DPOTY 2024 - Chat thread

I've done my time, I've paid my taxes, I've failed to pay into national insurance for only two weeks in my entire working life, I deserve to do sweet FA, or whatever else I want, in my Autumn years, so there!
I’m nearly there with you Martin.

I've done my time too (45 years in software development etc) and receive my state pensions etc, but still working through choice more or less, hoping to reduce to part time but currently too busy. I like the people I work with, I'm working at home, and the work is just challenging enough to keep me interested. Just a pity I don't have as much time as I like for going out togging.

I've done my time, I've paid my taxes, I've failed to pay into national insurance for only two weeks in my entire working life, I deserve to do sweet FA, or whatever else I want, in my Autumn years, so there!

I'm looking forward to retirement in a couple of years - my turn will come!

In fairness, while retirement does have some advantages, being old is not all it's cracked up to be. Arthritis, enlarged prostate (ask King Charles, or me for that matter), increased travel insurance costs (over 70 usually, so this year for me), and hearing about all the people you grew up with on the TV dying at an age that is just not as far away from your own as you would like.

On the up side, if you have a pension you can live on, you have the freedom to what you like, when you like. Acquiring the attitude that goes: "f**k it, I want it, I want to do it, so I'm damn well going to"; that last one is a good one, probably my favourite.

I retired early, aged 62, although had to wait for my state pension, which didn't arrive until I was 66 years and 10 months (a strange figure really), so lived on savings and a small Air Force pension; It was the best thing I've done in years, I have so many things to do, I wonder how I managed to get anything done at all while I was still working.

I'm 62 right now, and changes with work are making me really want to just stop, but I'm concerned about finances if I stop earning so soon.

Well you know what they say about old age? It doesn’t last long.

TBH I have mixed feelings about this, having watched my mother age and her world become increasingly narrow until she finally died in 2022. It's given me a very strong sense of one-way ticket and how little time might be left.

TBH I have mixed feelings about this, having watched my mother age and her world become increasingly narrow until she finally died in 2022. It's given me a very strong sense of one-way ticket and how little time might be left.

It's why you have to go for it (whatever it might be) now, waste no time, if you are thinking of doing it, do it now, tomorrow may be too late. I just got over a cancer scare and that's taken the brakes off my life, that's for sure.

Getting back onto the DPOTY topic (HINT), I submitted mine after another early outing with the dog and the little Pentaxes (Q and Q7). Although I posted the entry, I was disappointed by the amount of noise in what I shot due to the combination of low light at sunrise and very small sensor. Still, they are nice little cameras and certainly handy, pocket sized, with a small range of lenses, a niche thing for us Pentax fanboys!

Yes, I see the noise, in the trees mostly but you have to blow it up on Flickr to really see it, which isn't the point of course. I tend to look only at the images when voting and don't do any pixel-peeping at all. It cetainly screams Winter, I feel cold just looking at it.

yep, I thought exactly the same as @ShinySideUp.
Look up Japanese photographer Daidō Moriyama. Most of his photos are blurred, under/over exposed, but the subject is strong and the rest is really not important to the viewer

Pretty much missed the one day of winter we had here on the Southcoast so shoehorned an entry for Winter.

Nice shot @Gav. All I have out the back is mud and twigs from the storms...nothing growing yet lol
Cheers Adam, we have half a dozen Daff's and a tulip on the way, think it's the wet and mild weather with odd cold snap triggering early flowering this year.

Sat staring at 4 slightly different shots for my DPOTY submission. Started the morning staring at 13 so I'm moving in the right direction. Anyone else narrowing in on theirs today?

I'm hoping to, but not really happy with anything I've taken for this.

OK another year, another challenge! Hopefully I'll get close to 12 entries this year. First one is in. Not the image I was hoping for, but the ice was too thin last weekend for the snow polo games to take place so this was a backup from December.

Last day for entries folks - quite a few of last year's participants have not yet entered, but hopefully they will - if not today then next month?

Ok, so I've taken the plunge and submitted a photo for this month.
I said I wasn't going to partake in this year's challenge because of my ill health, but just of late, I've been feeling a lot better. So I'm going to give it a go.

Ok, so I've taken the plunge and submitted a photo for this month.
I said I wasn't going to partake in this year's challenge because of my ill health, but just of late, I've been feeling a lot better. So I'm going to give it a go.
Good to hear, good to see you joining in again too (y)

Excellent Dominic, as much as you can manage would be welcome

Very late entry from me, left it till the last minute incase the weather got a bit more wintery but it just stayed cold and wet.
Early on in January I attempted to make winter just in case I didn't get a chance. I can only apologise for the result.

Looks OK to me.

Very late entry from me, left it till the last minute incase the weather got a bit more wintery but it just stayed cold and wet.
Early on in January I attempted to make winter just in case I didn't get a chance. I can only apologise for the result.

It's a good idea - nothing to apologise for.

@lindsay could you elaborate on non black and white monochrome? Would that be just the selected color at different intensities including black, as that would be zero intensity? Presumably not white as that would need other color tones? Sorry for the dumb question!

the idea is just monochrome, which could be black and white or it could be blue and white etc, ie a monochromatic image. Don’t overthink it but (I suggest) look up monochrome in a thesaurus for example to see if that triggers any ideas . It could equally be exactly as you and Gav have suggested, multiple shades of a specific colour

My understanding is Monochrome is an image made of one colour in varying shades.
This:agree:
Monochrome is from the Greek word Mono+Chroma (μονοχρωμία). It litterally means one colour.
The only thing is that White and Black is not really a colour.
So its an image containing only tones (Values or shades or how dark or light the colour looks) of a single color (or colour or chroma whatever you want to call it).
So basically one colour, or no colour plus black and white.
I hope it makes sense.

This:agree:
Monochrome is from the Greek word Mono+Chroma (μονοχρωμία). It litterally means one colour.
The only thing is that White and Black is not really a colour.
So its an image containing only tones (Values or shades or how dark or light the colour looks) of a single color (or colour or chroma whatever you want to call it).
So basically one colour, or no colour plus black and white.
I hope it makes sense.
I wasn’t sure about white… as that would need other tones not just the selected color, no? I’m probably over thinking it.

I wasn’t sure about white… as that would need other tones not just the selected color, no? I’m probably over thinking it.
_3fd5482f-2ee0-4205-9068-010ae59fe421.jpeg
_32187054-14c3-46f8-9c94-1e1369604db2.jpeg
_ea2d9596-7f28-44fd-8c3c-7bf135b7385f.jpeg
Tim I I’m not sure I understand the question, I’m sorry it’s a complicated subject and I’m no expert.
There’s 3 examples of what is a monochromatic image, green red and blue. I hope it helps.
the images are ai generated so no copyright issues
By the way the picture you submitted(winter theme) was lovely

Attachments

• _32187054-14c3-46f8-9c94-1e1369604db2.jpeg
    _32187054-14c3-46f8-9c94-1e1369604db2.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back