The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Buffer, image review, general low light AF focus. Just found the experiance slow and frustrating!

Buffer and image review is annoying, true.

Low light AF on A7RII is fairly decent with fast lenses. I wouldn't says its as good as D750 but I found its the first Sony mirrorless body with reliable decent AF-C and low-light AF performance. So I'd imagine A7R3 is only better...

Low light AF on A7RII is fairly decent with fast lenses. I wouldn't says its as good as D750 but I found its the first Sony mirrorless body with reliable decent AF-C and low-light AF performance. So I'd imagine A7R3 is only better...
Correct..... Sony got their bodies right in terms of pricing and segmentation etc..... great choice for people! :)

Last edited:
A7II v III noise comparison...

https://admiringlight.com/blog/sony-a7-iii-vs-a7-ii-noise-comparison/

"Conclusion
The A7 III is a very interesting camera release from Sony, and a solid upgrade from the A7 II in many ways, which I will go into depth in my review. One of those upgrades is low-light sensor performance, and it definitely plays out in this test. The A7 III is a bit better at medium ISOs, and around 2/3 of a stop to 1 stop better at higher ISOs, with the lead expanding as you get into extreme settings. This isn’t a revolutionary change, but given the high quality of the A7 II, it’s a very nice upgrade, and makes the A7 III a better camera for lower light shooting. Be sure to come back for my full in-depth review of the A7 III in the next week or two!"

That's nice :D

Last edited:

I have been using the A7R3 with 70-200 2.8 and Nikon D750 with 70-200 2.8e and the D750 is definatly ahead when it comes to initial focus and tracking. But the 2.8e is a step up speed wise from the VRII so probably makes a difference too.

The A73 is probably a better camera from anything CAF/sports related due to the MP (if you cant high roll it with an A9 lol).

I is a shame however that I did not enjoy Sony handling (without a grip) or Sony Menus!

Last edited:
A7II v III noise comparison...

https://admiringlight.com/blog/sony-a7-iii-vs-a7-ii-noise-comparison/

"Conclusion
The A7 III is a very interesting camera release from Sony, and a solid upgrade from the A7 II in many ways, which I will go into depth in my review. One of those upgrades is low-light sensor performance, and it definitely plays out in this test. The A7 III is a bit better at medium ISOs, and around 2/3 of a stop to 1 stop better at higher ISOs, with the lead expanding as you get into extreme settings. This isn’t a revolutionary change, but given the high quality of the A7 II, it’s a very nice upgrade, and makes the A7 III a better camera for lower light shooting. Be sure to come back for my full in-depth review of the A7 III in the next week or two!"

Yes, impressive, looks about 1 1/2 stops better than the original A7.

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 10.29.56.png

I have been using the A7R3 with 70-200 2.8 and Nikon D750 with 70-200 2.8e and the D750 is definatly ahead when it comes to initial focus and tracking. But the 2.8e is a step up speed wise from the VRII so probably makes a difference too.

The A73 is probably a better camera from anything CAF/sports related due to the MP (if you cant high roll it with an A9 lol).

I is a shame however that I did not enjoy Sony handling (without a grip) or Sony Menus!

I thought you didnt get an A7r3?

@snerkler Should've bought an A7riii
Tried it, too many negatives for me (y)

Trouble is the high MP does really slow the A7R3 down compared to the A73. If I got on with Sony I would choose the A73 over the A7R3. But thats just what I have concluded from testing the A7R3 alongside my D750 so just assuming would get the same sort of outcome from the A73.

Buffer, image review, general low light AF focus. Just found the experiance slow and frustrating!
Most reviews from people that have both say in the real world the AF performance between the A7Riii and A7iii are pretty much identical. Of course, I haven't tried the A7iii to be able to confirm.

Most reviews from people that have both say in the real world the AF performance between the A7Riii and A7iii are pretty much identical. Of course, I haven't tried the A7iii to be able to confirm.

even if they are identical A7III will have a better frame coverage which would make it better ;)

even if they are identical A7III will have a better frame coverage which would make it better ;)
Yeah, if you need to compose your subject against the edge of the frame for some reason then I guess so ;)

There's already an A7III firmware update, for blinking pixels and other things...

The rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-firmware-update-for-the-sony-a7iii/#disqus_thread

They say...

"Benefits and improvements
– Resolves a “blinking pixels” phenomenon at the bottom edge of the image during XAVC S 4K (PAL 25p) recording (depending on the combination of camera settings)
– Resolves an issue where the touch panel could occasionally become unresponsive
– Improves the overall stability of the camera"

Last edited:
Apparently Panamoz expect stock of the A73 "in about a fortnight with pricing being between £1800-£1900"

Makes sense the price won't be low, to much demand, I saw HK price is £1650, and US is £1550 inc 10% sales tax. The greys Ive seen come in at between £1800 and £2300.

The Wilkinson deal was a no brainer considering its UK stock and came with additional 3yr warranty.

There's already an A7III firmware update, for blinking pixels and other things...

The rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-firmware-update-for-the-sony-a7iii/#disqus_thread

They say...

– Resolves a “blinking pixels” phenomenon at the bottom edge of the image during XAVC S 4K (PAL 25p) recording (depending on the combination of camera settings)
– Resolves an issue where the touch panel could occasionally become unresponsive

Nice, thanks woof. 1 of 2 issues sorted by FW update already. Seems Sonys on the case!

The rumor site...

They say...

That's cool, I've got no issue with them recognising a potential issue and rectifying it. Would be nice if they made a comment about the striping, but maybe they will when they figure it out (y)

Yeah, if you need to compose your subject against the edge of the frame for some reason then I guess so ;)

Its not so much for composing towards the edge of the frame. If you are tracking (erratic) action its not uncommon for the subject to sometimes move out of the centre area. In which case your camera doesn't lose the subject focus and compensates better which results in more keeper since as long as you can keep the subject in the wide frame you have it in focus unlike having just the centre part of the frame doing the tracking.

Last edited:
Its not so much for composing towards the edge of the frame. If you are tracking (erratic) action its not uncommon for the subject to sometimes move out of the centre area. In which case your camera doesn't lose the subject focus and compensates better which results in more keeper since as long as you can keep the subject in the wide frame you have it in focus unlike having just the centre part of the frame doing the tracking.

Yes, if the subject enters the frame it will track right from edge to edge as it passes through the frame, more hits, better tracking.

@twist any initial thoughts on your Sony A7 III ? :)

I managed to plug it in so far.... felt really nice in the hand though. Impressed by the build, the charging port covers are questionable but Im sure they are fine as they click in place firmly.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the A7 III is built like the A9 as that has a full magnesium body, the A7 III uses a plastic / hybrid rear with magnesium for the front.

didn't say A9 said A7RIII which I suppose also has magnesium body. Plus I wasn't talking about the body build, was referring to the flaps :p

My comment was tongue in cheek ;)

Back