High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

For those of you with the RX10.

Anyone using an L bracket? If so, which one?

I’m seeing lots of cheap stuff on eBay. I’ve looked at 3-legged thing, but it would have to be a generic one.

I tried the 3TL one from my other camera, but it’s definitely not going to work. I like the quality, but I’d rather have something that fits around the battery compartment and the existing attachment points.

Also, I have a Yongnuo flash, Not really played with it yet. It fires when fitted, but not sure if the camera is ‘seeing’ it properly as everything was massively over-exposed. This might just be settings, rather than incompatibility issues. Any tips?

As far as I know, there is only one dedicated L bracket for the RX10 III & IV (and one for the RX10 & RX10 II). It may be sold with different branding but a careful comparison will show they're all the same.

Is your Yongnuo flash Sony-dedicated or just a generic flash? If it's the latter then you'll need to learn the basics of manual flash exposure.

Last edited:
Is your Yongnuo flash Sony-dedicated or just a generic flash? If it's the latter then you'll need to learn the basics of manual flash exposure.

It's a generic flash - or may be a Canon version. I had hoped it would work with the Sony without too much faff as I replaced it for my 5D with the similar model Canon version.

It worked as a TTL flash with all my Canons (bar one) so I'm guessing that must be the case. I wondered if there was something I was doing (or wasn't doing) that was causing this.

Might have to look into a Sony dedicated flash then. It would probably be more useful to have something a little more compact anyway as that was the point of ditching the 80d and all the lenses and have something with range that's more portable. The Yongnuo is broadly equivalent in size/power to a 580EX.

As far as I know, there is only one dedicated L bracket for the RX10 III & IV (and one for the RX10 & RX10 II). It may be sold with different branding but a careful comparison will show they're all the same.

No one's had any issues with any of these? i.e. is ther one 'brand' that would be recommended over and above something else?

Flashes are as transferable between camera brands as lenses, or possibly less so as sometimes you can use a adapter on a lens. I suggest having a look at the Godox range of flashes.

As I said, they're all the same. Just pick the seller with the best feedback.

Couple from a very early play this weekend.

Still trying to work out some of the settings. Buying second hand meant it already had some weird things dialled in - Like the autofocus square in spot mode was sitting bottom left of screen...

Clearly, one of the first things you do when you get a camera/lens with a 600mm equivalent is go and shoot everything at 600mm, just 'cos you can.

It was quite clear last night, so I took these while I had the opportunity. Hand held.

DSC00170 by Kell, on Flickr

DSC00171 by Kell, on Flickr

And then took these.

DSC00120 by Kell, on Flickr

DSC00151 by Kell, on Flickr

Flashes are as transferable between camera brands as lenses, or possibly less so as sometimes you can use a adapter on a lens. I suggest having a look at the Godox range of flashes.

As I said, they're all the same. Just pick the seller with the best feedback.

Not bothered with an L bracket just yet, but did look at Godox flashes and picked up a TT350. Not used it in anger yet, but seems to suit both the camera size and my travel requirements.

Nice work Kell :clap:

I did a similar Zoom showoff thing a while back - like to see the full framers beat that without a lens change or two ;)

ZOOM! by Mike Smith, on Flickr

I think this is the solution I should have bought some time ago.

I asked about an all-in-one lens for walkabout shots. Ended up with a 35-350L lens. (SH obvs).

I quite liked it, but it was very soft at anything under f/8, was very heavy and ‘only’ went to 350mm.

I probably should have looked at a bridge camera back then as an alternative solution

Last edited:
Not bothered with an L bracket just yet, but did look at Godox flashes and picked up a TT350. Not used it in anger yet, but seems to suit both the camera size and my travel requirements.
Sensible choice. It's what I'll be taking with me when we go away in a couple of days.

Not been on for awhile................March was a "wash out"!!
April seems better! once we get through this week!

A couple of recent images from me. Panny FZ1000/500D close up filter attached. Basic editing, Jpeg, Handheld, Autofocus. No cropping.
Cheers Paul.

A Comma Butterfly.
Comma Butterfly. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

A Common Lizard.
Common Lizard. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good camera bag for the RX10 (one that can be easily carried over the shoulder when out and about)?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good camera bag for the RX10 (one that can be easily carried over the shoulder when out and about)?

I have a couple of bags that fit.

The Crumpler Jimmy-bo 400 and the Manfrotto on the left. I have to be careful about recommending the Manfrotto as I think there must be several that look similar, but are different sizes.

A friend of mine saw mine and asked if the one she was looking at online was the same one. I thought it was, (I didn’t have mine with me) but when it turned up it was tiny.

Anyway, the code inside mine says MB SH-66B.

Personally, I prefer using the Manfrotto as the opening is bigger (as is the bag) so I think it’s easier to get the camera in and out.

That said, I don’t tend to use the bags in this way as I carry my cameras on sling straps.

For the record though, the Manfrotto allowed me to fit in my RX10, a Godox TT330, a double battery charger for the camera, spare batteries for the flash and a plug in charger for the flash batteries.

Here’s how they look.
IMG_3593.jpeg

Last edited:
I use a Think Tank MirrorlessMover 30i on the basis that, if I can't fit it in then I'm carrying too much. This is an old photo so it's got my RX10M3, HVL-F43M and a tabletop tripod. At the moment it's got my OM-5 with 12-100mm and a bottle of water.
T-T M-M 30i.jpg

Back