Capture a stranger street style : Part 2

Dan, I really like those rain shots.

This is probably the one and only street shot I've taken, not anywhere near the standard of the shots on here.

Nice framing, the uprights are upright, a good leading line in from the bottom-right, and a nice group. Not as bad as you might be thinking. And as for shooting street, you'll probably soon find that most people aren't as interested in you as they are in themselves, or as you are in them. They might notice you when you turn up but if you don't do anything straight away, they'll forget you're there. A 50mm f/1.8 to f/2.8 is nice for street, or 35mm if you want to go a bit wider. I tend to either use my 18-55 kit lens or my 55-200 if people are too far away.

New to this thread, here's a couple

New to the thread, but not to street photography, I'll bet.

Dan, I really like those rain shots.

Nice framing, the uprights are upright, a good leading line in from the bottom-right, and a nice group. Not as bad as you might be thinking. And as for shooting street, you'll probably soon find that most people aren't as interested in you as they are in themselves, or as you are in them. They might notice you when you turn up but if you don't do anything straight away, they'll forget you're there. A 50mm f/1.8 to f/2.8 is nice for street, or 35mm if you want to go a bit wider. I tend to either use my 18-55 kit lens or my 55-200 if people are too far away.

New to the thread, but not to street photography, I'll bet.
Actually a very rare adventure into this genre, i'll have to try some more.

Would really like to have a go at street photography but feel very self conscious waving my camera about at strangers, and standing way back with a zoom isn't really ideal either as you look even more conspicuous!

Any tips, or is it just a matter of getting out there and taking shots and try not to worry what people think?

Also what do people recommend as a preferred setup for this kind of photography? Prime lens or a small zoom eg 14-42?

This is probably the one and only street shot I've taken, not anywhere near the standard of the shots on here.

Lunch in the sun
by Soggs, on Flickr
"Ideal" is what you are comfortable with. Don't let someone tell you that the way you choose to get the shot is somehow wrong. Way back when street photography was getting started they did not have the lens technology that we do now and they also did not shoot in color (which is much harder to do). So all to often you hear the so called experts saying you have to shoot a 50mm prime in black and white to be true street. BS,, shoot what gets the shot. I use the Canon 70-200II and love it. I can compress the shot and also compose the shot because of the distance between us rather than just pointing it real fast at the subject and hoping it all turns out okay. That's just what I like, you may like something else. It doesn't matter because there are no rules in street photography. If you haven't tried a long lens try it, you might just end up loving it.

As Marcus says, it's a colleague - however I was snapping away for ages trying different angles.. and he didn't notice at all!!

Hi Dan, what is your lens choice? and do you shoot Auto? on camera, only asking because if you are on manual, do you have to re-compose for each individual shot? re:- changing light, movement etc.

No problem,its just the nature of say street or even photojournalism that sometimes things get in the way,i am one of the old timer and never crop :)

Just my opinion but I think what you said here is the whole point in need to crop. In street I find that the crop is crucial to good composition because very often you have to take the shoot fast before you have had time to properly compose.

Hi Dan, what is your lens choice? and do you shoot Auto? on camera, only asking because if you are on manual, do you have to re-compose for each individual shot? re:- changing light, movement etc.

I looked up the shot above and he shot it with a 35mm prime in manual mode. Manual is tricky if you are moving around. I use aperture priority and find much easier to concentrate on the subjects that way.

I looked up the shot above and he shot it with a 35mm prime in manual mode. Manual is tricky if you are moving around. I use aperture priority and find much easier to concentrate on the subjects that way.

I use auto iso, aperture priority doesn't allow me to set high min shutter speeds that I like for taking photos whilst on the move. I don't have to pay attention to settings once set up like this

I use auto iso, aperture priority doesn't allow me to set high min shutter speeds that I like for taking photos whilst on the move. I don't have to pay attention to settings once set up like this

So set for auto iso, and let the camera do the rest?

So set for auto iso, and let the camera do the rest?

Set f8 for focus depth
A shutter speed between 1\400 - 1\1000, I have been trying to find a minimum value I can get away with whilst sometimes still moving.
Then auto iso to make up for the rest, since I use a 5dm3 iso is handled well.

I really do not like auto iso. It's better on my 5DIII then it is on my 7D or 600D but it makes some bad choices from my experience. For instance, lets say you have it on aperture priority and auto iso. The camera will take shots at 1200iso with a shutter speed of 600. That's not even close to a practical set up. I mean the point is that a much lower iso could be used if it slowed down the shutter. This happened over and over. There were some correct setting chosen but I saw way to many situations like this for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

In aperture mode I set min shutter speed up to 1/250 it does not raise iso until it reaches
it.

In manual I set shutter and aperture, auto iso. just means I cannot exposure compensate in this mode.

Magic lantern auto exposure seemed like a good idea but it played up, and was not reliable

In aperture mode I set min shutter speed up to 1/250 it does not raise iso until it reaches
it.

In manual I set shutter and aperture, auto iso. just means I cannot exposure compensate in this mode.

Magic lantern auto exposure seemed like a good idea but it played up, and was not reliable

I probably need to re-explore this. I like the idea of setting the fstop and shutter without worrying about the exposure getting screwed up. In priority modes you don't have as much control. But none of this will matter if it goes with a overly high iso while in auto iso like it did before. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Love the train shot as well. And that first Scarborough shot especially works for me. I like that angle.

Hi Dan, Up to your usual high standard, I really like the train or is it a bus shot. Great stuff.(y)

Hi David, A really nice set of street shots I think this sort of thing works very well in B&W.(y)

Nothing against your shots but I refuse to shoot people with phones. I have only done it one time that I actually likes the shot. To me a person staring into it as if they where brain dead to the world is nothing I want to record. Unless she is hot of course. (Refer to my Flickr) lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

did you now? :D hah
Ok ok that shot of the man with the Leica or the Girl looking at you was you taking it on my camera :)

That reminds me I also have some shots of a handsome fellow in a black top with a huge camera :p

Back