South-West England Possible Durdle Door/Lulworth Cove meet up?

I did manage to make it down to Durdle Door - plenty of shooting opportunities but very busy! I'll post some stuff up when I get chance..

Re: parking if you do decide to make the trip at some point, there's a stretch along the road in West Lulworth by Holy Trinity church, prob. space for 20-30 cars with no double yellows. It seems to get reasonably parked up but might be an option. Parking at Durdle Door itself does seem to close at 9PM, but they only seem to close the 'in' gate. There were people parked up there well after 10PM on a couple of nights we were there

@Son_of_Thor by the way did you get any milky way shots?

Yes, got some Milky Way stuff - bloody noisy as I've no tracker but reasonably pleased as it was my first go! The MW is coming up nicely from behind the Door at the moment. It was visible from around 23:30 onwards, best (IMO) around from around 00:45 with the MW to the right of the door at that time. I used the 'Stellarium' smartphone app to work out where it'd be relative to the Door (and when) during the daytime and headed back later on. Still fairly cold overnight so you'll likely want a couple of layers of clothing. I was shooting 20mm on full frame - I reckon anything between 14 and 24mm or so would be good for it. Longer FL may well work as there's plenty of beach to retreat along

It was reasonably busy when I was there - 6 other togs with the same idea :)

There's a little ambient light cast on the foreground from the cruise ships anchored over at Weymouth which I found useful for focussing and doesn't seem problematic when shooting the stars. I'd take a headtorch if you have one - it's pretty dark down there and the steps back up are a bit uneven and are a fair workout!

If you're planning on arriving early during the day there are plenty of photo opportunities at Durdle Door itself and Man'o'War bay on the other side

Last edited:
Yes, got some Milky Way stuff - bloody noisy as I've no tracker but reasonably pleased as it was my first go! The MW is coming up nicely from behind the Door at the moment. It was visible from around 23:30 onwards, best (IMO) around from around 00:45 with the MW to the right of the door at that time. I used the 'Stellarium' smartphone app to work out where it'd be relative to the Door (and when) during the daytime and headed back later on. Still fairly cold overnight so you'll likely want a couple of layers of clothing. I was shooting 20mm on full frame - I reckon anything between 14 and 24mm or so would be good for it. Longer FL may well work as there's plenty of beach to retreat along

It was reasonably busy when I was there - 6 other togs with the same idea :)

There's a little ambient light cast on the foreground from the cruise ships anchored over at Weymouth which I found useful for focussing and doesn't seem problematic when shooting the stars. I'd take a headtorch if you have one - it's pretty dark down there and the steps back up are a bit uneven and are a fair workout!

If you're planning on arriving early during the day there are plenty of photo opportunities at Durdle Door itself and Man'o'War bay on the other side

excellent information thank you so much :)
I do not have a tracker either. If I can do this more consistently I'll buy one.
I have a 17-28mm/2.8 and 35mm f1.4.

did you just park in the parking lot?

excellent information thank you so much :)
I do not have a tracker either. If I can do this more consistently I'll buy one.
I have a 17-28mm/2.8 and 35mm f1.4.

did you just park in the parking lot?

No worries! :)

I'd pack both of those and you should be fine..

I didn't - we ended up staying at the top of the hill for a few days, so no access issues

I was going to arrive around 7pm scout around the place, take a few shots and then around 9PM move the car to its "overnight" space.
Now I am thinking may be I should just park near the Church to start with and avoid the back and forth.

I was going to arrive around 7pm scout around the place, take a few shots and then around 9PM move the car to its "overnight" space.
Now I am thinking may be I should just park near the Church to start with and avoid the back and forth.

The Durdle Door car park is £5 for up to 4 hours or £10 all day. I think one ticket covers the Durdle Door or Lulworth Cove car park and you can move between the two (although that's not useful in your case). Having done the walk up from the beach a couple of times I'd suggest minimising round trips!

I think the only way you really want to do that is park at Durdle Door & then move it to the layby by the Durdle Door entrance that I Google located on the last page. You don't want to be walking back and forth from Lulworth to Durdle Door esp the beach at DD!!

I think the only way you really want to do that is park at Durdle Door & then move it to the layby by the Durdle Door entrance that I Google located on the last page. You don't want to be walking back and forth from Lulworth to Durdle Door esp the beach at DD!!

The Google location you posted is a no go, they have signs literally on it saying can't park there and that your car would be towed away. :eek:

The place @Son_of_Thor suggested works though i.e. church Street. Also free but a slightly longer walk especially at 2.30 am in the morning :p

I hope you got some decent shots from Stonehenge :)

There were actually quite a few people there last night. About 7-8 photographer and 3 groups of campers (who were very annoying and got in pictures). I tried to work around or rather work them into some pictures, but I'll see if it actually works out.

Generally speaking when we arrived the place was incredibly busy. Some people leaving their trash behind which was really disappointing to see. These kind of people ruin the places for everyone. I really wish people were more respectful. :(

The Google location you posted is a no go, they have signs literally on it saying can't park there and that your car would be towed away. :eek:

The place @Son_of_Thor suggested works though i.e. church Street. Also free but a slightly longer walk especially at 2.30 am in the morning :p

There were actually quite a few people there last night. About 7-8 photographer and 3 groups of campers (who were very annoying and got in pictures). I tried to work around or rather work them into some pictures, but I'll see if it actually works out.

Generally speaking when we arrived the place was incredibly busy. Some people leaving their trash behind which was really disappointing to see. These kind of people ruin the places for everyone. I really wish people were more respectful. :(

I think Stonehenge was busier :ROFLMAO: But some great people though and good conversation. Left just after sunset, got in about 4:30! But I will be going back again I think at some point.

Glad it worked out well for you down there.

I think Stonehenge was busier :ROFLMAO: But some great people though and good conversation. Left just after sunset, got in about 4:30! But I will be going back again I think at some point.

Let me know if you are going to Stonehenge again.
I'd still be interested in hearing where you parked and what path you took (lenses used etc)

Glad that parking spot worked out, bit of a trek, but having done the walk from Lulworth Cove I'd say it's not more pleasant!

Similar level of togs, but shame about the campers - nothing like that when I was there. It was very busy during the day when I was there and into the evening. Didn't see much litter, but it doesn't take many idiots does it?

I've had a quick go at processing one of my shots. Extremely noisy and evident coma in the corners, but as it's the first time I've even seen the MW I'm reasonably pleased :)

Durdle Door Milky Way - first go at editing by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Now to try and avoid the GAS - wider, faster lenses, trackers, etc.... :facepalm:

It was a good crack at Durdle too when I was there. Great company and a lovely way to spend a night..

I'd still be interested in hearing where you parked and what path you took (lenses used etc)

:plus1: might be a while until I get out and about again, but be good to know for reference :)

:plus1: might be a while until I get out and about again, but be good to know for reference :)

As I said previously, we parked in the gravel road and walked about 300 yards (y)

Lenses..... Not enough. I was shooting 20mm & by the time I thought about using the 35GM, Keiran was using it on his A6000 so...... I'll have to go back again. Not tonight though :)

It became a bit of a rush. Got a few early off centre shots & then it was just waiting for the MW to move around. By the time that happened & we'd set up & taken 2 shots* it was starting to fade & get a bit too light.

*Sounds extreme I know..... but..... several high ISO/1 sec framing checks, 6 x 90sec exposures for the foreground, focus check, 6 x 90 second exposures for the sky..... You're talking a good 20-25 minutes per image.

Anything 50mm & wider (FF) will fit the stones in with some breathing space around them.

Glad that parking spot worked out, bit of a trek, but having done the walk from Lulworth Cove I'd say it's not more pleasant!

Similar level of togs, but shame about the campers - nothing like that when I was there. It was very busy during the day when I was there and into the evening. Didn't see much litter, but it doesn't take many idiots does it?

I've had a quick go at processing one of my shots. Extremely noisy and evident coma in the corners, but as it's the first time I've even seen the MW I'm reasonably pleased :)

Now to try and avoid the GAS - wider, faster lenses, trackers, etc.... :facepalm:

Nice start (y) Makes me want DD even more!! :ROFLMAO:

It was a good crack at Durdle too when I was there. Great company and a lovely way to spend a night..

I'd imagine the beach would be a much better, more relaxing place to shoot. We were all stood on a path. Pop a little beach tent up, make a brew or two, sit/lie down & watch the stars :)

Nice start (y) Makes me want DD even more!! :ROFLMAO:

I'd imagine the beach would be a much better, more relaxing place to shoot. We were all stood on a path. Pop a little beach tent up, make a brew or two, sit/lie down & watch the stars :)

Cheers :)

Pretty much and not too cold being June!

As I said previously, we parked in the gravel road and walked about 300 yards (y)

Lenses..... Not enough. I was shooting 20mm & by the time I thought about using the 35GM, Keiran was using it on his A6000 so...... I'll have to go back again. Not tonight though :)

It became a bit of a rush. Got a few early off centre shots & then it was just waiting for the MW to move around. By the time that happened & we'd set up & taken 2 shots* it was starting to fade & get a bit too light.

*Sounds extreme I know..... but..... several high ISO/1 sec framing checks, 6 x 90sec exposures for the foreground, focus check, 6 x 90 second exposures for the sky..... You're talking a good 20-25 minutes per image.

Anything 50mm & wider (FF) will fit the stones in with some breathing space around them.

Interesting, presumably using a tracker? I was struggling with star trails shooting anything over 5 seconds which rather limited my options! Shot pretty much exclusively at ISO 6400 and still underexposed...

Interesting, presumably using a tracker? I was struggling with star trails shooting anything over 5 seconds which rather limited my options! Shot pretty much exclusively at ISO 6400 and still underexposed...

Yes, with a MSM tracker - Only my second time out using it. My boy was shooting 2 minute exposures - A6000 & 12mm (y)

Before the tracker I would shoot around 13 seconds, f/2, ISO1250 at 20/24mm. 5 seconds seems very short to get trails!

That really nice, I like it very much (why wouldn't I, I probably have the same shot :ROFLMAO: )
20mm f1.8 is as good as it gets. At least in Sony land its one of the best lenses for astro, not sure about Nikon (in terms of coma etc)

Yeah there 5-6 bin bags full someone had left just half way up the stairs. there were very large groups and seems like they just couldn't be bothered carrying it back up with them and gave up. At least they picked it all up and put it bags right!? :facepalm:

I had two borderline racists as company.
There were a group camping just behind us and they had flood lights that was lighting the beach and ruining the foreground. I think they were from Europe (don't ask me where I don't do accents and I couldn't care less). The photographers next me when and had a fight with them p***ed them off and started turning up the light on purpose. After the fight the came back and said "F****n foreigners they can't understand what we are saying and I can't understand them anyway".
I went and had chat with the group politely explained what I was trying to do and asked them to turn the light to other side so they party could go on and I could get my shots. They kindly obliged.
So that was my company :p

Yes, with a MSM tracker - Only my second time out using it. My boy was shooting 2 minute exposures - A6000 & 12mm (y)

Before the tracker I would shoot around 13 seconds, f/2, ISO1250 at 20/24mm. 5 seconds seems very short to get trails!

if we do meet sometime I'd be happy to let you borrow my 85mm f1.4 to get detailed shots like Alyn :)
All I will ask is show me how you use the tracker (I know there are many YouTube videos and what not but nothing like a 1-2-1 or seeing it used live)

if we do meet sometime I'd be happy to let you borrow my 85mm f1.4 to get detailed shots like Alyn :)
All I will ask is show me how you use the tracker (I know there are many YouTube videos and what not but nothing like a 1-2-1 or seeing it used live)

I did have my 85mm with me but I don't think I could have pulled of multi row panorama's. Maybe next time but I wanted to get something that I knew was going to be pretty much a guaranteed shot last night. It was a wait for the MW to be in position so I suppose I could have had a pano trial earlier thinking about it but like I said, maybe next time.

Using the MSM is pretty simple & quick honestly. But yeah I don't mind running you through things.

As you can see people camping in my shot with a fire despite it explicitly saying no fires in big bold letters in many places down to the beach

I have tried to post a slightly different composition.... but there is only one beach, one door and one place MW shows up :LOL:

A1, tamron 17-28mm @ 17mm, f2.8, 15s, ISO3200 5 shots vertical pano
51244249197_ca2575ed3e_b.jpg

As you can see people camping in my shot with a fire despite it explicitly saying no fires in big bold letters in many places down to the beach

I have tried to post a slightly different composition.... but there is only one beach, one door and one place MW shows up :LOL:

Very nice. You've pulled that panorama off well. I don't think the campers distract too much either.

There are a few shooting stars (or satellites!) photobombing the MW!

TBH, while I agree that the campers/partiers shouldn't be having a fire, I think the glow adds to the shot.

(Edit to correct should to shouldn't!)

Last edited:

Interesting, a couple of guys down at DD were using the MSM tracker - seems pretty easy to setup/use

Yep, seems to be resolution-related (45MP) - there was really obvious star trailing around 8 seconds and it got worse from there...

Nice! Didn't even think of trying a pano, good idea and well executed (y)

I also don't find the campers/fire detract...

Last edited:
Interesting, a couple of guys down at DD were using the MSM tracker - seems pretty easy to setup/use

Yep, seems to be resolution-related (45MP) - there was really obvious star trailing around 8 seconds and it got worse from there...

yes resolution will show the trailing more but I accepted a wee bit of it to get better exposure. Once you scale you picture down to say 24mp or whatever the trails will disappear just as if you you had shot on a lower res body. high res is no problem. I was shooting with 50mp body :)

That really nice, I like it very much (why wouldn't I, I probably have the same shot :ROFLMAO: )
20mm f1.8 is as good as it gets. At least in Sony land its one of the best lenses for astro, not sure about Nikon (in terms of coma etc)

I don't think the Nikon is a slouch, but does seem to benefit from being stopped down a little to correct the coma, but I really was struggling for light and pushing the ISO already - live and learn!

Yeah there 5-6 bin bags full someone had left just half way up the stairs. there were very large groups and seems like they just couldn't be bothered carrying it back up with them and gave up. At least they picked it all up and put it bags right!? :facepalm:

That is literally rubbish! :exit:

I had two borderline racists as company.
There were a group camping just behind us and they had flood lights that was lighting the beach and ruining the foreground. I think they were from Europe (don't ask me where I don't do accents and I couldn't care less). The photographers next me when and had a fight with them p***ed them off and started turning up the light on purpose. After the fight the came back and said "F****n foreigners they can't understand what we are saying and I can't understand them anyway".
I went and had chat with the group politely explained what I was trying to do and asked them to turn the light to other side so they party could go on and I could get my shots. They kindly obliged.
So that was my company :p

Hmm, just goes to show that a little courtesy can go a long way...

There are a few shooting stars (or satellites!) photobombing the MW!

TBH, while I agree that the campers/partiers shouldn't be having a fire, I think the glow adds to the shot.

(Edit to correct should to shouldn't!)

indeed, I did think of cloning them out but I decided to leave them in. I guess most people clone them out?
I find it hard to believe all shots come out all clean with no such stars/satellites photobombing :D

it seems most people I have showed the picture to like the campers/glow from the camp fire but some people found it distracting. I didn't find it too bad.

Back