What will be your next photography related purchase? Or what photography gear do you lust after?

A Nikon Z9 but I think it will have to be a newer car before that.:(

Dreadful time to buy second hand cars - price has gone nuts. You'll get more for yours, but pay a lot more again for another so the net cost of change figure would be a lot more than say in 2020.

Great time to order a brand new car - pay list price and get more than you normally would for yours.

Is there much of a difference between GM and the replacement?
Yeah, I went for the 24-240 instead to slim my whole kit down and got rid of the 70-200 too, and whilst it's decent, it's not a patch on the GM's. Another reason for the Lumix switch, as going A7R4 would really have shown the 24-240 weaknesses with 61mp, so that would have needed replacing with 2 lenses, and about £4k on top of the A7R4.

In the last three months I have bought Sony 70-200 f2.8 GM MKII Sony 16-35 GM f2.8 and an A7iv. I will wait for the 24-70 f2.8mkii which i hope will be out soon. I may also get the 35GM to replace my 35 f1.8. Camera wise I buy one until the Sony A9MKIII comes out and only then as long as they do not give it to many pixels.

I appear to have bought a D300s.
Excellent camera - robust, and good in the hand. But it's crop frame, of course, which relates to the field of view of lenses you have - and you won't be able to dig stuff out of the shadows like you can with a modern full frame.

Excellent camera - robust, and good in the hand. But it's crop frame, of course, which relates to the field of view of lenses you have - and you won't be able to dig stuff out of the shadows like you can with a modern full frame.
I bought it as something I can leave set up for taking 'product' shots which don't have to be seen huge. The crop is quite handy for that, and using lights at base ISO it's proved ideal with either a 50mm or a 90mm macro. :)

I have just bought a reduced background stand from Lencarta
Is that for holding Reduced Backgrounds ? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Only joking- I have used Lencarta and they do have some great gear

Les :)

PS: my next purchase will be the Grip for the Sony a7Riv a tad expensive at £400 though

2 things I need but I can't find either on line or in bricks'n'mortar.

Patience and talent! Got plenty of flare, just not much flair.

OM are introducing their new "wow" camera next week. Might consider it if it delivers true wow. The leaks so far don't seem to achieve that.
Let us see.

OM are introducing their new "wow" camera next week. Might consider it if it delivers true wow. The leaks so far don't seem to achieve that.
Let us see.
I guess depends on what you are after.
The astro tracker feature may be really good.
The AF features might be really improved too and it's a stacked sensor so we might see full blackout free shooting.

Also "2 stop improvement low light with Quad Bayer Structure" sounds really impressive...

Last edited:
I guess depends on what you are after.
The astro tracker feature may be really good.
The AF features might be really improved too and it's a stacked sensor so we might see full blackout free shooting.

Also "2 stop improvement low light with Quad Bayer Structure" sounds really impressive...
According to one poster who has read the Japanese patent OM have filed for the astro-tracker it might not be what the western media think. It actually requires a alt/az mount to work and handles the image rotation using the inbuilt IBIS.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyxEuLa9wqc

According to one poster who has read the Japanese patent OM have filed for the astro-tracker it might not be what the western media think. It actually requires a alt/az mount to work and handles the image rotation using the inbuilt IBIS.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyxEuLa9wqc
I was expecting it to work like it does in Pentax K1.

I would expected Oly to be sightly better since the sensor is smaller which gives it some advantages.
And if low light performance is really 2 stops better that'd be truly amazing for astro photography

Honestly - really happy with my gear (for now).

The biggest purchase needs to be a place in the Pyrenees so I can be fully relocated in the place I love the most - whether I actually do it or can afford this is another matter but that's the once piece of the jigsaw left.

Last edited:
I need a new hat. I only have a beanie and it does not protect my WLF very well from either rain or sunlight.
I'm not sure a Sombrero is practical but a Fedora might be cool.

All I want is a simple point and click camera that does at least 720P HD video as well as shots.

That little Sony DSC-W800 I bought on eBay last year kind of does the trick but I'd like summat a bit more modern.

Well I just landed on my feet. John Lewis having a clear out of camera stuff and managed to bag myself the 40-150mm Lumix lens for £130 and I almost purchased one for £179 yesterday evening. I even had a spare 52 mm filter for it. That's made my day.

That's the travel kit sorted for Wales and Scotland now.

Last edited:
I paid £40 for a new lens for that Nikon D50 up at Harrison's last week, the price tag was £60 but the nice sales bloke let me have it for £50 as I'm a regular customer (I'm not knocking it but regular customer? I've been in about twice in the last 3 weeks lol)

There's nothing I particularly want or intend to buy, but I've just recieved about 30 cartons of my 'stuff' that's been in storage in South Africa for the last 10 years or so. It's mostly books, but there are other things too, including my old Nikon FM and a few F mount lenses. I bought the camera from an SA dealer back in the 90s and it seemed to be in good condition, but I never got round to using it very much before I moved to digital.

I think it's time to put a roll or two through the camera and see how they turn out, then I'll decide if it needs an immediate CLA.

Back