WCMUT....what cheered me up today

My car insurance company wanted almost £1300.00 for my renewal - a £600.00 increase over last year. :eek:

Before arguing with them I checked with confused.com and got a quote from Tesco Bank for only £506.00.
Guess which one I opted for? :banana:

An added bonus - they doubled the car's value compared with the last company (Dial Direct) too. :cool:

This happens to me quite often but I can usually end up paying about the same. I suppose it happens to us all.

I've been looking for someone to come and valet three cars for me, an MX5, a Hyundai Getz and an Evoque. The first bloke failed to turn up so I rang him again and he failed to turn up again, both times without having the decency to call and say he wasn't coming. The next one I called didn't return my call and the next didn't want to work outside today.

The fourth company turned up when they said they would and are a father and son team. They seem to be very thorough and spent about two hours on the Getz and are now busy on the Evoque. The prices are reasonable too :D

As I may have said before a company/sole trader turning up on time and doing a good job for the agreed price shouldn't surprise us but these days I think too often it does.

PS.
He's just asked if I'd sell him one of my cars :D Sadly it's not for sale.
we're lucky, the guy who does ours lives over the road from us

My MX5 getting valeted. It's a big crop from a cctv screen capture so the quality isn't the best.

1-20240627134928876_2f7e3985b5344aaf9981718729acee6f_J59519934.jpg

It took 7 hours to do the three cars and they were quite thorough. He wanted to buy the Gets and MX5 off me :D

Last edited:
I suppose the best car line up I've had was a Lotus Elise, a MK1 MX5 and a 1967 MGB Roadster. These days I'm a bit more practical.

I've fought the mx5 fight several times. I've not beaten her yet! (And probably won't).

I lost the Ducati one as well come to think of it.:thinking:

The soft top MX-5s have a surprising amount of boot space but the retractable hard top eats into it a fair bit. Can still get enough in there for a weekend away for 2 though!

The soft top MX-5s have a surprising amount of boot space but the retractable hard top eats into it a fair bit. Can still get enough in there for a weekend away for 2 though!
The Saab 900 was great for transporting mattresses or other bulky items. With the back seat down you could drop in a full sized double mattress and still close the tailgate.

The Saab 900 was great for transporting mattresses or other bulky items. With the back seat down you could drop in a full sized double mattress and still close the tailgate.
And the low bumper made loading and unloading easy, and also great for putting on walking boots. Still miss mine after 30 years.

Wouldn't the windows get a bit steamed up with the tailgate closed?..... ;):D

My dad had a 900, the original one with a 2 litre engine. Great overtaking power. But I always wanted him to get the 900 Turbo in black and convertible. What a lovely looking car for its time.

1719570172930.png

I had a Saab 900 Taladega coupe. Loved it and it had the best tan/black leather trim I've seen outside of supercars.

PS wasn't black dash a great idea?

We had several Saabs: 99, 900, 2000 and finally a 9-3.

The latter was my wife's pride and joy for a few years but eventually the failures and subsequent repair bills mounted up, so it went the way of all metal...

Saab 9-3 front 5D CL7594.JPG

Today I spoke to a friend I haven't seen or spoken to for over 25 years. We've kept in touch the old fashioned way, by letter. We're meeting up next week for a drink and a feed.

We had several Saabs: 99, 900, 2000 and finally a 9-3.

The latter was my wife's pride and joy for a few years but eventually the failures and subsequent repair bills mounted up, so it went the way of all metal...

View attachment 427183
Another member of the Saab fan club - my Dad had 13 (99, 4 c900s, 9000, 2 x NG900, 2 x OG9-3, 2 9-5s and a NGG9-3SS). I am on my 4th, 99, 9-3 Aero, 9-5 aero and NG9-5 Aero.A82545E1-E702-4976-97E7-EE34C136AA88.JPEG

Last edited:
Seeing a brief video of a Buzzard perching on a swimming pool barrier post. The person thinks it's a juvenile from the nest behind the hotel we stay in on Crete - we didn't see any action on or near the nest while we were there recently but we might just have missed it!

Back