High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Is a newer version of Silkypix available on line?

Is a newer version of Silkypix available on line?
Good idea, :)

I am downloading the free trial as I type. Thanks.

I downloaded the Silkypix 10 on a free trial. It isn't as refined as Nikon's RAW conversion and image editing program, but it does the job. The current version, Silkypix 11 is around €80. The version I am trialling is a third of the price so that is what I will go with.

Whilst I am more than happy with the image quality of the V-LUX there are a few things that are disappointing. First impression after switching it on was that it feels plasticky. The milling of the control knobs give a sharp, harsh feel a bit like those on Russian rangefinders. Macro is poor. Possibly a trade off from the 28mm-400mm zoom range. Minimum aperture of f8 is disappointing too. And the menu and function buttons leave a lot to be desired. Leica call it The Swiss Army Knife of cameras. I think Jack of All Trades, Master of None might be more appropriate. It is a handy camera for travelling light and will do most things I use a camera for, the notable ommission being macro, and the low light ability is great, but it is only the image quality that sets it apart from my old DMC38.

Angeac Water View.jpg

Pierre Portrait Format Web.jpg

Peruvian Dancer.jpg

Chapelle Bois du Rat Interior View.jpg

Some photos from my Leica V-LUX taken in the few days. I am very pleased with the image quality, high iso performance and auto-focus. Not so impressed with the macro facility and imo unnecessary features that would be welcome on a pro-spec dSLR, but seem out of place on a bridge camera. I haven't yet worked out how to strip the features that I don't need from the Quick Menu.

At a carriage driving competition I just let the camera sort out the exposure. There are areas burnt out, but I doubt that these could have been avoided given the bright shafts of sunshine perforating the tree canopy. Even in RAW and dragged back three stops there is still no detail in the bright spots, but the harnesses and helmets were blacked out completely, so I think that the camera got it right.

Percheron Pair  L1030087.jpg

The river scene is a similar story regards exposure. What I have found though, as with virtually every autofocus camera, the camera always settles on the nearest point within the selected zone in this case the trailing foliage. I can however use the lens shroud to tweak the focus and push it back a bit after the AF had settled. I like that

Angeac Water View.jpg

The third photo shows the image quality that the camera is capable of in the right light. Today there was a light to medium cloud base that diffused the sunlight. The bokeh is nothing special, but then again it is a bridge camera, not an SLR. This is a small photo so not ideal to show it. The detail in the full sized RAW file is incredible.

Sunflowers Portait .jpg

Thank you for the kind words. :)

The macro isn't really tested on the sunflowers. They are as big of dinner plates. I took a full screen shot of a resting moth the other day. The camera was 2 inches from the moth. Not ideal for butterfly hunting. Also, the edges of the image were very soft. The macro zoom function is also very disappointing. A cabbage white sized butterfly would be represented at around a quarter of the screen to be in focus. I think that it is a pay off for the 28-400mm (35mm format) zoom range and larger sensor.

Unexpected opportunity to capture some flutterbies this afternoon. There are still a few buddleia fronds about and were mainly attracting the Red Admirals. It gave me chance to experiment with the V-LUX close focus ability. These are as close as I could get without the lens hunting back and forward without locking onto anything. The AF was set to center weighted.

Red Admiral LSF 2.jpg

Red Admiral Bee & Buddelia 2 LSF.jpg

Not macro by any means, but at 24Mp RAW it does give plenty of cropping room if you want to eyeball the critters.

I am beginning to love the Leica V-LUX. Other than the macro weakness it seems to fit the bill as a handy one-stop camera for when I am out and about,

Gt Egret at Mas Chaban.jpg

Egrets in Trees 1 LSF.jpg

Dibbling Swan.jpg

What are people using to turn their cameras into Maro mode?

Is there a screw in/on filter of some sort?
Hi Kell - I have tried a few clip on/screw on adapters but generally just use 600mm at minimum focus distance (around a meter) and then crop in. The bee shot just above and the dragon fly a bit further up were done like this :)

Hi Kell - I have tried a few clip on/screw on adapters but generally just use 600mm at minimum focus distance (around a meter) and then crop in. The bee shot just above and the dragon fly a bit further up were done like this :)
Ah ok.

I thought there was some sort of weird contraption I was missing out on.

Ah ok.

I thought there was some sort of weird contraption I was missing out on.
Well you could try a Raynox clip on (needs a stepping ring and you get vignetting at shorter focal lengths) or something like a Canon 500D screw on lens to get closer but I've never found the results to be all that much better than the naked lens used as descibed. Cheers

Back