Clarkson suspended by the BBC, TG taken off air.

And it was.
The police asked if the victim wished and criminal charges to be brought and he declined.
That IMO should mean civil charges can't be pursued, but sadly it doesn't.
I believe I and others said at the time that the little money grubber would take this route down the line, and voila.

You certainly like to hedge your bets! Didn't you also agree that it was all just a publicity stunt?

Quite possibly when it first emerged, yes.
But once it became apparent that wasn't the case, I was pretty clear in my opinion on him only being out for a bit of wedge.
And oh look.......

He might have retained a little credibility had he pressed charges, but as it is he's got no more than some Berk suing because their coffee was hot.

Quite possibly when it first emerged, yes.
But once it became apparent that wasn't the case, I was pretty clear in my opinion on him only being out for a bit of wedge.
And oh look.......

He might have retained a little credibility had he pressed charges, but as it is he's got no more than some Berk suing because their coffee was hot.

Can't you think of any good reasons why he didn't press charges?

Enlighten us.

I can't answer on your behalf, I'm just trying to understand your thinking.

Firstly you thought it was a ploy for publicity.
Now you think it's a ploy for "compo".

I'm wondering what's next? :D

Last edited:
I can't answer on your behalf, I'm just trying to understand your thinking.

Firstly you thoughr it was a ploy for publicity.
Now you think it's a ploy for "compo".

I'm wondering what's next? :D

Incorrect.
On day one I agreed that it may be a publicity stunt...it wouldn't have been a first for TG.
When it became apparent it wasn't (what, a day later at most?), I said he'd sue.
It's not a " now " opinion.
He's simply proved me correct.

Incorrect.
On day one I agreed that it may be a publicity stunt...it wouldn't have been a first for TG.
When it became apparent it wasn't (what, a day later at most?), I said he'd sue.
It's not a " now " opinion.
He's simply proved me correct.

Sure he's suing, but why be so cynical about everything?

Last edited:
Because if we're wrong, it comes as a pleasant surprise! ;) :p

Can't you think of any good reasons why he didn't press charges?
So he doesn't look like a money grabbing little s*t?

Honestly, with all of the problems in the world does this case really deserve a seconds time in any court of law? One self important and slightly mad luvvie slapped a precious little luvvie over a row in a hotel over a plate of cold food and perrsonally I couldn't care less about two BBC luvvies slinging handbags about either in hotels or in court. They should both be told to grow up, shut up and go away and **** themselves and stop looking like a couple of precious little BBC twits.

Last edited:
So he doesn't look like a money grabbing little s*t?

Honestly, with all of the problems in the world does this case really deserve a seconds time in any court of law? One self important and slightly mad luvvie slapped a precious little luvvie over a row in a hotel over a plate of cold food and perrsonally I couldn't care less about two BBC luvvies slinging handbags about either in hotels or in court. They should both be told to grow up, shut up and go away and **** themselves and stop looking like a couple of precious little BBC twits.

Lol. Fortunately, the law doesn't work quite like that.

I doubt this trio is going to cause any sleepless nights in the Clarkson/Hammond/May camp.

Chris Evans has unveiled his 'Top Gear' presenting team.

The BBC Radio 2 DJ - who signed a three year deal to host the show after Jeremy Clarkson was sacked for punching a producer earlier this year - has reportedly hired German racing driver Sabine Schmitz, motoring journalist Chris Harris and Formula 1 star David Coulthard to present alongside him.

An insider told The Sun newspaper: "Sabine and Chris are virtually unknown to the wider public, and David isn't the most charismatic driver."

Schmitz, 46 - who is a formed driver for BMW and a TV presenter - has appeared on 'Top Gear' twice before, while Harris has written for motoring magazines and fronted a YouTube series on cars.

The show is undergoing a revamp following the departure of Clarkson and his colleagues James May and Richard Hammond, who are now set to present a new car show on Amazon Prime.

News of Evans' co-hosts comes after it was revealed executive producer Lisa Clark quit this week after just five months while script editor Tom Ford is to leave at the end of his contract.

https://www.list.co.uk/article/77344...esenting-team/

We have to remember that Hammond and May were complete unknowns, the entertainment is based on the relationships. Let's see how it goes.

I'm just going by the fact it's 3 dour racing drivers, DC was a good driver but hardly a sparkling personality and is unlikely to be thrilled with driving the Amazon in a beaten up 4wd, or building a bridge over the River Cock, (same for Sabine Schmidt, and probably Chris Harris from what I've seen of them) . I suspect it's going to be a "These are the wheel nuts, make sure they are really tight" technical drone with the occasional bit of Chris Evans "humour".

God, I hope I'm wrong...

Quite like the idea of Sabine! I'm sure she raced a Transit van around the Nurburgring very quickly. She could be fun - I know fun and German don't normally go together

Chris Harris is a reasonably well known journalist who has recently turned his hands to presenting on Youtube and does quite well. Sabine is well respected as a driver, and has shown that she has a sense of humour when she has appeared on TG before in guest roles.

Out of those three, it may be that Chris Evans turns out to be the weakest element...

And given the more relaxed format of TG compared to commentating on F1, maybe he will relax.

Hammond, May and Clarkson were all unknown entities before Top Gear. Clarkson and May had roles on magazines, Hammonds background was radio.

I suppose I am biased because I was getting a little tired of the top gear trio's laborious efforts at making a comedy show. I'm a true car enthusiast having owned many focused toys in my time, very excited at the prospect of this new line up.

Just to caveat that ... I hope it doesn't become a 5th Gear!

Last edited:
Better than it trying to ape the old TG format. Much as I enjoy seeing the expensive stuff being thrashed, it would be nice to see some real cars being tested in more real life situations.

We have to remember that Hammond and May were complete unknowns, the entertainment is based on the relationships. Let's see how it goes.
Exactly how I feel about that. I'll give them the benefit of doubt but can't see it at the moment.

Sabine is my favourite of that lot. Can't stand either Chris, and always thought of David as boring. But then again I didn't like James and Richard either but some how it worked.

Anyway, it's all better for us as now we've got two top gears :)

I'm just going by the fact it's 3 dour racing drivers, DC was a good driver but hardly a sparkling personality and is unlikely to be thrilled with driving the Amazon in a beaten up 4wd, or building a bridge over the River Cock, (same for Sabine Schmidt, and probably Chris Harris from what I've seen of them) . I suspect it's going to be a "These are the wheel nuts, make sure they are really tight" technical drone with the occasional bit of Chris Evans "humour".

God, I hope I'm wrong...
For once :p :) I think you are right (y)

Quite like the idea of Sabine! I'm sure she raced a Transit van around the Nurburgring very quickly. She could be fun - I know fun and German don't normally go together

....German F1 champion Seb Vettel is hilarious - He has a far better sense of humour than David Coulthard (which perhaps isn't too difficult!).

Chris Harris is my favourite car reviewer so I'm very happy about that.

Last edited:
Sounds like 5th gear meets TGIF. Will it attract or alienate both audiences?

....As someone with petrol in their veins I think it will attract both audiences. People like me will doubtless have a preference for one over the other but those preferences change. Over the years there have been times when I have much preferred Top Gear and other times when I have preferred Fifth Gear. I particularly like the latest series of Fifth Gear at the moment.

Much as I enjoyed and could relate to the schoolboy antics of Messrs Clarkson, Hammond, and May, the joke got very tired and overworked. it remains to be seen what the new presentation team do but I hope they don't try and imitate JC's team. Banter is good whoever is doing it.

The Top Gear A-Z programme with John Bishop (part 1 was on last night) showed just how good it was, I was surprised that the BBC allowed it to be shown, especially with all the favourable comments made by some of the stars who appeared over the years like "Clarkson, Hammond and May made the program, they were Top Gear".

A cynical person may say it's to keep the interest alive so it's not all but forgotten about by the time Chris Evans comes up with a new series.

A cynical person may say it's to keep the interest alive so it's not all but forgotten about by the time Chris Evans comes up with a new series.

That was my initial thought, but the content ended up as more of an advert for the new Amazon show.

May was on a channel 4 motoring program Driven before he went o top gear.

I used to watch driven. That was really good as they used to do sensible car tests but in a fun way and the people doing it seems to get on well and have a good laugh. The jelly test was always my favourite.

Forgotten James May was on that.

This was a surprise.

_88094477_topgear2_976bbc.jpg

Former Friends star Matt LeBlanc is to be one of the new presenters of Top Gear when the motoring programme returns to BBC Two in May.

The US actor will be the show's first non-British host in its 39-year history.

"Matt's a lifelong fellow petrolhead and I'm thrilled he's joining Top Gear," said Chris Evans of his new on-screen colleague.

Additional Top Gear cast members will be confirmed shortly, the BBC said.

"As a car nut and a massive fan of Top Gear, I'm honoured and excited to be a part of this iconic show's new chapter," said LeBlanc. "What a thrill!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35490238

It's going to be a train wreck.

It's going to be a train wreck.

Agree, the BBC have completely lost the plot. They have failed to realise that the show was successful because of the chemistry of three middle aged blokes messing about. Many people watched it because of the general baffonary.

Back