The Grand Tour (Clarkson, May & Hammond)

Ford GT is a global car and orders were accepted from around the world. Plus it is built in Canada so it isn't really American.
All Nissan's are Japanese, regardless of where they are actually made, and all Ford's are American. And wherever the orders come from, it doesn't alter the nationality of the manufacturer. ;) :LOL:

All Nissan's are Japanese, regardless of where they are actually made, and all Ford's are American. And wherever the orders come from, it doesn't alter the nationality of the manufacturer. ;) :LOL:
Henry Ford was of Irish/English decent, his father was born in County Cork Ireland, and his family originally came from Somerset, England. Ford are a multi national company. Hence Ford USA , Ford South America, Ford Europe and Ford Asia Pacific.

Last edited:
All Nissan's are Japanese, regardless of where they are actually made

Even though the largest shareholder of Nissan is a French car maker?

I think Nissan, Ford etc are known as multi-nationals for a reason...

Just don't say that in sunderland, who are very proud of the cars they make, nor in Swindon about Hondas, or Oxford about Mini's...
I'm sure they are/were, but they were building them for foreign companies. ;)

Henry Ford was of Irish/English decent, his father was born in County Cork Ireland, and his family originally came from Somerset, England. Ford are a multi national company. Hence Ford USA , Ford South America, Ford Europe and Ford Asia Pacific.
Henry Ford may have had all those links to different countries, but as far as know, he founded the company in America. The are an American multinational company. :) Would you say that Nikon are a UK, USA or European company, because they have all those arms of their Japan originated company. :thinking: ;)

Even though the largest shareholder of Nissan is a French car maker?

I think Nissan, Ford etc are known as multi-nationals for a reason...
And Nissan were founded in Japan, again, as far as I know. They may be part, or fully owned by a company from another country, but they are a Japanese company making Japanese cars, possibly in other countries, but they are Japanese imho. :)

But apart from all that I don't see how the last episode was a giant advert for American products. :thinking:

I'm sure they are/were, but they were building them for foreign companies. ;)

Henry Ford may have had all those links to different countries, but as far as know, he founded the company in America. The are an American multinational company. :) Would you say that Nikon are a UK, USA or European company, because they have all those arms of their Japan originated company. :thinking: ;)

And Nissan were founded in Japan, again, as far as I know. They may be part, or fully owned by a company from another country, but they are a Japanese company making Japanese cars, possibly in other countries, but they are Japanese imho. :)
But not all Ford cars are American, it is only in recent years that they have started to sell European cars in America and American cars in Europe, they have had European Ford cars and Australian Ford cars for more years of their manufacturing history than not.
If Nikon and Nissan do something similar then yes they are not necessarily a Japanese company, but if they are building and selling the exact same products as they do in Japan, then no it's just a case of having a manufacturing facility somewhere else in the world outside Japan.

But not all Ford cars are American, it is only in recent years that they have started to sell European cars in America and American cars in Europe, they have had European Ford cars and Australian Ford cars for more years of their manufacturing history than not.
If Nikon and Nissan do something similar then yes they are not necessarily a Japanese company, but if they are building and selling the exact same products as they do in Japan, then no it's just a case of having a manufacturing facility somewhere else in the world outside Japan.

Just to try and curtail the tangent, ;)
What is a Multinational Corporation? An enterprise operating in several countries but managed from one (home) country. Generally, any company or group that derives a quarter of its revenue from operations outside of its home country is considered a multinational corporation.
I think the main thing is that they have a home country, which I am taking as the companies original 'nationality'. If you don't, that's fine. :)

Last edited:

Nissan vans are made in Luton - Vauxhall vivaros with Nissan badges; also in French built-Movanos can be bought with Nissan badges. not japanese at all.

Nissan have another British connection - in common with BMW - their first cars were based on the Austin 7

Just to try and curtail the tangent, ;) I think the main thing is that they have a home country, which I am taking as the companies original 'nationality'. If you don't, that's fine. :)
The 'home' country will be the one that the ultimate parent company is incorporated in.

I thought this week's episode was OK. I like the taking the p*** out of Hammond's accident. They made the fastest car in the world seem quite boring. :rolleyes: I liked the office workers racing, though Clarkson didn't seem enthusiastic after the item. Maybe because he had nothing to do with it. Their racing was still more exciting than the 'stars' racing each other. And the the two 'stars' going head to head had another American I didn't know. :thinking: I thought the Kia looked quite good.

I thought Clarkson’s piece on the Chiron was excellent. That’s the kind of thing he does best.

Reactions: BBR
No they were English, then American and now French.

Aren’t all the Vauxhall over essentially renamed as Buick in the states? Or vice VErsa - we branded them as Vauxhall? I recall seeing a Buick that looked nigh on identical to the Insignia. A quick Wikipedia supports this, all the popular ones here are Buick’s there - cascade, insignia, mokka etc

Aren’t all the Vauxhall over essentially renamed as Buick in the states? Or vice VErsa - we branded them as Vauxhall? I recall seeing a Buick that looked nigh on identical to the Insignia. A quick Wikipedia supports this, all the popular ones here are Buick’s there - cascade, insignia, mokka etc
No idea about Vauxhall cars being sold as Buicks in America. They are sold in the rest of Europe as Opel though. The only GM cars sold in the UK were just rebadged Daewoos. I believe they stopped selling them a year or two ago.

No idea about Vauxhall cars being sold as Buicks in America. They are sold in the rest of Europe as Opel though. The only GM cars sold in the UK were just rebadged Daewoos. I believe they stopped selling them a year or two ago.

Hmm these defineilty look the same as the vast majority of Vauxhall cars.. http://www.buick.com

The Encore is identical to the Mokka and the Regal is definitely the Insignia..

As I was up at 5 am with my little one, I decided to put some cartoons for her, as she seemed to prefer to use my iPad I thought I'd have a look at the latest series of this as it was sat there on the front page of Amazon.

Well, all I can say is that it is just more of the same self indulgent rubbish. It's such a shame that the superb production and scenery is spoilt by 3 egos and the need to try to force comedy moments and over exaggerate everything, Maybe I am just getting old, but I fid the whole thing childish in the extreme. I guess it was naive pf me to think that there would be anything really interesting about the actual cars, Suffice to say I won't be watching it again.

As I was up at 5 am with my little one, I decided to put some cartoons for her, as she seemed to prefer to use my iPad I thought I'd have a look at the latest series of this as it was sat there on the front page of Amazon.

Well, all I can say is that it is just more of the same self indulgent rubbish. It's such a shame that the superb production and scenery is spoilt by 3 egos and the need to try to force comedy moments and over exaggerate everything, Maybe I am just getting old, but I fid the whole thing childish in the extreme. I guess it was naive pf me to think that there would be anything really interesting about the actual cars, Suffice to say I won't be watching it again.

Its an entertainment programme using cars as the underlining 'vehicle' for the premise. It's why as a format they sell hugely across the world. If you expected a full blown review of a vehicle, comparing detailed specifications etc then I suggest you watch some of the video bloggers (some of who are now presenting top gear), someone like Smee, or read the reviews in the magazines.

Its an entertainment programme using cars as the underlining 'vehicle' for the premise. It's why as a format they sell hugely across the world. If you expected a full blown review of a vehicle, comparing detailed specifications etc then I suggest you watch some of the video bloggers (some of who are now presenting top gear), someone like Smee, or read the reviews in the magazines.
I'm aware that it is supposed to be an entertainment programme. I just don't find it entertaining. :)

I'm aware that it is supposed to be an entertainment programme. I just don't find it entertaining. :)

"I guess it was naive pf me to think that there would be anything really interesting about the actual cars,

The comment above is why I said it's an entertainment show, which has been hugely successful for Amazon, helped get people sign up for it's Prime service, most watched show on it's streaming service, so it works for a lot of people who enjoy that formula.
Even Top Gear didn't change the fomula with a whole new crew and presenters as it was their biggest money earner, with many local shows following the same format. Ever seen top gear Aussie? Even the german version had similar silly japes.
Mostly it promotes the cars in a positive light, which is why they get given them to put on the show. The production values and cinematography standards have been kept, which is interesting in itself for us that shoot vehicles, when we're not giggling

The comment above is why I said it's an entertainment show, which has been hugely successful for Amazon, helped get people sign up for it's Prime service, most watched show on it's streaming service, so it works for a lot of people who enjoy that formula.
Even Top Gear didn't change the fomula with a whole new crew and presenters as it was their biggest money earner, with many local shows following the same format. Ever seen top gear Aussie? Even the german version had similar silly japes.
Mostly it promotes the cars in a positive light, which is why they get given them to put on the show. The production values and cinematography standards have been kept, which is interesting in itself for us that shoot vehicles, when we're not giggling

As I said, I'm aware of the premise of the show, and have also seen many of the other versions over the years. I just hoped there may be a little more about the cars themselves, and less staged predictable and unfunny (in my opinion) drivel. I know it appeals to the masses, and as such I hope they enjoy it. I was merely stating that I had given it a go to see if it appeared to me, it doesn't, so I won't be watching it again. I'm sure no one else will care, but as this thread is to discuss the programme, I thought I'd give my opinion. :)

As I said, I'm aware of the premise of the show, and have also seen many of the other versions over the years. I just hoped there may be a little more about the cars themselves, and less staged predictable and unfunny (in my opinion) drivel. I know it appeals to the masses, and as such I hope they enjoy it. I was merely stating that I had given it a go to see if it appeared to me, it doesn't, so I won't be watching it again. I'm sure no one else will care, but as this thread is to discuss the programme, I thought I'd give my opinion. :)

LOL - your entitled to your opinion, not sure why you're feeling the need to push and justify it so much. You don't like it - fine, noted. Thanks for your comments.
Now as this is a discussion of the show and you've said you don't like it you don't need to contribute further as you won't be watching ;)

Out of interest, what do you drive?

My opinion is they tried to not make it a direct copy of top gear whilst retaining the overall feel and some of the popular features, the big travel features. They've cut out the celebrity death section, lost the stig replacement and got in Abbie Eaton, former Mazda MX-5 Supercup Champion, drives a Maserati in GT Championship and a brilliant instructor at Silverstone. I've been lucky to have her give me some pointers. Great move, they just need to promote her a little more.

Good move to give it a fixed home, Grand Tew Farm, cuts the costs of moving it all around. Do we know where the new Test track is? Old one was at Wroughton, which was great for me (very close to home). I've a feeling they've gone to Kemble? Looked familiar. I may go and have a nose in the new year when I'm checking on my car

LOL - your entitled to your opinion, not sure why you're feeling the need to push and justify it so much. You don't like it - fine, noted. Thanks for your comments.
Now as this is a discussion of the show and you've said you don't like it you don't need to contribute further as you won't be watching ;)

Out of interest, what do you drive?

I wasn't pushing anything, you wanted to start a discussion on why it was I didn't like it and suggest some alternatives for me. I merely said that I was aware of the tired old format, and that I wanted to give it another chance. I'm pleased you like it.

For what it's worth I drive an F80 M3.

Nice, the new ones have grown a little lardy, but the engine is brilliant. I guess thats what you get with modern cars and the toys.

It suits my needs, and handles better than the M5 I tested at the same time. It's been played with a bit and is remapped, full Akra and AC Schnitzer Coilovers fitted. Still can't get a decent sized buggy in the boot though. But for the money they take some beating.

It suits my needs, and handles better than the M5 I tested at the same time. It's been played with a bit and is remapped, full Akra and AC Schnitzer Coilovers fitted. Still can't get a decent sized buggy in the boot though. But for the money they take some beating.

Not leased then or under warranty? Should have got an Alpina D3 touring to fit the buggy in :)

If I was in that market I'd look at the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio :D

Not leased then or under warranty? Should have got an Alpina D3 touring to fit the buggy in :)

If I was in that market I'd look at the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio :D
I paid cash for the car, it is still under warranty apart from the engine side if BMW detect the map. The other mods are approved by BMW so no problems with any warranty work. I like the look of the Alfa but don't think I would risk the reliability of it, I actually didn't intend on buying the M3, and was in fact only going in to buy a bike! Much like when in 1986 when I went in for a headlight bulb and came out with a new a new Astra GTE....

Did I mention the Alfa would be in red :D
overview-1_modelpage-giuliaquadrifoglio.jpg

So new TVR and one of these as the family car when I win the lottery :D

I've only seen one of smee's videos and that was one too many.

I've only seen one of smee's videos and that was one too many.
He does go into excruciating detail about the cars, generally buys them himself and so gives an owners view, which it sounded like rick wanted rather than entertainment, hence the suggestion

Back