2014 Photo52 Challenge : Week 52 : Support

Evening all - had a mare of a time with last weeks Bubble, if I miss a week out will I be flogged in public?
Hell YES :bat:

Dont forget you ccan post anything up if you want to give yourself dome 'jokers', but hey just take a picture of some bubbles, doesn't have o be good, then just come back to it on a 're-shoot' week :)

Last edited:
Well......its the first week I've not come up with an idea within 24hrs...............I don't like it! :runaway:

Hell YES :bat:

Dont forget you ccan post anything up if you want to give yourself dome 'jokers', but hey just take a picture of some bubbles, doesn't have o be good, then just come back to it on a 're-shoot' week :)

Dodgy shot on its way!

Well...after 166 weeks on the trot I'll not be posting a shot this week

I cannot do smoke trails , can't focus on the smoke , can't light them , nope , total failure :crying:
Gonna do the housework instead !

I cannot do smoke trails , can't focus on the smoke , can't light them , nope , total failure :crying:

Not acceptable ;)

This is the tutorial I always promote. Linky

You don't need a table lamp. Just shoot at f8 or thereabouts. Pre focus.

Remember, it doesn't have to be smoke trails. Try Implied smoke....cigarette box, or something. Or even pull out a Joker.

Missing a week after so long...you'll regret :)

Cheers and I'm watching (y)

Not acceptable ;)

This is the tutorial I always promote. Linky

You don't need a table lamp. Just shoot at f8 or thereabouts. Pre focus.

Remember, it doesn't have to be smoke trails. Try Implied smoke....cigarette box, or something. Or even pull out a Joker.

Missing a week after so long...you'll regret :)

Cheers and I'm watching (y)

tried the tutorials Andy ( watched Mr Hoey this morning ) , don't know how to use the flash , was using f8 , couldn't pre-focus on anything ( tired a pencil but the smoke moves ) .Got myself in a right tizz which I really don't need as already in state from work...having a mega grump :crying: now

I am still not sure what to do this week :thinking:
It may well have to be a literal take on the theme, will have to wait and see if inspiration strikes:D

:D sorry Lynne but your photography tales are quite funny, did you do your housework in the end? Or did the wine win it?

I am still not sure what to do this week :thinking:
It may well have to be a literal take on the theme, will have to wait and see if inspiration strikes:D

:D sorry Lynne but your photography tales are quite funny, did you do your housework in the end? Or did the wine win it?

it's amazing how much tidying & cleaning I can do when I'm grumpy & I don't have any wine in the house :mad: House looks much better now....tried again with smoke trails.....:banghead::banghead: & really can't think of anything else to shooto_O

it's amazing how much tidying & cleaning I can do when I'm grumpy & I don't have any wine in the house :mad: House looks much better now....tried again with smoke trails.....:banghead::banghead: & really can't think of anything else to shooto_O

So, what's actually going wrong with the smoke photography??

everything...can't focus , don't know how to use the flash & still grumpy about it :grumpy: just about to upload a joker & really p****d about...1st time I think I've ever put a joker in :crying:

I won't prolong your frustration by asking more questions.

You still have a few days. Maybe a other smoke related idea will spring to mind for you to do (y)

Funnily enough, I think the clouds in your joker look like smoke. Nice shot. I am with you on the frustration front. We are all in this together.

I'm sure there are other interpretations of the theme...I'm certainly going to have to come up with something as I still haven't got myself a speedlight....

that sums up my last hour (excluding the house work ) and including Peroni

I dont have a off gun flash, so tried using the ipad as a light box and silver card as a reflector a black back-round, got the smoke in focus but could not get enough light in all i got was the black

need to have a re-think

If it helps, whilst we didn't do a brilliant job (although pretty happy with what we got and liking it more as we see it more) we didn't use flash, or a reflector (we have neither). We used our kitchen lights and no flash and it seemed to be better.

I used my phones led light. Placed it under the incense sick so it shone up through the smoke. It sort of worked and might be worth a go?

When doing smoke photography I find sticking my camera in Manual mode at around 1/125 a second f11. my speed light set at 1/128 which is placed to the right hand side of the smoke using off camera and I use a light to the right hand side of the smoke so I can get my focus sorted. And I find continuous shoot mode my friend, I use a black piece of card blue tacked on to my kitchen wall and that's pretty much my set up for smoke photography.

When doing smoke photography I find sticking my camera in Manual mode at around 1/125 a second f11. my speed light set at 1/128 which is placed to the right hand side of the smoke using off camera and I use a light to the right hand side of the smoke so I can get my focus sorted. And I find continuous shoot mode my friend, I use a black piece of card blue tacked on to my kitchen wall and that's pretty much my set up for smoke photography.

Cheers Mandy .Yup , that sounds like what I was doing...excepting the off camera flash bit as I don't know where to start with that ,Ended up holding it with the camera on trigger cable release & pressing that & the flash at the same time . Couldn't see the smoke well enough to get focus....the only plus side was I got some beautiful black backgrounds & a very clean house !

I've resigned myself to the fact that I am not meant to be able to do this type of shot.....but I'm still grumpy about it ! Don't like quitting or failing at stuff ,goes against my nature......

Cheers Mandy .Yup , that sounds like what I was doing...excepting the off camera flash bit as I don't know where to start with that ,Ended up holding it with the camera on trigger cable release & pressing that & the flash at the same time . Couldn't see the smoke well enough to get focus....the only plus side was I got some beautiful black backgrounds & a very clean house !

I've resigned myself to the fact that I am not meant to be able to do this type of shot.....but I'm still grumpy about it ! Don't like quitting or failing at stuff ,goes against my nature......

Hi Lynne, the flower ones I took were with an 8sec exposure and I fired the flash manually, I also used a torch to light the flower but if youre just doing smoke you might not need it. I stick the incense stick into a small vase and focus in that before lighting then light it and turn the room lights off. I think the flash was set at 1/64 power. How do you get youe camera to fire the flash - slaves/cable?

Hi Lynne, the flower ones I took were with an 8sec exposure and I fired the flash manually, I also used a torch to light the flower but if youre just doing smoke you might not need it. I stick the incense stick into a small vase and focus in that before lighting then light it and turn the room lights off. I think the flash was set at 1/64 power. How do you get youe camera to fire the flash - slaves/cable?

Hi sarah

I have to press the button on the flash unit as no idea on cables or slaves ? Your shots are superb , especially the wine one... :clap:

Hi sarah

I have to press the button on the flash unit as no idea on cables or slaves ? Your shots are superb , especially the wine one... :clap:
Thanks lynne, you need to treat yourself to a slave, we got ours cheap of fleabay some time ago and they have been worth every penny. I'll see if I can find a link for you tomorrow! It's better without cable as you aren't restricted with distance from camera. For the wine glass shot I used one speedlight held to the side (I used a bendy thing to fasten it) and fired using a slave unit. They'd be useful for your water drop pics as well!
Take some incense sticks with you on the meet - if nothing else they'll get rid of the smelly socks smell!!:D

These are the triggers we have

Last edited:
I have an idea to try a smoke photo as I have never done one. But this will be thursday at the earliest this week. Still give me time to read up on different methods and ideas for the smoke source.

Thanks lynne, you need to treat yourself to a slave, we got ours cheap of fleabay some time ago and they have been worth every penny. I'll see if I can find a link for you tomorrow! It's better without cable as you aren't restricted with distance from camera. For the wine glass shot I used one speedlight held to the side (I used a bendy thing to fasten it) and fired using a slave unit. They'd be useful for your water drop pics as well!
Take some incense sticks with you on the meet - if nothing else they'll get rid of the smelly socks smell!!:D

These are the triggers we have

A slave ?.....hmmmmm , as I say , I have no idea on this flash thing.

You have a d7000? Does your flash not work in commander mode?

Quite possibly Alan , but I have no idea what you do with it... & yes , the manual ( I did take a look at it )makes no sense either....anything complicated or technicial like this has me stumped.....natural light I can cope with ( Just)

Sorry Lynne but your tantrums have made me giggle! On the triggers, I had those cheapy ones, couldn't get on with them so threw them in the bin in a rage! My 7D can trigger OCF, I miss that on the 5D!

As for smoke I've stalked a stranger having a tab! Not posted it yet as my hubby's boss is a total eccentric, handlebar tash, crazy sense of dress and smokes a pipe, so going to see if he'll pose! Why don't you try stalking some work colleagues if they smoke?

Quite possibly Alan , but I have no idea what you do with it... & yes , the manual ( I did take a look at it )makes no sense either....anything complicated or technical like this has me stumped.....natural light I can cope with ( Just)

I agree that the manual is not the best for the instructions for using OCF and the d7000 popup flash in commander mode, but I find this site useful and clear http://www.nikoncls.com/index.html ( altho if you do not have one of the flash guns mentioned then I don't know how others work)

I havn't touched my camera this year and need a little challenge to push me to get it out. Would I be able to start now and do 2 a week for the month to catch up to where you guys are?

I havn't touched my camera this year and need a little challenge to push me to get it out. Would I be able to start now and do 2 a week for the month to catch up to where you guys are?

Just come along and dive in with the themes, another member that's new to TP has done just that and taken all 4 themes so far with this weeks theme smoke to do.

Sorry Lynne but your tantrums have made me giggle! On the triggers, I had those cheapy ones, couldn't get on with them so threw them in the bin in a rage! My 7D can trigger OCF, I miss that on the 5D!

As for smoke I've stalked a stranger having a tab! Not posted it yet as my hubby's boss is a total eccentric, handlebar tash, crazy sense of dress and smokes a pipe, so going to see if he'll pose! Why don't you try stalking some work colleagues if they smoke?

:p Moi....tantrums....whatever gave you that idea.... though I can thro a dummy with the best of them :rolleyes: I just get so frustrated when I can't do something that everyone else makes looks so easy :banghead:

Had a rummage in my camera bag & found a widget that attach's to the flash so I can mount it (possibly) on a tripod , god know's when/why I bought it ! Possibly gonna have another try over the weekend...you may hear the bad language in Cyprus :confused:

Don't do people photography ....any shot's I do of people look worse than my normal shots :D

Well after a hectic 10 days at work (had just finished a re-dec job only for the loft tank to split and dump x gallons of water all over my hard work :mad: so long days and evenings spent redoing) I've got an evening free to catch up on some commenting :)
I've still got Bubble to do, that's for Weds and then Sat catch up on Smoke.

I agree that the manual is not the best for the instructions for using OCF and the d7000 popup flash in commander mode, but I find this site useful and clear http://www.nikoncls.com/index.html ( altho if you do not have one of the flash guns mentioned then I don't know how others work)

Cheers Alan....I may give it another go over the weekend if my stress levels have come down ! Too a peek at the flash menu on the D7000....jeez...what's that all about :eek: I admit I struggle to learn from books/tutorials , much better to be shown...but I'll try

Back