Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

For my twopenny worth I used to have a D750 Nikon, now I have a Canon 6D MK1. Taking some Milky Way shots last week in Dorset I found myself wishing I still had the Nikon.

But I haven't so I'll be concentrating on taking shots the 6d's good at.

I might buy one just so I can justify posting on this thread...

Lol who says you need to own the camera in order to justify posting here?

Not really saying that, I've posted loads here and I don't own one, but would be great to be able to actually give some decent user info on it!

Maybe nobody think its worth the risk...? :D lol
A slightly more plausible reason is that nobody has been able to buy one yet! Amazon UK says they will be released on August 23rd.

I'm on the pre-order list for a handful of them, but I haven't actually parted with any money yet. Does that qualify?

Only when you get them...

Last edited:
I don't remember that. Lots have changed over the last 4 years. Canon have lost the plot it seems.

And Canon as market leader have continued to remain as market leader, I'm sure they don't realise that they could be doing so much better if they followed your advice :thinking:

I'm not suggesting Canon are faultless, but I'll bet the camera does a great job, and it'll sell by the bucketload.

I've said before if I was starting from scratch I'd buy a couple of 750d's, but I'm not starting from scratch, and swapping brands would cost me thousands for a difference my customers would never notice.

Cameras are tools or toys, only a tiny minority of people care about the b****x that fills forum posts as if it's the only stuff that matters.

I thought the price would drop by Christmas but a week later it's already dropped by £300 on Amazon! For Amazon to be stocking it they must have huge volumes. Pile em high flog em cheap! Seen another reviewer on YouTube say the new sensor is noisier at low ISO and more concerning was the fact the mki had better skin tones compared to the mkii.

It will be interesting to see what price it will be at Christmas. I think we should have a sweepstake, I'm guessing £1300.

Aggressively competitive Amazon trying to put smaller businesses out of the market permanently by undercutting them, what a shocker...

Looking at the thread on FM forums, the owners are happy with the 6D2 , quite a good high iso performer, im sure it will sell well for canon.

Ive got a 5D4 love it, but i had a 5D3 for about 3 years, cant say the poor dynamic range on that bothered me.

Amazon are selling for £1,999.00 at the time of posting. You save 0.99p though.

Hi, I'm new to the forum but thought I'd chip in. Got my 6D Mark ii the day it came out. Have been playing about with it on holiday so I haven't yet seen what the images are like on the computer but It works nicely in low light. Took my first ever pics of the Milky Way and couldn't even see the Milkyway with my own eyes. Have taken some high contrast scenes to see what the dynamic range is like and this played on my mind before I bought it, but then realised I will usually have my filters with me anyway so not too worried. I know this doesn't cover all occasions but does for what I need it for. Certainly everything seems better than my 60d!

Indeed welcome.

It will be better than a crop sensor body due to being FF.

Looking forward to you posting the Milky Way shots here

Yes it will be nice to see some real user shots.:)

1751 on Amazon now. No stock though.
It just goes to show how little impact the negativity surrounding this camera has on the average buyer. The Canon brand name is a very powerful advertising weapon.

That's because Phil V hit the nail on the head in post #414

It just goes to show how little impact the negativity surrounding this camera has on the average buyer. The Canon brand name is a very powerful advertising weapon.
Depends how much stock they had, and how many Canon have actually shipped ;) It's not unusual to release in small numbers to keep a waiting list (y)

Actually don't think Amazon have had stock since was announced as it's been on my watch list since the start.

Anyway, Kennny Rockwell loves it* and he manages to sell anything to everyone.

*he also recommends the 28-300 and 18-200 over any other zooms so errr

I still want to try it though!

That is the benefit the big brands have when they mix and match features on cameras lower down their ranges, not every camera can have all the features after all, or they would only sell one camera. ;) Canon are obviously used to iterating cameras with new features but the same sensor, as they did for many years with the 18Mp crop sensor, but that was with cameras that maybe were released every year, and maybe a bottom and mid range camera released in the same year with the same sensor, so improvements were slow and incremental.

When a camera range is released only every 2-5 years though there should be big increase in sensor performance imho, and neglecting the sensor may work in the short term for the less well informed because of the name, word may eventually filter through though that this may not be the better deal over the 5 year old previous model. You would think Canon know what they are doing, they are number one after all, but it doesn't mean they are immune from making mistakes. Just that their 'name' may get them sales, and maybe with the higher range cameras people may feel they are 'locked' into Canon with the lenses they have, but it doesn't mean they will upgrade, which is what you would want your current owners of the previous model. Some current owners have indicated they may not upgrade in this thread already, and they maybe more 'informed' than the entry level users. For those owners the reviews and testing will be very important.

It will be interesting to see the reviews, tests and user experiences as they appear, advertising and reputation can only do so much if the product doesn't live up to expectations. :popcorn: Time will tell. ;)

The folk on here who may be considering upgrading will look at the reviews and DXOMARK etc in trying to make up their mind. For many many other folk it's just a camera from Canon and therefore it must be pretty decent. That's all they will need to know to buy.

The Camera Club I belong to runs a Summer school for beginners and less experienced people. People turn up with nice cameras and lenses, far above what you might expect a beginner to have. If you ask them why they bought it you might hear "oh so and so has one and his pics are great so I bought one".

With no disrespect to them the terms Dynamic Range , ISO sensitivity etc are just words. They have had no bearing on their decision to buy the camera.

And so Canon will probably sell loads of these. It'll be worse in some respects, better in others but for many it will be perfect.

Last edited:
Just like apple. Just sell whatever and people will buy. It's best to stick to a company on the rise rather then someone who's number one as a company on the rise will innovate as much as possible. Apple and canon where one day like this.

Back