The shameless bokeh thread

That Crow on the right has just melted (it gave me away too the s**t bag!!!) . . . My first ever deer capture, today !
Canon 300mm f2.8 AF IS USM ii @ f2.8 + Canon teleconverter 1.4x iii : So it's 420mm f4.0 @ f4.5 1/500s iso400 handheld + Crow alarm lol

Margam deer 07 07 2024 by Stephen, on Flickr

Dragonfly bokeh - "the force was with me" + near water - right light, right reflections and conditions

TP_dragon_bokeh.jpg

Last edited:
I put a 135mm Zeiss Sonnar on the Contarex then added a Proxar 0.2 close up filter. Film is Kodak Pro Image 100

Cx Bee on Flower 2 WEb.jpg

I have a hard time figuring out what a lot of photography terms actually mean and one was Bokeh. Think I finally got it figured out with this thread. Seems it's when the subject is in good focus and background blown out. I've done some of that with my dogs but found the best way to do it was in post processing. Found I could fool with the Highlights button, and it brought the dog in clearer and fuzzed out the background. Can't get my photo to load from the processing forum but that bee above is a perfect example. Well not the bee but the weed head. Boka pretty much gets rid of distractions.

Last edited:
I have a hard time figuring out what a lot of photography terms actually mean and one was Bokeh. Think I finally got it figured out with this thread. Seems it's when the subject is in good focus and background blown out. I've done some of that with my dogs but found the best way to do it was in post processing. Found I could fool with the Highlights button, and it brought the dog in clearer and fuzzed out the background. Can't get my photo to load from the processing forum but that bee above is a perfect example. Well not the bee but the weed head. Boka pretty much gets rid of distractions.

I think strictly speaking, bokeh is supposed to be out of focus lights or specular highlights/sparkles; an out of focus background (or foreground) without that isn't actually bokeh, but lots of people (me included) still call it that.

That Crow on the right has just melted (it gave me away too the s**t bag!!!) . . . My first ever deer capture, today !
Canon 300mm f2.8 AF IS USM ii @ f2.8 + Canon teleconverter 1.4x iii : So it's 420mm f4.0 @ f4.5 1/500s iso400 handheld + Crow alarm lol

If you mean the 'crow' in the picture....that is a swallow or a swift!

I'm not seeing any evidence of bokeh in this photo....unless my understanding of bokeh is completely wrong, which is quite possible!!!

OED definition 'Blurring or hazing in the out-of-focus areas of a photographic image; this as an artistic or visual effect, esp. as rendered by a particular lens'

Telecentric lenses are a bit of an extreme choice, but have you tried them? They're essentially the opposite of bokeh, rendering everything in sharp focus without perspective distortion. Objects appear the same size regardless of distance, making them the ultimate anti-bokeh tool. However, to fully utilize their capabilities, the lens should ideally be as large as the subject matter.

Telecentric lenses are a bit of an extreme choice, but have you tried them? They're essentially the opposite of bokeh, rendering everything in sharp focus without perspective distortion. Objects appear the same size regardless of distance, making them the ultimate anti-bokeh tool. However, to fully utilize their capabilities, the lens should ideally be as large as the subject matter.
Not ideal for photos of cows then...

Back