The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You mean a Panasonic LX100?

Funny they had one too but the Leica was cheaper.

It was both used and the Leica was in better condition. The only reason i wanted it was the label I admit and it was £350 with a case.

I wouldn’t use it, money better spent on a Samsung 35/2.8 if I want compact.

Last edited:
Anyone used extension tubes with the 2470 GM? Was getting some decent insect shots earlier but just not quite close enough so wondering how tubes would perform

Sorry to barge in with a question but can I ask people what their settings are for portraits on the A7iii? I've been mainly using Eye-AF or at least AF-ON to focus when in general but today the AF-ON button was completely unresponsive (either in AF-A or AF-C) using the Samyang 50mm (autofocus version). I even tried manual focus which didn't seem a lot better. I switched to my other lens (also Samyang, but the 35mm f/2.8) and straight away it was focusing without a problem, which makes me think it's the lens as I've had more problems using it with shots in focus.

But not being a regular photographer and being new to Sony I'm worried it might be user error. I've watched a few videos on YouTube of various people going through their settings so I'm not doing anything too crazy or wrong I think (and I am keeping my Eye-AF or AF-ON pressed down when pressing the shutter-release which I hadn't been doing before) but sometimes it won't let me take the photo (even though I have it set up for 'Balanced Emphasis) since the focus didn't move at all.

Is it the lens or is something off with the camera? Or is it me :(

Sorry to barge in with a question but can I ask people what their settings are for portraits on the A7iii? I've been mainly using Eye-AF or at least AF-ON to focus when in general but today the AF-ON button was completely unresponsive (either in AF-A or AF-C) using the Samyang 50mm (autofocus version). I even tried manual focus which didn't seem a lot better. I switched to my other lens (also Samyang, but the 35mm f/2.8) and straight away it was focusing without a problem, which makes me think it's the lens as I've had more problems using it with shots in focus.

But not being a regular photographer and being new to Sony I'm worried it might be user error. I've watched a few videos on YouTube of various people going through their settings so I'm not doing anything too crazy or wrong I think (and I am keeping my Eye-AF or AF-ON pressed down when pressing the shutter-release which I hadn't been doing before) but sometimes it won't let me take the photo (even though I have it set up for 'Balanced Emphasis) since the focus didn't move at all.

Is it the lens or is something off with the camera? Or is it me :(

Is your shutter set to focus alongside your af on? Turn off shutter focus.

The 85 Art is easily the sharpest and most accurate lens I think ive used.

Not a single missed shot today !

More so than the 55mm 1.8? I tend to shoot 90% of a wedding day with that one lens now and don't recall any OOF shots (a7RII). Had a major confetti tunnel today, no idea how it hung on to the couple through it.

I often forget I've got AF lenses for my A7.

Just found another lovely old manual lens... it's the last I'm going to buy (this week.) :D

Weird, maybe lens just froze. Did you try it again after switching to the 35?
I did later on and it seemed fine (ironically in worse light!). Not sure what changed. Why would it freeze though - camera issue or lens issue? Or hard to tell?

More so than the 55mm 1.8? I tend to shoot 90% of a wedding day with that one lens now and don't recall any OOF shots (a7RII). Had a major confetti tunnel today, no idea how it hung on to the couple through it.

Sharper. No CA and superior bokeh.

Albeit far far bigger lol

I did later on and it seemed fine (ironically in worse light!). Not sure what changed. Why would it freeze though - camera issue or lens issue? Or hard to tell?

Could be either. I doubt you'll diagnose which untless it happens a lot more frequently.

Just waiting for my Sigma 35mm lenses to arrive and then I'm fully Sony. There'll be a veritable bonanza of my Nikon stuff hitting the classifieds soon - already some friends have been staking claim on some of our best bits.

Will be sad to see some of it go, tbh. The D750 is still an incredible camera but as time goes by I just want to carry less and less weight on long wedding shoots. As good as the A7iii will be for pros, its arrival will also mean many great second-hand bargains for CaNikon shooters, I imagine.

A 35mm f1.8 please :D

YES!

I may just about have room in my life for a 35mm f1.8 if it's nice and compact and if it focuses ok.

I was thinking maybe a RX1, redone so the Leica doesn't kick its bottom quite so badly :D

Or maybe a top end APS-C body?

Who knows... :D

Last edited:
YES!

I may just about have room in my life for a 35mm f1.8 if it's nice and compact and if it focuses ok.

I was thinking maybe a RX1, redone so the Leica doesn't kick its bottom quite so badly :D

Or maybe a top end APS-C body?

Who knows... :D

I have come love my big lump of glass i.e. FE35/1.4 would be sad to see it go :(

RX1RM2 is as good as leica :p

You'd sell a 35mm f1.4 for a compact 35mm f1.8?

This is a couple of months old but some might not have seen it, "5 Reasons Why You Should CONSIDER f/1.8 Lenses OVER f/1.4 Lenses"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGzZBymyuds&t=181s

I have seen the video and I think I disagreed on most of the points :D

Regardless yes I'd consider selling my 35mm/1.4 for a compact 35mm/1.8. Though I will probably wait till I can find a used one at a good price rather than buying it outright.

My worries are that...

1. We wont get a compact 35mm f1.8 anytime soon.
And on that subject why is it that manufacturers often wait so long to bring out what is to many the most obvious things?
2. If and when we do get one its focus will be pants.

I waited for the 50mm f2.8 macro to come out and when it did and I got one the focus on my A7 was so unreliable it was unusable.

Time will tell.

I think I agreed with most of the video.

well first point is probably true unless a 3rd party manufacturer jumps in and sort's it out which could happen, I am more hopeful now with tamron, tokina, samyang in the race and sigma promising FE specific lenses.

If sony or any one else does make one I don't think focus will be bad. Only FE 50/1.8 is particularly bad and by your account FE50 macro. The rest of the lenses inc. 'budget+compact' FE28 and FE85 are blazing fast and accurate.

Been away for the weekend and brought the Tamron 28-75 with me but struggling with dire weather and rubbish connectivity.

Been able to take a few shots though and pretty impressed with the Tamron, especially considering the price.

Tamron 28-75 @ 75mm f8.0 by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Flower Bokeh Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RXD by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Shetland Pony - Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RXD by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Alpaca - Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RX by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

My money is on some kind of camcorder or action cam thingy. If so I have no interest.

Back