Zine Exchange VI: May - September 2023

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Anyone want to have another go?

Got a project on the go that you never finish?

Got a set of photos that tell a story?

Why not publish them in a Zine and share with a group on here?

This is a group project where all participants make a zine, then exchange it with everyone else taking part.

20230511-Screenshot 2023-05-11 160136.jpg

This challenge aims to get people printing and publishing their work. What you produce and how, is up to you.

What is a Zine? The word is a shortened form of the word magazine (or maybe fanzine?) and the product is a short, small format magazine - generally a small circulation, self-published work. For this challenge it is a collection of your photos edited together into a magazine or booklet format. Self-published does not necessarily mean self-printed, you can print yourself or you can send your work off to a printing service. For this group, a zine isn't just an album or portfolio of your favourite photos or pictures of your family, the aim is to put together a magazine with images that are the product of a project, or shot as a coherent set.

Sign-up, chat, banter, progress reports, questions and queries can all be posted in here.

You don't need to decide right now, there are a few of us who are committed to this so watch this thread, hang around, ask questions and start pulling together the content you might include, then when you are comfortable with that let us know.

Timeline:
May 2023 - August 2023 : You come up with an idea, take pictures and design your zine. You can even build it in your software of choice.
4th September 2023 : This week I will be asking people to formally commit to making their zine. You will have 7 days to PM me your name & address to confirm your commitment. I generally tag anyone who has registered an interest to remind them, so if you post on this thread that you might be interested, I can let you know closer to the time.
11th September 2023 : I will send out a PM to all confirmed participants with everyone's name & address as well as a confirmed amount of zines people need to print.
September/October 2023 : Everyone gets the appropriate number of zines printed and mails them out to everyone on the list by the end of October 2023

Links

- Link to the Book & Zine Making Thread.
- Link to the 1st zine exchange
- Link to the 2nd zine exchange
- Link to the 3rd zine exchange
- Link to the 4th zine exchange.
- Link to the 5th zine exchange.

Some buried and useful posts.
- My tips for surviving Mixam's UI
- Dave's thoughts on the different print services
- My post on making a page ready for print using Lightroom & Photoshop
- Dave's post on potential zine storage options
- Graham's list of links for making a photobook
- My silly post on how to make a 6 page mini zine from a single sheet of paper
- Potential packaging suppliers (for postage)
- Typography - a mini discussion (with links)
- Flip through video example by Andy
- Procrastination. A TED talk linked by Chris
- A review of the different paper types supplied by Mixam

Off TP links
- Emulsive guide to printing a zine
- Dave's blog post on how to make a zine
- Another blog post from Dave about the thinking behind ZE:III (Zine Exchange III)
- Introductory post on using Affinity Publisher to set up an A5 zine (Sourced by ChrisR)
- YouTube video linked originally by Mark on how to use Affinity Publisher (which is relatively cheap, and often discounted)

FAQ
Q: Can anyone take part?

A: Yes. However if you are outside the UK it will be OPTIONAL for people to post zines out to you mainly due to the cost. I'm happy to post anywhere, so you will at least get one zine, but it wouldn't be fair to force people to post outside the UK.

Q: So how much will it all cost?
A: My experience is that you can get a box of 25-30 zines from Mixam delivered for about £40. Then there's the postage to each person taking part. Previous zine exchanges have fluctuated in numbers. 6, 8, 15 then 8. Have a read through the thread to get an idea of roughly how many are taking part. Postage of a "normal" A5 zine will be £1 to £1.50 using 2nd class. (Large letter, then depends whether it's >100g or not)

Q: How many zines will I have to send?
A: Not sure. We'll monitor how many people show interest and we're mindful that sending 20-30 zines out will be expensive, so will be looking to try and limit the costs somehow should we get a lot of entrants. Rest assured that you can leave it until the last month before committing to the point of spending any money so you can make a decision then.

Q: How should I design it?
A: That's the challenge of making a zine. It's not just about plonking a bunch of photos in a book, it's about crafting something. Text or no text? Colour, monochrome or mix? Square, landscape or portrait (or mix)? One image to a page, or collages? A Google search for "Photography zine" will give you some good cover ideas too! If you're new to the challenge, ask in the thread to see if anyone will send you an example of theirs.

Q: How big should I make it?
A: As a minimum, I'd suggest A5 and containing 10-15 pages. A5 also makes storage easier. Bear in mind you need to pay for it, and post it, so the bigger or heavier you go, the more cost to you.

Q: What should the zine contain?
A: It's up to you, but most zines work well when based around a theme or project. I prefer to take new images for it, whilst others like to go through their back catalogue. Do what makes you happy - film, digital, or phone - doesn't matter. I'd say pick a theme or a topic and work to that but my last zine was a mess of incohesion and indecision, so don't listen to me! And if you want to put poetry in it, or scans of your paintings, or stick men on a mountain, that's fine too!

Q: What software do I need to make a zine?
A: Again - up to you. Many previous participants used Affinity Publisher as it has a relatively easy learning curve and is often available at a 50% discount. Photoshop will also do the job if you have the Adobe Photographer plan. Other programs are available though, so please ask in the thread if you're not sure.

Q: I have no clue what a zine looks like? Can I see some examples?
A: Andy did a flip through sample of one of his zines (see links above), and I'm fairly sure there will be some people happy to send you one of their previous efforts so you can see the sort of things we're doing. Just ask in-thread.

P.S. If you've got this far and are still thinking "my photography isn't good enough", rest assured it probably is. None of us are experts on what constitutes the "best photographs" but we are all experts on "what we see" which makes our/your view unique. Why not throw your photography out there? No one is going to say your zine is crap because.... well.... you're literally probably the worst critic of your work if you got this far, and this isn't about who is better than who. It's about looking at how other people see the world and experience it through photography. Your voice is just as valid as anyone else's. Add to the discussion rather than compete.

Last edited:
Maybe. I'm feeling like I need to make something that gets finished while still pursuing my 'ongoing' (i.e. endless) projects.

I will give it a shot, again. Hopefully this time I will have an end product

I’m tentatively in. I’ve got a project I’ve been failing to see through for about 4 years now and this might just give me the impetus complete it (or it might just be like this years attempt at the 52 and be an epic failure :ROFLMAO:).

Heard about this wonderful platform via Analogue Wonderland. Yes, I'm up for making a zine! :)

Heard about this wonderful platform via Analogue Wonderland. Yes, I'm up for making a zine! :)
Glad to have you here Julius!

Right. That's it. I've started. To anyone bereft of ideas: Go through your back catalogue and find an idea you started but never finished. Dump all your exploration photos into a folder. Think of a title. Make your cover. Dump the exploration photos into a draft zine. Realise most of them are rubbish, but also realise you could improve on them now you have a reason to. Then...

a) Industriously go out over the next couple of months and make the best photographs you've made in months to deliver a zine that's worthy of at least a £5 price tag. More if you sign inside the cover. Or...
b) Procrastinate until the last minute, then leave the crap in, but still make the deadline and feel shame when it gets delivered. When it gets sent out, suffer anxiety followed by disbelief as recipients say they got something useful from it.

Then of course you sign up for the next zine exchange promising you'll make more of an effort next time round.

It's worked for me!

Right. That's it. I've started. To anyone bereft of ideas: Go through your back catalogue and find an idea you started but never finished. Dump all your exploration photos into a folder. Think of a title. Make your cover. Dump the exploration photos into a draft zine. Realise most of them are rubbish, but also realise you could improve on them now you have a reason to. Then...

a) Industriously go out over the next couple of months and make the best photographs you've made in months to deliver a zine that's worthy of at least a £5 price tag. More if you sign inside the cover. Or...
b) Procrastinate until the last minute, then leave the crap in, but still make the deadline and feel shame when it gets delivered. When it gets sent out, suffer anxiety followed by disbelief as recipients say they got something useful from it.

Then of course you sign up for the next zine exchange promising you'll make more of an effort next time round.

It's worked for me!

My most commercially succesful zine was shot in a few hours and assmebled in Affinity Publisher the following day (including photo editing (Lightroom), croping, sequencing, etc) - found a shop that wanted to retail them, just about to deliver a 3rd batch of 20 zines to them.

My favourite zines that i've built are assembled pictures over several years and put together over 3-5 days (with photo editing)

Last edited:
Right. That's it. I've started. To anyone bereft of ideas: Go through your back catalogue and find an idea you started but never finished.
For me that would mean having to choose from about a dozen ideas that fizzled out! :LOL:

It's worked for me!
b) is the only true way :giggle:

My most commercially succesful zine was shot in a few hours and assmebled in Affinity Publisher the following day (including photo editing (Lightroom), croping, sequencing, etc) - found a shop that wanted to retail them, just about to deliver a 3rd batch of 20 zines to them.

My favourite zines that i've built are assembled pictures over several years and put together over 3-5 days (with photo editing)

It may well be that taking and processing the pictures in a narrow time frame gives better consistency.

I have had a couple of ideas this morning. Will scan this year’s photos in Lightroom later today to see if either is a goer

My first zine (not distributed) was all in landscape, but I may have a couple of pictures from the same theme in portrait format. ;)

My most commercially succesful zine
You've got me curious. Did you shoot it & then decide to market it, or did you decide to make something marketable?

You've got me curious. Did you shoot it & then decide to market it, or did you decide to make something marketable?

I shot it for me and a Zine exchange - can’t remember whether it was this group or another one I’m in, I had a copy in my bag when I went into The Modernist shop in Manchester, we got talking (I’m a serial visitor and buyer if their products) and I showed them some zines, they were interested in two of them and ‘ordered’ 10 copies each, one sold quickly so they took another 20 copies and have just ordered 20 more.

I don’t make much money from them, but it certainly covers my Mixam costs of Zine exchanges!!!

I always shoot for myself, if someone likes it and wants to give me money then great, but I certainly don’t shoot with £ signs in my head!!!!

It's worked for me!

This made me smile

Not late at all! Welcome to TP.

I'll be tagging everyone who has expressed an interest towards the end of August to see how many we've got taking part. For now it's the taking photos bit :)

Not late at all! Welcome to TP.

I'll be tagging everyone who has expressed an interest towards the end of August to see how many we've got taking part. For now it's the taking photos bit :)
would it be acceptable to use a zine that I have already got printed and ready to send out? or do I need to take new photos? Either way I don't mind. Just don't want to break an unspoken rule.

We don't really do rules here :) I guess the only real thing is for folks to not send out a zine they've already used in the previous zine exchanges, so that people aren't getting duplicates. If you've got one none of the other participants have seen, that's fine by me (and with you being such a new member, I find that very unlikely!). I see this as it being as much about receiving inspirational work as it is about creating it. Fill yer boots as they say.

I think the only other rule was around international (non UK) folks entering as that could get expensive when shipping.

Hi folks. I'm really struggling with confidence. I have an idea for the zine (my backup one is really boring) but I'm not confident about approaching people to explain what I want to do, followed by shoving a camera in front of their face. They're really nice people who are very much already giving their time to something, and it feels awkward asking them to give even more.. The sane part of me knows that they can just say no, and I can leave it at that, but my fear of offending them is stopping me moving forward. Has anyone ever successfully tackled this and has any advice?

It's really not something I can do without asking because of the environment.

Hi folks. I'm really struggling with confidence. I have an idea for the zine (my backup one is really boring) but I'm not confident about approaching people to explain what I want to do, followed by shoving a camera in front of their face. They're really nice people who are very much already giving their time to something, and it feels awkward asking them to give even more.. The sane part of me knows that they can just say no, and I can leave it at that, but my fear of offending them is stopping me moving forward. Has anyone ever successfully tackled this and has any advice?

Do you know one or two of them better than some of the others? If so you suggest what you are thinking to them as a "do you think people would mind?" type question and then perhaps encourage them to spread the word? For FPOTY a few years ago "Stranger" or something similar was one of the themes and whilst I hated it I actually did just go up to random people and ask if I could take their photo, most just said yes. I've never done it since but I now think that I could if I had to.

This is probably no help.

I find it easier to ask complete strangers than people I know even vaguely. Then again, if I had a zine project that required it I might find it easier, and I'd offer them a copy of the zine.

I might find it easier, and I'd offer them a copy of the zine.
That's the intent. I think the solution is to probably man up and open my gob.

If so you suggest what you are thinking to them as a "do you think people would mind?" type question
I honestly don't think they'd understand. Have you ever had a creative idea and tried to explain it to someone who just doesn't get it? For me - it feels embarrassing after about 5 minutes.. Thanks for the reply though Chris.

It's probably a crap idea.

Last edited:
I find asking people if I can take their photograph very difficult too. Like Chris, when we did the Stranger theme for FPOTY, I also received positive responses from most people I asked, and the ones who refused were still polite. The fear of the someone potentially responding badly is what makes it a challenge, I think, but if you're upfront about your intentions, I don't think it's likely to be a problem.

Remember the saying about it being better to regret something you did do, than to regret something you didn't.

Back