Mini-Roundabouts : Who has right of way?

HH wins!!!

Is the one in the middle actually a roundabout? If so, Hemel has 7. :p

I'm pretty sure they closed the exit that goes back into the town center ;)

But that's the problem. Because the traffic coming from the right only needs to slow down if the traffic ahead of them intends to turn across their path.

Two of the three mini roundabouts near me, that wasn't the issue. The issue is those wanting to turn right.....and traffic from the right was too constant for anyone to pull out and cross it.

I've just been and taken a couple of photos, will post them shortly.

I am assuming that you used to come to the T-junction on the minor road so you would have to give way to everyone, and nutters coming from your right had to give way to no-one. Now it is a mini roundabout you still have to give way to the nutters BUT they now have to give way to people from your left who want to turn right, which gives you a go at turning right which you never had before.

You wouldn't have pulled out to turn right out of the T-junction in front of a nutter, so why would you do it at a roundabout?

Breathe, and let the nutters go and have their accident with someone else. :)

Just out of interest, is getting out easier or harder now?

Heather

Last edited:
Technically nobody has right of way in this situation - or any other situation on the roads.

Check the Highway Code and RTA - the term is only ever used to classify roads i.e. a public right of way - never to assign priority to a vehicle in a situation.

The fact that one driver is to give way or priority to another does not confer right of way to that other driver. This is a common misconception.

I think a lot of situations like the ones described in this thread would be eliminated if people realised that they NEVER have right of way.

A bit holier than thou but apt:

This is the grave of Stephen Day,
He died defending his right of way,
His right was clear, his will was strong
But he is just as dead as if he’d been wrong.

Technically nobody has right of way in this situation - or any other situation on the roads.

Check the Highway Code and RTA - the term is only ever used to classify roads i.e. a public right of way - never to assign priority to a vehicle in a situation.

The fact that one driver is to give way or priority to another does not confer right of way to that other driver. This is a common misconception.

I think a lot of situations like the ones described in this thread would be eliminated if people realised that they NEVER have right of way.

You are splitting hairs by saying the Highway Code doesn't use the term "right of way".

When reaching the roundabout you should

give priority to traffic approaching from your right

Mini-roundabouts. Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts.

At double mini-roundabouts treat each roundabout separately and give way to traffic from the right.

"Give priority to traffic" and "Give way to traffic" has a pretty similar meaning to "right of way".

Don't think it's splitting hairs at all - right of way infers you may carry on regardless......

It is for this very reason the Highway Code is worded the way it is - and worded very carefully.

It does in the legal sense (IE as in 'Right of passage' etc) but in terms of discussions amongst motorists I'm pretty sure we all mean the same thing, in that it means 'I have priority over xxxx'

Interpreting it as having priority is fine - indeed there are road signs that indicate situations where vehicles travelling in a certain direction have priority.
However having priority is not the same as having right of way.

I wonder if it is the heat that makes people want to nitpick and argue? :shrug:

I'm sure every person who posted knows what was meant by right of way....

Sorry if you think it nitpicking - comes from many years of advanced motorcycle training and getting people to become safer riders by dropping the right of way thought process.

Back