The Property Photography thread

Hello TP,

I've been asked by a local Estate Agents if I would do some photos of some properties for them. I was a bit hesitant at first, but I've had a good think about it and after a chat with them regarding exactly what they are after, I thought I would say yes and see how the first property goes before taking it any further.

Now I'm mainly a sport photographer (give me outside in the rain any day over being in front of a computer) but think that this could help add a string to the bow and could help with a little extra income when needed.

So, I thought I would just pap a couple of shots of my house and get a little feedback from the chaps in here on what to change, improve on etc etc. No tidying of the room, just looking at getting the light, composition, height right.

Here are a couple of photos. Please let me know what you think, good and bad.

I used a Nikon D3s, Nikon 14-24 and SB 910. Shot on Manual.

Thanks in advance.

Seba

Just Spotted this thread. I run my own agency and take my own shots most of the time. I use a Canon 430 flash, bounced off the ceiling, and a second off camera flash sometimes.

These are some shots I took yesterday of a refurbished house in SW London

Last edited:

front_fused by bigtodski, on Flickr

sink run_fused by bigtodski, on Flickr

edit: changed pictures went back and redone the shots removed all clutter and switched lights on to remove reflections

i work for a kitchen / bathroom firm they have asked me to take some shots of our work,
above are 2 shots of my in laws kitchen they are 5 shots done in photomatrix i know the room is cluttered and i also just realized i had the stabilize setting on the lens.

also i need to learn how to remove the reflection in the glass.

what do you think of the final out put is it ok or do i go back to the day job.

cheers for looking

Last edited:
great thread, some good work in here. Property isn't my main line, but I have done a few, mainly for interior designers or, like Leigh, tile suppliers. Here are a few recent examples, not HDR, just normal exposures. I do actually really enjoy doing these and would like to do more over the next year or two. These possibly aren't the best examples from each, but easiest to grab links for. Will have a proper look for others later (y)

kitchen-design.jpg

interiors.jpg

businessphotography022.jpg

businessphotography033.jpg

canarywharf_after035.jpg

So, I thought I would just pap a couple of shots of my house and get a little feedback from the chaps in here on what to change, improve on etc etc. No tidying of the room, just looking at getting the light, composition, height right.

Hi Seba,

2 improvers for you:

Make sure your verticals are perfectly horizontal (if you can't get them perfect in camera and don't have a tilt-shift lens then you may have to resort to 'skew' in PS)

Try not to get any overexposed sky - a nice blue beats a white glare any day!!

Interesting thread, and some great photos :)

We're selling our house at the moment, and our agent has used "rules about being truthful" to excuse ***s poor photos, which make all our rooms look very dull and smaller than they really are. Are any of you property photographers aware of any relevant rules? I assume that as long as you don't misrepresent what you have (photoshop a swimming pool in/a massive crack out, or distort the room sizes dramatically), you'd be OK?

Cheers,

Mark

Back