Video Editor.

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've just gotten into video a touch with drone footage & some phone to go with it. Purely for personal pleasure.

I've been using VideoProc but find it pretty laggy in all honesty. It's workable but also doesn't have the ability to colour grade properly.

I don't really want the Adobe subscription Premiere Pro (?) & I'm on Windows 7 so Davinci is out the equation too.

I basically want something I can colour grade the shadows/highlights as I do my images and that will take 4K drone footage. Obviously we're only taking smaller (<1 minute) clips rather than 10 minute videos.

Loads of LUTS in VideoProc but they are all a bit.... Meh!

I'm using CyberLink PowerDirector 19. That runs on Windows 7. I got it as a standalone version as I don't like the subscription model. The latest is version 20 and it looks like it still runs on Windows 7 64 bit.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about wanting to avoid the Adobe subscription.
You can still buy outright Adobe Premiere Elements. Currently £86.
But I'm not sure it'll give you the colour grading options you want.

Is there any reason for not wanting to use Windows 10? That would allow you to run DaVinci.

I know what you mean about wanting to avoid the Adobe subscription.
You can still buy outright Adobe Premiere Elements. Currently £86.
But I'm not sure it'll give you the colour grading options you want.

Is there any reason for not wanting to use Windows 10? That would allow you to run DaVinci.

I'm not sure I can upgrade. And I'm not sure I'm confident in an 'upgrade' tbh.

I have a few programs that are older and there's no application to install. I'm guessing I would lose everything and have to start afresh?

I'm not sure I can upgrade. And I'm not sure I'm confident in an 'upgrade' tbh.

I have a few programs that are older and there's no application to install. I'm guessing I would lose everything and have to start afresh?
Can you get a second HDD or SSD connected to the machine? If you can you can use this to make a clone and then try and upgrade the clone to win 10 and see how it all works. If it does not work as expected you revert to your original drive.

Can you get a second HDD or SSD connected to the machine? If you can you can use this to make a clone and then try and upgrade the clone to win 10 and see how it all works. If it does not work as expected you revert to your original drive.

If you're going down the route of adding a second hard drive, you could always create a dual-boot system.
Keep your Windows 7 drive and install Windows 10 as a second OS on the other drive just for using DaVinci.

If you are just going to test out Windows 10, you can install it without having to buy a licence, it'll run happily with a little watermark in the corner saying "activate Windows" for months. I've done this with a few systems I've tested out. (Obviously if you're going to keep Windows 10, then you should licence it properly ;) )

Back