The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I took a selection of test shots, most not interesting to share, and some of family that I don't wish to share, but if there's a particular sort of deficiency you see in your sigma you're interested in, let me know and I'll see if I have something similar?

Thanks for taking the time. (y) I've only used the Sigma a couple of times - it was free so I can hardly complain, but OTOH it just lacks resolving power, contrast, clarity. I have just one image online taken using it, but it took a lot of work to get the suck out of it.

Rousham hall-02489
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

I’m having a real first world problem deciding on lens choices. As some may remember I bought the 16-35mm f/2.8 GM II a while back but returned it as it was decentered, Panamoz wouldn’t offer an exchange so Ive just kept using the 16-35mm f/4 ZA which I’ve been happy with on the whole.

However, thanks to the unexpected opportunity of the Northern Lights last week and realising I don’t really have a suitable wide lens for it I’ve been mulling over my wide angle options again.

Over the last few months I’ve been giving serious consideration to the 16-35mm PZ due to it being lightweight and optically very good , however not great for astro if I ever decide to do this or happen to stumble on the northern lights again. So that brought the GM II back into the equation, however yesterday I started giving thoughts to the 16-25mm f2.8.

Initially I dismissed this due to the focal range but then I’ve been thinking if I use it in crop mode on the A7R V it’s 37.5mm and still 26mp. Of course if I used the 16-35mm in crop mode it would give 52.5mm BUT it’s heavier and twice the cost of the 16-25mm (grey prices). I can’t decide whether the extra cost and weight of the GM II is worth it for the extra 10mm :thinking:

I’ve also looked at the Sigma 16-28mm but the extra 3mm over the 16-25mm is not worth the lack of aperture ring for me.

Sorry for the ramblings, kinda just thinking out loud, but if anyone wants to share an opinion I’d be happy to hear it (y)

I’m having a real first world problem deciding on lens choices. As some may remember I bought the 16-35mm f/2.8 GM II a while back but returned it as it was decentered, Panamoz wouldn’t offer an exchange so Ive just kept using the 16-35mm f/4 ZA which I’ve been happy with on the whole.

However, thanks to the unexpected opportunity of the Northern Lights last week and realising I don’t really have a suitable wide lens for it I’ve been mulling over my wide angle options again.

Over the last few months I’ve been giving serious consideration to the 16-35mm PZ due to it being lightweight and optically very good , however not great for astro if I ever decide to do this or happen to stumble on the northern lights again. So that brought the GM II back into the equation, however yesterday I started giving thoughts to the 16-25mm f2.8.

Initially I dismissed this due to the focal range but then I’ve been thinking if I use it in crop mode on the A7R V it’s 37.5mm and still 26mp. Of course if I used the 16-35mm in crop mode it would give 52.5mm BUT it’s heavier and twice the cost of the 16-25mm (grey prices). I can’t decide whether the extra cost and weight of the GM II is worth it for the extra 10mm :thinking:

I’ve also looked at the Sigma 16-28mm but the extra 3mm over the 16-25mm is not worth the lack of aperture ring for me.

Sorry for the ramblings, kinda just thinking out loud, but if anyone wants to share an opinion I’d be happy to hear it (y)

20G :)

As per Lee's suggestion I'd also suggest a prime lens.
Plenty good options available for most price points, I have personally owned and used
14GM, viltrox 16mm, Sony 20G, samyang 24mm f1.8, Sony 24GM - all of them incredibly good and capable better than any f2.8 zoom for astro.

I have actually shot auroras handheld thanks to wide aperture and A7RV IBIS. I have gotten shot I'd have otherwise missed with a zoom.

Last edited:

The FLA is large with this post.

Plenty good options available for most price points, I have personally owned and used
14GM, viltrox 16mm, Sony 20G, samyang 24mm f1.8, Sony 24GM - all of them incredibly good and capable better than any f2.8 zoom for astro.

I have actually shot auroras handheld thanks to wide aperture and A7RV IBIS. I have gotten shot I'd have otherwise missed with a zoom.

The FLA is small with these posts

The FLA is large with this post.

The FLA is small with these posts

I'm not looking at primes as it'd primarily be a landscape lens, I just thought as I'm looking if I could also get one that could do astro should the want or opportunity arise it would make sense rather than getting another f/4 (y)

David what's FLA?

Focal Length Anxiety
I learnt a new acronym today :D

I'm not looking at primes as it'd primarily be a landscape lens, I just thought as I'm looking if I could also get one that could do astro should the want or opportunity arise it would make sense rather than getting another f/4 (y)

David what's FLA?

If I had to buy a f2.8 zoom I'd get the GMii. The rest are not so useful IMO.

May be sigma 14-24mm if you can find a good copy and don't care for circular filters.

Might be worth considering sigma 16-28mm to i guess.

With 16-25G and tamron 17-28mm the long end is pretty much a 1.5x crop of the short end which could do on A7RV. At which point I rather buy a prime and crop.

Last edited:
I learnt a new acronym today :D

If I had to buy a f2.8 zoom I'd get the GMii. The rest are not so useful IMO.

May be sigma 14-24mm if you can find a good copy and don't care for circular filters.

Might be worth considering sigma 16-28mm to i guess.

With 16-25G and tamron 17-28mm the long end is pretty much a 1.5x crop of the short end which could do on A7RV. At which point I rather buy a prime and crop.
Interesting thought. I ruled out the Sigma above (y)

This is my indecisiveness:-

16-35mm f/2.8 GM II £1449 and 547g

16-25mm f/2.8 G £779 and 409g

I'm in no rush so will sit on it for a while, if I decided on the GM II I'd not be able to afford that yet anyway (y)

Interesting thought. I ruled out the Sigma above (y)

This is my indecisiveness:-

16-35mm f/2.8 GM II £1449 and 547g

16-25mm f/2.8 G £779 and 409g

I'm in no rush so will sit on it for a while, if I decided on the GM II I'd not be able to afford that yet anyway (y)
If you are happy with the size of 16-35Z, the GMII isn't a much bigger or heavier. So you are already used to the size.

The money is certainly a consideration. That's for you to work out.

If you are happy with the size of 16-35Z, the GMII isn't a much bigger or heavier. So you are already used to the size.

The money is certainly a consideration. That's for you to work out.
Well I've been 'happy' with the weight of the 16-35mm ZA but I'm always looking to go lighter, hence been looking at the 16-35mm PZ for a while. I've ruled that out for definite though as I've been using the 10-20mm PZ for the past two outings and I'm not a fan of the power zoom.

On another subject I read on another forum that you can set Sony cameras to reset exp comp when you turn the camera off but they've omitted it on the A7R V which seems a very strange decision considering the dial has no markings on it :thinking:

A quick question to those who know :- Does the Samyang 35mm f2.8 lens require the latest firmware for use on a Sony A7Cii - and if so, how easy is it to update Samyang firmware? Many thanks in advance

A quick question to those who know :- Does the Samyang 35mm f2.8 lens require the latest firmware for use on a Sony A7Cii - and if so, how easy is it to update Samyang firmware? Many thanks in advance
I don't know about the compatibility but to update the lens you need the samyang dock.

I have a few Samyang lenses all of them shipped with the original firmware and had to be updated to work with my newer bodies. If their is a firmware update available for that lens it will definitely need updated to work with the A7CII all of my Samyang lenses did although I don't have that particular lens. Without the firmware update none of my Samyang lenses would focus properly on the A7CII.

Some would say its a bit of con by Samyang into forcing you into buying the dock....

If you have the dock it is relatively straight forward.

Last edited:
Off topic but does anyone on here follow BSB? What a final day of racing, some of the best I've ever seen :cool:

I don't know about the compatibility but to update the lens you need the samyang dock.
I have a few Samyang lenses all of them shipped with the original firmware and had to be updated to work with my newer bodies. If their is a firmware update available for that lens it will definitely need updated to work with the A7CII all of my Samyang lenses did although I don't have that particular lens. Without the firmware update none of my Samyang lenses would focus properly on the A7CII.

Some would say its a bit of con by Samyang into forcing you into buying the dock....

If you have the dock it is relatively straight forward.
Many thanks guys - that's confirmed what I'd heard. I may need to rethink this.
Cheers

Many thanks guys - that's confirmed what I'd heard. I may need to rethink this.
Cheers
The docks are only around £30 used (y)

I got my 35/2.8 used and it came with a new enough firmware to work fine on my Cii. That said I still updated it anyway. Same with my 35-150.

My 75mm would only AF-S till I updated it.

So maybe buy used but ask the seller first which version? Or buy from somewhere that takes returns.

Last edited:
Has anyone using the newer bodies the A9III, A7R5 and the A1 had the battery drain issues that seems to be a thing mentioned a lot on the Facebook groups at the moment? Apparently although the camera is switched if it continues draining power at an accelerated rate. Some are blaming it on recent firmware update's.

Not had it with my A9III. Apparently camera and battery’s gets very hot and may be a fire hazard. :oops: :$

Has anyone using the newer bodies the A9III, A7R5 and the A1 had the battery drain issues that seems to be a thing mentioned a lot on the Facebook groups at the moment? Apparently although the camera is switched if it continues draining power at an accelerated rate. Some are blaming it on recent firmware update's.

Not had it with my A9III. Apparently camera and battery’s gets very hot and may be a fire hazard. :oops: :$

Not had the issue but also not on the latest firmware. I give a month before updating.
Given Sony's recent troubles with firmware I might wait like 3 months!

I've seen this mentioned a few times on FB, I've not had an issue myself but have just updated the A7R V this morning so will keep an eye out.

Not had an issue on the A1 with either 1.32 or 2.02 firmware but i take the battery out anyhow when not going to be used and regards battery life when used it's the same as before but i have always used in airplane mode silent shutter and the evf is off unless i press the control wheel.

Oooh be interested how you find that Viltrox, I stayed strong and resisted ordering one as I don't really like 28s, but the size is appealing on the C body.

Oooh be interested how you find that Viltrox, I stayed strong and resisted ordering one as I don't really like 28s, but the size is appealing on the C body.
Could be a while before I even get round to using it. Lost interest lately and haven't been out with a camera for weeks.
The early bird price was too good to pass on though and my thought is that at some point I will get another "c" body instead of the A7RIV

I've seen a number of reviews now showing that the bokeh of the new 85mm f1.4 GM II isn't as smooth as the Sigma DG DN but has better contrast. I think I'd choose the smoother bokeh as you can always adjust contrast in post.

I've seen a number of reviews now showing that the bokeh of the new 85mm f1.4 GM II isn't as smooth as the Sigma DG DN but has better contrast. I think I'd choose the smoother bokeh as you can always adjust contrast in post.
Colours from the Sigma are horrible though. It ain’t that fast either. I will be ditching the Sigma for the new G.M at some point. I actually prefer the old G.M to the Sigma I really regret changing.

Colours from the Sigma are horrible though. It ain’t that fast either. I will be ditching the Sigma for the new G.M at some point. I actually prefer the old G.M to the Sigma I really regret changing.
I don't agree the colours from the Sigma are horrible, but of course these things are all personal. I've never had an issue with speed, but it doesn't track as well as GM lenses. I understand for professional work you're best having something that's 100% reliable, and produces colours that are similar to the rest of your lenses, but for me I can just choose on which I prefer the rendering of and not worry too much about the rest (y)

Odly I can't find the reveiws where it showed the bokeh of the GM II not being as soft or nice as the Sigma, however I've just watched Manny's and he couldn't see much in it. I'll continue to find the other reviews that I looked at, sadly it's not on my history as I was wathcing it on my iPad and I wasn't logged in to my account.

I think even if Sony do bring out an 85mm f1.2 it'll be ruled out for me on weight alone (not to mention price) based on the GM II, I did think the GM II would be lighter.

Some lenses seem to be criticised for having less contrast but as you say it's an easy thing to adjust post capture and I'm sure I remember a time when lenses with a little less contrast were sort after, or maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I've certainly bought lenses because they have a less contrasty look straight out of the camera. I suppose a higher contrast picture might be more desirable if you're shooting lots of jpegs and don't intend to process the pictures but for anyone shooting raw and processing pictures I think having less contrast straight out of camera might be preferrable to having a bucket full of contrast as that might not suit every subject and use.

Odly I can't find the reveiws where it showed the bokeh of the GM II not being as soft or nice as the Sigma, however I've just watched Manny's and he couldn't see much in it. I'll continue to find the other reviews that I looked at, sadly it's not on my history as I was wathcing it on my iPad and I wasn't logged in to my account.

I think even if Sony do bring out an 85mm f1.2 it'll be ruled out for me on weight alone (not to mention price) based on the GM II, I did think the GM II would be lighter.

I like him.

Back