Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

This thread is interesting discussion on 6D2. A friend of mind has a 6D1 and will not be buying a 6D2 as it just does not have enough bang for buck. I have an APSC sensor EOS 7D1 and would love a FF DSLR as I sometimes go to local gigs which are very low light venues.
My 7D struggles at the gig venue and though I do have a f2.8 lens that is only at the shortest focal length ( 17mm from a sigma 17-70 DC macro mk1 ) so a FF would be great. The 6D1 is a bit limiting for gigs with AF points clustered in the centre and low FPS, lack of joy stick really annoys me as I use it alot on the 7D1. Plus no pop up flash at all !
Even the 6D2 has no pop up flash.
Even though I own 2 speedlites I can not always take them with me, so some fill light is very handy.
For me a FF entry level DSLR needs to alot cheaper than than the current RRP. We all know that the RRP will come down in the next 6 months. Even so I still think it is a tad too expensive for me. The up side is I do use canon EF lens on my 7D1 and only have one lens that is for the APSC sensor size camera body.

Sony is viable alternative and even with the issues of the adaptors to connect EF lens to the E mount Sony body. All I will be spending on is a new camera body. The A7, A9, A6300, A6500 do have very good dynamic range and high bit rate raw files. I own a Sony NEX5R an APSC sensor size mirrorless in a point and shoot size body. The video is very good as it shoots in AVCHD format with AF tracking ( though not as fast as current cameras ) of which my 7D1 is manual.
All I want to do is take one camera with to gigs, on holiday ( as for Europe I mainly also go cabin hand luggage only ) , airshows, portrait shoots, landscape shoots etc.
The Sony A7 range and the expensive A9 offer that option and what puts me of is the menu system. Changing setting quickly is difficult from my personal experience and from watching YouTube videos. The A6000, A6300 and A6500 should all be touch screen and are not ! ! !
Why not Sony ! !
So either I am hopping that the 7Diii is worth the spend for an upgrade, A7 mk3 comes out with improved menu update or A6700 has touch screen and good dynamic range !

Last edited:
This thread is interesting discussion on 6D2. A friend of mind has a 6D1 and will not be buying a 6D2 as it just does not have enough bang for buck. I have an APSC sensor EOS 7D1 and would love a FF DSLR as I sometimes go to local gigs which are very low light venues.
My 7D struggles at the gig venue and though I do have a f2.8 lens that is only at the shortest focal length ( 17mm from a sigma 17-70 DC macro mk1 ) so a FF would be great. The 6D1 is a bit limiting for gigs with AF points clustered in the centre and low FPS, lack of joy stick really annoys me as I use it alot on the 7D1.
For me a FF entry level DSLR needs to alot cheaper than than the current RRP. We all know that the RRP will come down in the next 6 months. Even so I still think it is a tad too expensive for me. The up side is I do use canon EF lens on my 7D1 and only have one lens that is for the APSC sensor size camera body.

Sony is viable alternative and even with the issues of the adaptors to connect EF lens to the E mount Sony body. All I will be spending on is a new camera body. The A7, A9, A6300, A6500 do have very good dynamic range and high bit rate raw files. I own a Sony NEX5R an APSC sensor size mirrorless in a point and shoot size body. The video is very good as it shoots in AVCHD format with AF tracking ( though not as fast as current cameras ) of which my 7D1 is manual.
All I want to do is take one camera with to gigs, on holiday ( as for Europe I mainly also go cabin hand luggage only ) , airshows, portrait shoots, landscape shoots etc.
The Sony A7 range and the expensive A9 offer that option and what puts me of is the menu system. Changing setting quickly is difficult from my personal experience and from watching YouTube videos. The A6000, A6300 and A6500 should all be touch screen and are not ! ! !
Why not Sony ! !
So either I am hopping that the 7Diii is worth the spend for an upgrade, A7 mk3 comes out with improved menu update or A6700 has touch screen and good dynamic range !
Dont mention SONY HERE!

The 6d mk1 is plenty good enough fo concert photography. Just use the centre focus point and recompose. I've done this for years. And you don't need to machine gun it at concerts

My 7D struggles at the gig venue and though I do have a f2.8 lens that is only at the shortest focal length ( 17mm from a sigma 17-70 DC macro mk1 ) so a FF would be great. The 6D1 is a bit limiting for gigs with AF points clustered in the centre and low FPS, lack of joy stick really annoys me as I use it alot on the 7D1. Plus no pop up flash at all !
Even the 6D2 has no pop up flash.
Even though I own 2 speedlites I can not always take them with me, so some fill light is very handy.

Why not Sony ! !

Hmmm. The 6d mk1 is perfect for gigs!

One of these days - someone will actually own one. Then we can start the real discussions :)

You guys are arguing the toss so much you forget what your argument is.

More like you missed my point as others did.

No point was missed, lol! You corrected me on something you completely misread. Twice. Despite being directed to re read it. Or was it three times? Anyway, the moments gone now.

The way I read it was jonney said if you have a canon crop sensor and own exclusively efs lenses the cost difference between upgrading to a canon full frame or a different manufacturers full frame is negated by the fact you have to buy new lenses anyway.

You then spoke about your specific case of already owning crop bodies and full frame bodes and use full frame lenses on both, therefore missing he point.

The way I read it was jonney said if you have a canon crop sensor and own exclusively efs lenses the cost difference between upgrading to a canon full frame or a different manufacturers full frame is negated by the fact you have to buy new lenses anyway.

You then spoke about your specific case of already owning crop bodies and full frame bodes and use full frame lenses on both, therefore missing he point.
Well said

Not exactly. You've hugely embellished his post [emoji23]

He said

Yea i would not bother with a 6d2 and either save more for a 5d4 or jump ship. If you are looking to jump into ff for the first time. You can afford to switch Imo. Assuming you have been using crop canon body and lenses (***which u will have to all get rid if anyway as u need a FF body and lenses***)

I asked why you'd need to get rid of the crop bodies and lenses. Reasoning as a) the bodies still work beautifully with FF lenses and b) the crop lenses will still work fine with the crop body. Which he never explained.

But anyway, I thought we'd moved on from that?

Last edited:
Not exactly.

He said

I asked why you'd need to get rid of the crop bodies and lenses. Reasoning as a) the bodies still work beautifully with FF lenses and b) the crop lenses will still work fine with the crop body.
It's not wrong to assume when someone shoots crop they also use crop lenses.

It's not wrong to assume when someone shoots crop they also use crop lenses.

But a huge assumption wouldn't you admit? Shooting crops I only had 2 EFS lenses, the other 10 were FF lenses.

And some people would probably keep their cropped bodies anyway, as I have done.

Come on, let's forget it anyway and let all the 6d2 owners talk about the camera...

Last edited:
Seems to be very few owners on the forums. I guess we aren't the target market. Might have to move this discussion to the comments on Amazon! :D

Maybe it would be better for someone to start a Canon 6d2 ACTUAL owners thread.........
I don't think many forum owners even buy new gear when it's released as ice seen on both 5d4 and a9 threads where not many bought those. I think if you revisit this thread in 3 months time there will more owners then

The 80d 5div and 1dxii don't 'struggle' but none of them really compete with the Sony sensors abilities. Even the best Canon sensors are still behind the curve.

Where there's a tiny negative score for DR at base ISO but at higher ISOs it becomes a positive...

Some people choose to summarise that as failing.

The internet is brilliant, people can be convinced that running the economy is exactly the same as balancing the household budget and that a market leader isn't trying to make the best products it can.

Yes Canon choose not to add some features to differentiate within the range, but IQ has never been part of that strategy. Look at the number of cameras that had the same sensor as the 7d.

On the whole I think a lot of people here are agreeing, just semantics is getting in the way.

I have long said people can't have their cake and eat it. There is always a cost/feature connection. I think you are saying within the price canon are prepared to sell it for the camera is as good as it can be.

Why the behaviour with the sensor is getting to a few people is from past experience of the previous model. I understand the points about canons being better at high ISO suiting various genres that operate up there.

But, the 6d had a slightly better sensor than the 5d3 but missed out on autofocus, dual slots, fps and joystick for example that made the 5d3 better for action.

However the 6d was lighter cheaper and had at least as good IQ. This makes it an ideal landscape camera.

So, the landscape guys know the old d750 is better as a landscape tool but the 5d4 comes along nearly catching up with low ISO DR. Knowing the 6d was at least as good as the 5d3 sensor wise I know I was getting excited that it could be canons best landscape camera yet.

Lighter, cheaper, articulated screen and getting close to Sony sensor base ISO DR. But with the excellent usability of a canon with awesome lenses.

Why people, admittedly from a certain niche are confused is because the patten has changed.

I'm done arguing about it on a forum though. Obviously everyone here are experts in their own way on canons marketing decisions. All I can do is vote with my wallet and not buy a 6d2. I am a canon fanboy, I wanted one but I'll be sticking with my Sony's thanks.

Do you have a single picture of your own that you made yourself to demonstrate anything you say ?
Once again the 'camera collector' opens his gob and swallows his entire size 9 in one go.

Jonny might have some reading and comprehension difficulties, but his photography is more than 'up to scratch'.

Whereas we only have a single out of focus underexposed shot of yours.:thinking:

Once again the 'camera collector' opens his gob and swallows his entire size 9 in one go.

Jonny might have some reading and comprehension difficulties, but his photography is more than 'up to scratch'.

Whereas we only have a single out of focus underexposed shot of yours.:thinking:

I suppose the bee is all out of focus is it Phil ? You do a better bee with a kit lens and 4 year old crop sensor or shut up.

RAW1-41.jpg

I suppose the bee is all out of focus is it Phil ? You do a better bee with a kit lens and 4 year old crop sensor or shut up.
In 30 years I've never shot a bee, not once and it's a long time since I've owned a kit lens, so I suppose I don't do 'photography', as I don't behave exactly like you.

All those people that pay me to shoot must be bloody idiots :confused:

Nice bee shot, but why is it hiding?

Risking the wrath of Phil, the bee's bloody sharp though. The green bit does nothing for it mind you. Not keen on the background either. The petals are a little overexposed too but not an easy subject and colour combo.

The highlights on the petals are blown though :p

I tried to take it back a bit but I got that dull look if you know what I mean. I had to expose it a little high because the bee is jet black

Cheers for the compliment. Think I've seen some of your pics too and loved some of it. Lots of u guys take great images

Maybe the OP could rename this thread so we can start a new one? The simple words 'not the' at the start of the title might help, lol!

Maybe the OP could rename this thread so we can start a new one? The simple words 'not the' at the start of the title might help, lol!
I've already asked the mods to rename this to the "Canon 6D Mk 2 non-owners speculation thread" but apparently they disagreed.

Back