All things related to Apple phones & tablets

I use it on an iPad Pro 12.9 and find it really intuitive. I love using the pencil for masking purposes too.

Many thanks for that Adam, I also us an "iPad Pro 12.9" with the keyboard, mouse, and pencil. I've heard mostly good opinions of Lightroom Mbl and just wondered if any folk on TP were using it and their opinions.

Just out of interest.

Does anyone here use "Adobe Lightroom" (paid for version) on their iPad and if so what are your opinions on the software, ie is it worth getting?

I use it these days. I was using OnOne Photo Raw on my MacBook but when I upgraded to the Mac Mini M2 PR kept running out of memory. Not surprising, perhaps, as the MacBook has 32GB while the Mini M2 has 16GB.

So, anyway, I set mine up so that the photos are imported into Lightroom Classic on the Mac Mini, I select some photos to edit which are synced to the iPad (Air 5), I edit them on the iPad and the changes are synced back to Classic, where I take care of DAM, metadata, titling and captioning, and so on.

But to answer your question, I think it's well worth the £8.89 or whatever it is per month just to get all the extra features. But, of course, this is on the iPad Air 5 with an M1 chip and 8GB of RAM. It might suffer on a regular iPad. I should also add that you can have free portfolio websites, which could on their own be worth that price a month to some people.

I use it these days. I was using OnOne Photo Raw on my MacBook but when I upgraded to the Mac Mini M2 PR kept running out of memory. Not surprising, perhaps, as the MacBook has 32GB while the Mini M2 has 16GB.

So, anyway, I set mine up so that the photos are imported into Lightroom Classic on the Mac Mini, I select some photos to edit which are synced to the iPad (Air 5), I edit them on the iPad and the changes are synced back to Classic, where I take care of DAM, metadata, titling and captioning, and so on.

But to answer your question, I think it's well worth the £8.89 or whatever it is per month just to get all the extra features. But, of course, this is on the iPad Air 5 with an M1 chip and 8GB of RAM. It might suffer on a regular iPad. I should also add that you can have free portfolio websites, which could on their own be worth that price a month to some people.

Many thanks for that Garry, my "iPad Pro 12.9" also has the M1 chip and 8GB of RAM I think (I don't have access to it at the moment) so there shouldn't be any problems running the software. Also I'll be getting the latest "iPad Pro" possibly later this very day.

I'm not interested in running Lightroom on my MacBook Pro as I'm trying to get away from working on that as I much prefer working on my iPad with the Magic Keyboard a mouse and the pencil.

I'll almost certainly download the full version of Lightroom Mbl later today when I get back on the seven day free trial and see if it's suitable for me, and if so pay for a years subscription which doesn't seem too bad at about forty nine bucks.

Last edited:
Out of interest how are the newer iPad Pros with working with an external hard drive?
My series 4 iPad Pro is excellent with editing with the Affinity app files on the iPad but downloading (with a dock) raw files from camera memory card to an external drive is painfully slow I gave up trying to do that , I still now use a laptop for transferring files to external drives and editing while I’m away

Last edited:
Out of interest how are the newer iPad Pros with working with an external hard drive?
My series 4 iPad Pro is excellent with editing with the Affinity app files on the iPad but downloading (with a dock) raw files from camera memory card to an external drive is painfully slow I gave up trying to do that , I still now use a laptop for transferring files to external drives and editing while I’m away

My M1 iPad Pro is excellent with running external hard drives, I've had up to three plus an optical mouse connected via a hub without any problems.

My M1 iPad Pro is excellent with running external hard drives, I've had up to three plus an optical mouse connected via a hub without any problems.
Thanks that’s good to know that they have improved the interface for connecting external drives

In case any iPad users missed the news, Affinity now offers a 6-month trial period of their software. Affinity Photo is, IMO, one of the best image editors available for the iPad.

My iPhone SE (mk 1) seems to take photos in some sort of "Live" mode. I can't find any setting to return this to a normal photo mode. I'm sure someone on here knows how! On IOS 15.8.2...

My iPhone SE (mk 1) seems to take photos in some sort of "Live" mode. I can't find any setting to return this to a normal photo mode. I'm sure someone on here knows how! On IOS 15.8.2...
I'm using an XR on iOS 17.5.1, so may have some different options. However, open the Camera, top left corner has an HDR icon (to toggle HDR mode). Next to that is a 'bullseye' icon which toggles the Live option.

Top right of the camera screen, an icon made of a set of concentric circles made of dots?

Wondering if anyone can recommend a basic photo editor for the iPad? Just looking for a basic tool for straightening, cropping adjusting exposure etc whilst away. Prefer something free - or paid for - rather than an endless subscription.

Wondering if anyone can recommend a basic photo editor for the iPad? Just looking for a basic tool for straightening, cropping adjusting exposure etc whilst away. Prefer something free - or paid for - rather than an endless subscription.
Basic editing can be done reasonably well in Photos...

Thanks. I was hoping not to need to import to Photos as RAW files fill up my 128Gb horrifyingly quickly and I have found surprisingly easy to delete those files I didn't intend to.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. If you want to edit the files on your iPad, don't they have to be on your iPad?

I guess that then should have been the primary question. I was hoping that another app could edit the photos from the SD card rather than needing to import first, just bringing over the edits as needed. I guess I have been spoilt with PhotoMechanic on my Mac. If I recall correctly, the thumbnails are pretty small prior to import?

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpeg
    IMG_0389.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Top right of the camera screen, an icon made of a set of concentric circles made of dots?
That does work, as noted above (and thank you)... but resets every time the phone sleeps, so I have to remember to unset Live mode every time I want to take a photo! Does anyone know if there's a way to make it default to... an ordinary photo?

Settings : Camera : Preserve settings : Live photo - set this to On

Hopefully that will work.

That does work, as noted above (and thank you)... but resets every time the phone sleeps, so I have to remember to unset Live mode every time I want to take a photo! Does anyone know if there's a way to make it default to... an ordinary photo?
It doesn’t reset back to Live mode by itself on my XR…

Edit - just checked and Camera: Preserve Settings: Live Photo: was set to ON

Last edited:
It doesn’t reset back to Live mode by itself on my XR…

Edit - just checked and Camera: Preserve Settings: Live Photo: was set to ON
Brilliant, thanks. Just found that setting and adjusted it. So many settings, so many different places!

Double post as I’ve also put this in the WAMT thread, how the hell can I permanently get rid of U2!!!!!!!! I’ve tried everything!

U2 - Songs of Innocence appearing in my music library and auto-playing after yet another iOS update.

Must’ve deleted it a thousand times, and it just keeps coming back, to the point I now absolutely can’t stand U2

For all people harp on about bloatware on Android, I find this a much more irritating issue :headbang:

Double post as I’ve also put this in the WAMT thread, how the hell can I permanently get rid of U2!!!!!!!! I’ve tried everything!

U2 - Songs of Innocence appearing in my music library and auto-playing after yet another iOS update.

Must’ve deleted it a thousand times, and it just keeps coming back, to the point I now absolutely can’t stand U2

For all people harp on about bloatware on Android, I find this a much more irritating issue :headbang:
You can’t get rid of it.

It used to be possible with help from Apple help desk, but as far I can tell, that option no longer exists.

Interesting update to Halide: Process Zero

I've started a 7 day trial as its currently on offer for £10.49 a year (i think it will go up for £20).

Anyone use Halide already? Generally I don't like how 'mushy' iphone photos are, is this the solution?

Public Beta 5 and Developer Beta 7 of iOS (and all the other OSes) are now available. I've been running the public beta on my devices and it has been stable for me.

This is the final beta before the public release goes ahead some time in September (the 10th, possibly), so you might want to wait. Or install it on a non-production device.

Recommendations please for and elasticated watch strap (can't do buckle, clips etc)

I bought a Bezelli one last year for £25 and was pleased with it but it seems to have stretched and is now too loose. I really don't want to spend £99 on the official Apple version

I've seen THESE but would they be any good or that price? At least they're adjustable.

TIA

I got a couple of nylon loop straps from Aliexpress. No buckles just a Velcro like strap. Cannot stretch. They were just a quid or two each and really pleased with them,

Bought a 2024 iPad Air 13" 2 weeks ago, with a Pen. Love it. Only got it for one thing - Art (not photography).

Bought a 2024 iPad Air 13" 2 weeks ago, with a Pen. Love it. Only got it for one thing - Art (not photography).
I use mine for similar, along with a pencil pro. As a leftie it irritates me that the apps I use don't seem to allow you to move the toolbox to the right hand side avoiding constant accidental touching. It infuriates me.

I'm sure you all know it's an "Apple Event" today at (18.00) UK time.

Anyone hoping for something to appear or be significantly upgraded?

I'm impatiently waiting for a new iMac but understand that is unlikely to be mentioned today.
The M3 iMac only came out last year. Would be surprised if they announce an M4 version before next spring.

Rumours abound that they'll replace the whole line up. I'd be happy with an M3 but guessing that the next iteration will be 16Gb standard rather than 8 and hoping that offsets the price rise.

16Gb instead of 8Gb as standard is a spec as opposed to new tech to be announced tonight.

Back