South-West England Possible Durdle Door/Lulworth Cove meet up?

Thanks, looks like plenty space for 3 cars....

Now I need to find a car I can park there :ROFLMAO:

What are people's idea for a date/time at this point?

Actually Saturday night looks to be the best but metoffice doesn't show me beyond that i.e. Sunday AM yet.
Friday night or Saturday early morning doesn't seem too bad.
Thursday night or Friday early doesn't seem great....

So someone is paying someone to go around at 3am and stick fines on cars in the middle of no where.

Lots of patrols around so possibly.

Saturday night or Sunday early morning is looking rather good.
Friday night or Saturday early morning a close second. though if we are not wanting to risk it, Saturday night seems better at this point.

Any ideas when people want to meet up?

Saturday night or Sunday early morning is looking rather good.
Friday night or Saturday early morning a close second. though if we are not wanting to risk it, Saturday night seems better at this point.

Any ideas when people want to meet up?

I'm keeping a close eye on the weather right now. I'd be very keen to stay down there for both nights to be honest!

In fact, I'd prefer both nights!

I'm keeping a close eye on the weather right now. I'd be very keen to stay down there for both nights to be honest!

In fact, I'd prefer both nights!

staying in car for two night is bit of a pain in the a**e (literally!) lol
of course could join you for one of the nights but lets see what OP says too :)

you got any plans in the morning? I believe OP is with his family, how about you?

staying in car for two night is bit of a pain in the a**e (literally!) lol
of course could join you for one of the nights but lets see what OP says too :)

you got any plans in the morning? I believe OP is with his family, how about you?

Sorry, which morning?

The thing is, you wouldn't be staying in the car overnight. You'll be out taking photos :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, which morning?

The thing is, you wouldn't be staying in the car overnight. You'll be out taking photos :ROFLMAO:

Well both Friday and Saturday during the day I guess.

I was planning on sleeping in the car for a few hours before driving back.

Well both Friday and Saturday during the day I guess.

I was planning on sleeping in the car for a few hours before driving back.

If the skies are fully clear my rough plan would be....

Drive down Friday evening, shoot sunset, shoot blue hour, shoot night skies all within the Lulworth/DD area on foot. Maybe drive to Corfe for sunrise. Grab some kip in the car at Corfe under the trees..... Grab some sleep on the beach/coast somewhere.... Maybe try to book a campsite for the night. Shoot sunset MW again. Sleep/sunrise/sleep/drive home :)

If the skies are fully clear my rough plan would be....

Drive down Friday evening, shoot sunset, shoot blue hour, shoot night skies all within the Lulworth/DD area on foot. Maybe drive to Corfe for sunrise. Grab some kip in the car at Corfe under the trees..... Grab some sleep on the beach/coast somewhere.... Maybe try to book a campsite for the night. Shoot sunset MW again. Sleep/sunrise/sleep/drive home :)

the ideal would some character in the sky for sunset/sunrise by clear skies for night shots :D

Could join you till Corfe I guess... but I have not done an all nighter in a while. I imagine I will feel sleepy around 4-5am easily.
At the moment Saturday looks better for night skies than Friday though. But perhaps Friday is better for sunset/sunrise

Last edited:
the ideal would some character in the sky for sunset/sunrise by clear skies for night shots :D

Could join you till Corfe I guess... but I have not done an all nighter in a while. I imagine I will feel sleepy around 4-5am easily.
At the moment Saturday looks better for night skies than Friday though. But perhaps Friday is better for sunset/sunrise

Yeah, I think once the shooting is finished that's when the tiredness kicks in! I'd rather prioritise night skies tbh. Our back up would be Stonehenge!

Yeah, I think once the shooting is finished that's when the tiredness kicks in! I'd rather prioritise night skies tbh. Our back up would be Stonehenge!

in that case Saturday is looking better than Friday looking at the weather today. Of course lets wait and see... I don't mind either day.
Stonehenge isn't too far off-track to London so that'd work as backup for me too.

I still haven't sorted out a car since I wasn't sure how the weather would turn out. I will work on getting access to one tomorrow.

Last edited:
I am pasting weather report from metoffice (I find them accurate for most part) so we all know what I am referring to

@LeeRatters - tonight is looks to be a pile of poo
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 08.54.19.png

Tomorrow is looking bad too :(
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 08.54.30.png

Saturday is looking more promising at the moment
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 08.54.47.png

I'm certainly not going down tonight anyway, my boy has school tomorrow!

Sat/Sun is a definite somewhere at the moment. Stonehenge maybe. If the south coast turns clear for Fri/Sat then we'll do the Lulworth area for two nights.

Apologies for the poor comms guys, been in a caravan with pretty much no mobile signal. The weekend isn't going to work for me unfortunately and it doesn't look like the weather will be playing ball either for astro shooting at Durdle Door either and then I'm back to the usual routine

Sorry for messing you around and feel free to use this thread to make your own plans :)

Last edited:
Apologies for the poor comms guys, been in a caravan with pretty much no mobile signal. The weekend isn't going to work for me unfortunately and it doesn't look like the weather will be playing ball either for astro shooting at Durdle Door either and then I'm back to the usual routine

Sorry for messing you around and feel free to use this thread to make your own plans :)

well if you are around you can be our weatherman :ROFLMAO:

I'm certainly not going down tonight anyway, my boy has school tomorrow!

Sat/Sun is a definite somewhere at the moment. Stonehenge maybe. If the south coast turns clear for Fri/Sat then we'll do the Lulworth area for two nights.

Can you even get close to Stonehenge at night? :thinking:
Last time we visited we needed a ticket and then took a bus from the ticketing office or visitor centre.

@LeeRatters - I did another google search or two and as far as I can see there is no legal way of photographing stonehenge at night.

perhaps have a read of this thread

in case you are still wanting to do it, I wish you luck but I shall bow out :ROFLMAO:

@LeeRatters - I did another google search or two and as far as I can see there is no legal way of photographing stonehenge at night.

perhaps have a read of this thread

in case you are still wanting to do it, I wish you luck but I shall bow out :ROFLMAO:

Alyn Wallace released a YouTube vlog from there a few weeks ago and a guy on one of the Farcebook group lives local and shoots it often.

Alyn Wallace released a YouTube vlog from there a few weeks ago and a guy on one of the Farcebook group lives local and shoots it often.
Any ideas on how they got in.
Looking that at that thread it is possible if you pay £400!!

Can you even get close to Stonehenge at night? :thinking:
Last time we visited we needed a ticket and then took a bus from the ticketing office or visitor centre.

I was there a fortnight ago, during the day. It looks like there is access from the North through Woodhenge, and if you want to get the MW you'll need to be facing South anyway (I think). You can see the track (which used to be a proper road) to the left of the circle. There is now a number of semi permanent motor homes along here, so access is possible.

Other than that, there is a small layby opposite on the South side on the A303, if you want to shoot facing north with a longer lens.

Attachments

• stonehenge.jpg
    stonehenge.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 4
The other place I have thought about is Knowlton Church

I did a sunset shot there last year but the sunset never really developed (they never do when I have my camera!)

Knowlton Church by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I don't know. I've not been there for many years. I know I see plenty of shots of it that's all. I don't know what focal lengths they use.

I would definitely be interested in doing Stonehenge with the Milkyway but not this time I think. Will need more time to figure out the logistics.
Durdle door on Saturday seems more of a surety in terms of getting results.

We are close to new moon, Saturday night looks clear. I think this is the best one to aim for.

Last edited:
I was there a fortnight ago, during the day. It looks like there is access from the North through Woodhenge, and if you want to get the MW you'll need to be facing South anyway (I think). You can see the track (which used to be a proper road) to the left of the circle. There is now a number of semi permanent motor homes along here, so access is possible.

Other than that, there is a small layby opposite on the South side on the A303, if you want to shoot facing north with a longer lens.

Thank you for the information. Having briefly explored what is possible on street view and maps looks like some form of access is possible. I still need to figure out the orientation of the MW and where to shoot from. I assume its possible but need to workout which time of the year.

Lee seemed to indicate its possible this time of the year and may be it is. I just haven't fully worked out semantics of this yet. Definitely something I'd want to shoot though if it is even remotely possible.

Thank you for the information. Having briefly explored what is possible on street view and maps looks like some form of access is possible. I still need to figure out the orientation of the MW and where to shoot from. I assume its possible but need to workout which time of the year.

Lee seemed to indicate its possible this time of the year and may be it is. I just haven't fully worked out semantics of this yet. Definitely something I'd want to shoot though if it is even remotely possible.

It is possible. Alyn Wallace released a vlog on it from a few weeks ago......

You park on the gravel side road, walk up past the main entrance, around into the field to the north so you are facing south. The Milky Way is pretty much a dead south composition.

I first spoke to my wife at Lulworth, having sat opposite her in a pub in Bournemouth the day before.
The walk over to Durdle door (and on to Dorchester) thus has special significance for us. - we stayed together all afternoon & all the next day...
We're planning on being in that part of the world during the first week in July, but I very much doubt we'd be able to fit in a meet up :(
It's a good 3.5 hours in the car from home & over 2 hours from our B&B.

Last edited:
It is possible. Alyn Wallace released a vlog on it from a few weeks ago......

You park on the gravel side road, walk up past the main entrance, around into the field to the north so you are facing south. The Milky Way is pretty much a dead south composition.

Finally got a chance to watch his vlog. He's got amazing results and he even discuses the focal lengths he's used.
He also used tracker with 85mm lens to get his best shot. Unfortunately I don't have any trackers to get that level of results.

Looks like the spot is popular, there were a few photographers taking shots there.

Finally got a chance to watch his vlog. He's got amazing results and he even discuses the focal lengths he's used.
He also used tracker with 85mm lens to get his best shot. Unfortunately I don't have any trackers to get that level of results.

Looks like the spot is popular, there were a few photographers taking shots there.

Yeah, I don't think there are many of the more popular spots that you would have to yourself! I also can't see myself doing a 5x4 20 shot tracked multilevel panorama & pulling it off either :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

35mm FF doesn't seem a bad focal length. Then again, I sometimes like to get a bit of variety so would probably shoot at different lengths given the time.

I only live 20 minutes away, if I get a chance, I'll get the OS maps out and have a drive down there. And I'll take a compass :LOL:

I only live 20 minutes away, if I get a chance, I'll get the OS maps out and have a drive down there. And I'll take a compass :LOL:

Well if you could check and let us know that'd be amazing!
No hurries though :)

Kinda jealous you are so close :D

Lived here 2 years, and last week was the first time we've been to Stonehenge....

I have seen Stonehenge.... even won a small competition on historical monuments with a picture of it
48448823851_87b9c463db_b.jpg

getting the Milkyway in going to be a challenge. I am also tempted to buy a tracker and shoot like Alyn Wallace with 85mm to get a super detailed shot.
Also I am thinking this is probably one of the few things may just work as vertical pano!

Last edited:
I think we are going to do Stonehenge. I spoke to my boy last night and he said he's got a lot of school work to do for tests and exam stuff so he doesn't want to be out all weekend.

I think we are going to do Stonehenge

Sounds cool, enjoy :)

Not somewhere I've ever visited except in the day with the crowds.. Possible also worth checking out the Avebury stone circle whilst there? Not as iconic/impressive but I've seen some recent MW stuff from Avebury which was very pleasant

Last edited:
Back