Walking shoes recommendations

;)
Fair comment, must apologise as my words did seem rather curt in retrospect.

Many years ago I did some walking on Dartmoor in DM's, suffered badly afterwards with blisters and haven't forgiven them for that

No need im thick skinned ;)
Will admit after long perioids your feet start to suffer, have noticed more so as they have started to fall apart, hopefully the salomon 4ds will be a saviour (y)

I wear Salomon Quest 4D men boots for over a year and only wash it once... so far so good, walked for miles dawn to dusk no issue to my feet. No waterproofing issues and yet I was stepping in little stream for 15 minutes and no leakage... again as per the advises above, go to your local store and try out. Some shoes aren't fit to your feet ...

I also bought Salomon walking boots for £50.00 (RRP £130) bargain!! :)

But I still have my Merrells walking shoes and have been wearing them for 7 years now... except the sole is wearing out, the shoe is still going strong. I wanted to give up but it is very comfy so the Salomon shoe will be in the box for quite a while before seeing daylight... :)

I have a pair of Zamberlans that I bought about 20 years ago and they're still going strong. I don't do that much that needs them but they are super comfortable even after a long day walking etc.. Plenty warm enough for March in Iceland. Ended up with them after starting at the cheapest and working my way up to expensive then going back to the most comfortable. Unfortunately the shop they came from closed down after people started using them as a showroom for the web sellers. Lost the best camera shops in town to showroomers too.

Not sure if you've bought any yet but the best suggestion would be to go into store and try them out. It all depends on your own feet, everyone's different of course.

I once bought the salomon quest 4d 2 Gtx but soon returned them because they didn't feel right. I ended up getting some Scarpa R-evo Gtx which were amazing from the start. Had them about a year and have done a lot of miles in them, been through deep fords in the Lake District without wet feet. Through puddles and if the sea gets me when walking too close to the shore I'm safe. Keep them clean and proof them with Nikwax every few months.

My other half has recently been shopping for boots and bought Scarpa R evo pro Gtx on my recommendation. Took them back because they were too tight and bought Meindl Burma boots instead. In my opinion, Meindl seem the best quality boot out there. Fancy a pair of Vacum Gtx boots but can't justify it when they're not needed!

Don't forget go outdoors price match. Find them anywhere online cheaper and they'll beat by 10%. Saved loads of money in the past.

Enjoy!

Thanks for everyones comments. Really appreciate the reviews from people who have tried the various options mentioned. I do intend to go to a store, but was looking for some opinions in the first instance. I've bought shoes and boots from shops before after the staff there have raved about them and the fit being good, only for them to fall apart within a couple of months. Good to know of other experiences therefore to back up what feels comfortable and "appears" right at the time. I.e. If the 4d quest feel good and are recommended for me in store, I now know others on here have worn them in real life and that they should last a while. Thanks again, didnt expect so many responses.

If they feel good in store, buy them and wear them around the house for a few hours to see how they are. Then at least if you think they're not right you can return them.

Another thing is to use the ramp in store. Go up it and make sure your heels don't slip, almost try to make your heels slip to make sure that the boots are good enough to keep them in place when out and about. If they do slip a little bit there's different ways to lace them to keep your heel in place.

Then go down the slope making effort to hit your feet near the ends. Hopefully your toes won't hit the end and you have room in them.

Also if you normally wear thick boot socks, wear them when you go and try the boots on.

I always find Cotswold outdoor brilliant when it comes to boot fitting, they tend to be more expensive than other shops though.

I purchased a pair of Meindl Respond Mid XCR Boots yesterday. We're off to the Cairngorms in November, and I only have a pair of walking "trainers" and wanted something a bit more robust and warmer. These are a "midi" boot, I tried a couple of full length boots but I couldn't get on with them.

Cotswold Outdoor stores have a full measuring and fitting service, we were in store for around 30-40 minutes and the service was very good.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/meindl-mens-respond-mid-xcr-boot-b1134050?id_colour=123

Oboz Bridger low hiking shoes from Katmandu

Wore them everyday for 2 years, for work in a vineyard. comfortable and tough

I purchased a pair of Meindl Respond Mid XCR Boots yesterday. We're off to the Cairngorms in November, and I only have a pair of walking "trainers" and wanted something a bit more robust and warmer. These are a "midi" boot, I tried a couple of full length boots but I couldn't get on with them.

Cotswold Outdoor stores have a full measuring and fitting service, we were in store for around 30-40 minutes and the service was very good.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/meindl-mens-respond-mid-xcr-boot-b1134050?id_colour=123
Remember to wear them as much as possible between now and your holiday, preferably on some longer walks. The last thing you want is to be breaking in a pair of boots while on holiday :)

I've had the Salomon Quest 4d and they are extremely comfy. However, I tend to drag my heels a lot and managed to wear the heel down in just over 200 miles of walking. You can't get them resoled with the original grip but I took them to a cobblers who put a pair of Dunlop heels on for £20. Wasn't a bad job and they've seen me through another 100 miles so far. I've also got a pair of meindl softline gtx which I bought at the start of the year but am finding them very stiff compared to the Salomons. Like everyone else, I advise you go to a shop and try them on. The Salomons fit me very well as I have narrow heels and wide front foot. The meindls don't grip my heels very well so I have to tape my feet up if I wear them.

Forget brand recommendations. There is is only one real way forward and that is is to go and try on various shoes establish a few comfortable pairs, then look at specification and price. What brand / model works for one individual doesn't always work for another.

Well, as predicted my HiTec Eurotrek walking boots have failed after 10 month's use - but this time they have not just leaked but failed spectacularly. Believe me, I walk the dog about 2 miles a day and go on the occasional 5 to 6 mile walk and that's all the use they have had.

Boots_zpsqlyto1sv.jpg

I was away on a walking holiday in N Devon last week and was lucky to get through the week with these - Fortunately Amazon are being there usual helpful selves and refunding the purchase price but hey ho I will have to find a decent alternative for my size 13s

Back