

View attachment 427225

View attachment 427226

View attachment 427227

The view out to sea.

View attachment 427228

Helpful information.

View attachment 427229

View attachment 427230

We've a few places along your coastline pencilled in if we have a UK honeymoon 'tour' next year :)

We've a few places along your coastline pencilled in if we have a UK honeymoon 'tour' next year :)

There are some lovely places in the North East and along the Yorkshire coast but of them all I think Saltburn is one of the best. It can be easily overlooked but I think it is worth a visit.

Back